SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Make-the-night-before pack-able breakfast for HS CC runner

AJCN
5 years ago

Times are a-changin'. My youngest of 4 is a cross country runner and about to start high school. My older kids did sports that always worked out after school, but cross country is always before school. She's not going to want much at 5:25 am - maybe drink a few sips of tea, have a few bites of toast or some plain cheerios, or maybe a couple spoonfuls of oatmeal. My question pertains to the breakfast they eat at school. After running they eat breakfast, shower, and go to class. The cafeteria food is no good, and I want her to eat something that will take her through til lunch. She is my only kid that insists on taking all advanced classes and I know it will be taxing, so I want to fuel her up each day. It needs to be hearty and pack-able. There are a few microwaves in the cafeteria, so it could be brought cold and re-heated. For her entire school-life she's taken a packed lunch, so we are used to doing that. Two ideas we have come up with so far are:

• Oatmeal in an insulated food canister. She likes oatmeal and it will have carbs and protein and will probably/hopefully take her through to lunchtime.
  • Make-the-parts-ahead egg muffin sandwiches: I can cook turkey bacon on the weekend and keep in fridge for a few days. I can make a "sheet" version of scrambled eggs and stack them and save for a few days in fridge. In the am I can assemble an egg sandwich, wrap in foil and send cold with a cold pack. Then she can microwave it for 30 seconds at school.

Both of these options would have other stuff put in the breakfast sack such as fruit, nuts, and water. But these are the only 2 ideas we have so far. If there are some other ideas out there I would love to hear them.

Since I have to drive her so early, my other high-school kid will wake up, get ready for school, hop on the bus, and I will never see him because I'll be on my way to work; so he will also benefit from a make-ahead breakfast item ready and waiting for him to grab. My college kid who lives at home can take care of himself.

If anyone has some more clever ideas I'd really appreciate hearing them, thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio