SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_b85

RTRM: Furniture layout for MB, LR, Dining

Lindsey B
5 years ago

The consensus from “[We bought our first home, now what?[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rtrm-we-bought-our-first-house-now-what-dsvw-vd~5436515)” was 1. Not Rush to fill my new home 2. Plan, plan, plan 3. Add to my Houzz ideabooks. 4. Hunt for deals…. So here I am sharing dimensions and some photos.

As a reminder, because we are now financially invested in this, please be kind. I have thought of my first home for longer than I thought of my dream wedding. I used to by home plan magazines instead of wedding magazines as pre-teen. Because we knew we wanted a home very badly, my husband and I decided to do a City Hall wedding. We celebrated our 1st anniversary in May. 6 weeks later, we had moved half way across the country to TX, my DH transferred through his company, I left an amazing company, I started my own business, and the because we wanted a home ASAP, we made the (extreme/crazy/brilliant) decision to move into a 40 ft 5th wheel RV my husband had, and to live in my grandparents driveway which sits up next to about 100 acres of Texas prairie. We have dealt with 110 degree temps in the summer, and digits reaching in the low teens during the winter. We have made extraordinary sacrifices to buy a home we feel like is the best we could do. Our “want” list was incredibly long and specific (No range on island, range on outside wall if not properly vented, pool- but not a pool that is 6 feet from your back porch, not open concept, large pantry, oversize garage, RV/Boat parking, not west facing back yard, natural light, distance to airport. I could go on and on and on, but won’t). After lurking, reading, commenting and posting on houzz, I like to think I was more prepared than the typical first time home buyer—but I know I got wrapped up in the excitement it at least a little.

Could we have done “Better?” ALL things considered? I know some of you will feel that way, but honestly, I think the best way to look at it is “We could have done different.” Please be kind with your comments when you notice the flaws. There are for sure things I don’t love/ would not have picked (Like the stone/brick combo… and especially the stone- I don’t know what it is, but I don’t like it! Fortunately, it’s one of the “better” looking executions I have seen, but it’s not my favorite part of the home for sure).

The only furniture we have:

King size Adjustable base bed (No footboard no headboard)

Bedroom Set: 2 night stands, tall dresser, wide dresser ( this is old but decent quality, simple lines and eventually I will restain/paint and use in the guest bedroom or kids rooms)

What I would like:

MB: We have a large walk in closet. We don’t need much in terms clothing storage in the bedroom. The wall at the foot of the bed has a wall mounted TV. We aren’t huge TV people but may or may not want a TV here.

LR: I would love to be able to sit 6 people comfortably. I’m open to sectional, sofa, chairs.. but a majority of the seats need to recline. Our families like to put our feet up, and nothing says comfort to me like reclining. And I don’t want feet on the coffee table. I know the debate of TV above fire place is a heated on. I don’t really see another option. I DO want to find a mount to lower it to a better viewing angle AND a way to hide the TV either behind a mirror, or art or something. Current furniture layout has you walking through the room to get to the MB. I’m okay with this, as I know if we pull the sofa off the wall of windows, it greatly reduces the seating. But who knows… surprise me!

Dining: I’d like to be able to sit 6 very comfortably, or 8 a little tight when needed. I’ve loved round dining tables forever, but not sure if it would work in the space. Kitchen has many cabinets so I don’t need a huge hutch to store things, but a buffet table or the likes would be nice.

Currently, it is just the two of us. But we love to entertain. Usually we host 2-4 additional people at a time. Holiday’s would be more (10-15).

I’m excited to start seeing it come together (even if I can’t buy anything until we get moved in sometime between late Sept and late Oct).

I’m leaning on Houzz, because I know what I am good at. I am great at hosting guests, planning menus for parties, and baking/cooking. I enjoy the design aspect of a home design/layoubut I am no where near qualified to go it alone! Thank you! If you want to follow our journey, look for RTRM in the subject line. I'll be posting something about it soon.

I put dimensions on anything I had hard numbers on.

Photos of the areas shown above:

And a few more who are just here to see the rest of the house:

Cheers!

-L

Comments (30)