SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Any runners in our midst?

IdaClaire
13 years ago

(Or joggers?) I've decided to try to get back into a running routine and have heard the Couch to 5K program mentioned by a friend. I'm pretty far beyond couch potato mode, but don't feel I could run a 5K. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or input on this particular program?

I used to run regularly, participating in 5K and 10K events and at one point considered training for a half-marathon (but never quite made it that far), and I really enjoyed my time spent pounding the pavement. Over the weekend I found a good deal on a decent pair of running shoes, and yesterday I decided to try running on the treadmill at the gym (boring, but a good way to gauge my current ability) and was pleased to find I had a lot more stamina than I expected.

Just curious as to whether anyone else here enjoys running (I know Trailrunner is an avid participant), and if you could share your routine/training schedule, etc.

Comments (46)

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I tried the Couch to 5K thing a while ago. I don't think that I ever actually made it to running 5K without stopping. But it is a good program.

I am a treadmill person. I like being in a climate controlled place, and I like watching TV while I run/walk. I do intervals, I'll walk for a tenth of a mile, then jog or run for up to half a mile. I cover 3 miles in under 40 minutes this way. But I'm not a natural distance runner. I find running a steady pace to be very boring. I prefer sprints. So I'm thrilled that Interval Training is the latest buzz word in fitness.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm very interested in intervals too and have been paying attention to all the latest "findings"! A couple of months ago I started doing interval training - if you can call it that, and I guess you can! - on the elliptical, set to "hill" mode, and I get a much better workout than when I just do a straight manual routine. Last night I did the treadmill for 30 minutes, walking 2 minutes at 4.1 mph and running 5 minutes at 5.5 to 5.7 mph. I was sweating like a pig when I finished, but made myself to 15 minutes on the elliptical. I half-jokingly asked DH to carry me to the car when we were leaving the gym. My routine lately has been an hour of cardio when I'm not doing weights, and 45 minutes of cardio on the days that I also weight train. I think if I'm running - and especially doing intervals - I'll be able to cut back significantly on the time spent doing cardio and still see measurable gains in my fitness level. At least that's what I'm hoping! I'm eager to the get to the point where I can run a 5K without stopping, but I think that's probably still a good ways off. Still, I've talked to a friend about doing a 5K with me in the near future, and she's agreed - so at least it's a goal to shoot for.

Are you still hooping? I'm sorry to say I haven't done it in awhile.

• Related Discussions

Mulberryknob/ author in our midst

Q

Comments (37)
    George, that is great news. The trend now seems to be to hire temp workers and there are several reasons for it. Some companies do it so they don't have to pay benefits, but others do it because it is a way to test them out before they have to make a real commitment to them. I am sure you will do great and if there is a permanent job behind that temp, they will want to keep you. Prays are answered, aren't they?
    ...See More

OT.....Midst of a MESS...

Q

Comments (9)
    I cracked up, Punk, over the boyfriend thing....I totally spaced out and forgot that is what BF usually means. I should have typed in BFF (best friend forever). I had always mentioned my Dad by the full word cause DD meant dear daughter in my little nerd world. I easily get confused with the abbreviations myself. By the way, my 'other best friend' IS a guy...tho definitely not a boyfriend LOL. John has been my antiquing and dog show buddy for quite a few years, does the driving for me which is a huge help. Maybe I should refer to him as Dear John. LOL. He couldn't help us cause of his work schedule, but Mollie is a little dynamo! We had this placed all done by noon today and could enjoy lunch and relaxing a couple of hours after our work. More in another post with pix about today, and more pix. Janet, I'm so sorry you are in a Flare. Those things just can knock you flat on your butt and make it impossible to do much of anything. Take care of yourself, please. Oh, and you cracked me up too with your "dear dumb" sig. Too funny. That shoe can really fit me at times too. ;o) hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Have any suggestions for our stairs?

Q

Comments (11)
    You find that kind of dark shadowing even on newer furniture. We have an oak living room set, Amish made, and on one arm chair, the dark has started where body oils have accumulated on the wood. It's almost 'gunky' and you feel like you could scrape it off carefully. Oils oxidize and darken, just like zits. LOL. Back when I was a child, wooden floors were the norm and not not the exception and wooden floors and furniture was oiled to keep it looking shiny. It was common for the lesser used part of a floor or stair tred to darken from lack of wear. I think your project may turn out to be less of a problem than you think, and the wood looks like it's in good repair. The steel wool and soap will remove paint spatterings. I use it routinely on my wood floors when I find paint spatters, and that's so common when people use rollers, as opposed to brushes.
    ...See More

I need a runner in my kitchen to protect wood floors? Any thoughts?

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm not a fan of rugs in a kitchen because of the risk of tripping (I'm a person that trips over my own two feet). We do have one in front of the patio doors in the eat in area. However, over the years the wood underneath is a bit darker than the rest of the area that wasn't covered. Our kitchen/eat in area faces west, and even though we have protective lining on our windows and doors, we still get a lot of sun. So just a warning that over time the floor that the rug covers may be a different color than the rest of the room.
    ...See More
  • terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Yes, I am hooping about 4 days a week. I usually hoop while watching TV (sort of a theme with me). I hoop during the show, then during the commercials I do some exercises with a kettlebell or do push up, sit ups and squats.

• User
    13 years ago

My foot's good now and I've been running again. I hate distance and normally do intervals. Since I'm getting in better shape, I've been pushing myself to do more miles consistently. It was easier doing intervals at first. (Again, could also be because I hate distance.) At the most it's 2.5 to 3 miles at a time. I'm trying to be careful and mix it up with other cardio so I don't end up with any injuries.

I'm sure Trailrunner will chime in here with her expertise. Good luck with your race!

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

AJ, running 5.5 to 5.7 for five minutes is pretty good!

I also prefer a treadmill. My routine is anywhere from 4.0 if I'm using a 12% incline to 5.0 to 5.5 if I'm on a lower incline. 5 miles is my usual goal on my non weight days and it takes anywhere from 52 to 68 minutes, depending on the incline I use (I have to be careful of my knees, otherwise I'd up the speed).

You can definitely do the 5K!

Every year I have a goal to run (jog, crawl) the marathon, but no matter what shoes I use and I've used every brand, my feet just aren't up to it.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks, you inspire me to get back to hooping! I do work out daily, but just haven't kept up with that aspect of it. I'll bet if I took my hoop to the gym with me, I'd get lots of envious looks from people wanting to try it out themselves! ;-)

Shee, it's awesome that you're running 2.5 to 3 miles! Do you run outdoors or on a treadmill? I hear you on fearing injuries. My knees are somewhat weak (I have old injuries), and my ankles have been sprained or broken more times than I can even recall, and that's partly why I stopped running completely a few years back. I've really missed it though. There's something so liberating about an all-out run - even if it's done indoors! I crave that feeling once more.

Marlene, you've gotta be getting a heckuva workout using the incline like that. I've done some treadmill work recently walking and doing incline intervals, and look forward to getting there with running eventually. My friend who said she'll do a 5K with me ran a half marathon in March, and she was on a "high" for days after. That's got to be such a terrific sense of accomplishment. Never mind the fact that her toenail fell off. ;-D

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

marlene, racewalking is every bit as demanding as running...how about racewalking a half marathon? You don't have to look like a nut to do it, btw. I haven't been able to run for years because of my knees (severe chondromalacia, ortho waiting for the word to get me under the knife, I won't do it) but I racewalk and swim/AQX and that is keeping me in shape and building muscle(if not melting the belly pounds off). I *tried* a somewhat radical running program a few months back but ended up hurting my knees even more, so I've learned my lesson. No land running for me. Only in the pool :)

jen, my DH is trying one of those "assume nothing at the start" programs, even though he's actually a runner from way back in HS (distance/XC varsity) and has coached DD's distance squad at her track club here. He's trying that program as a means of working himself back to his HS mile time in a different way from how he usually trains. I can find out what specific program he's using if you want.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fly, I'd love to know more about his program!

I agree that racewalking is as demanding as running - I would venture to say even more so, as your feet must maintain contact with the ground so you aren't afforded that brief flight that you get in running that seems to relieve some of the "hard work" (if that makes any sense). I've been intrigued by racewalking for quite awhile. Before I started running years ago I got into power walking, which is almost race walking (but not quite!) and I lost 40 pounds doing that and really toned up. My legs became very sculpted, especially the calves!

I actually started running by accident a number of years ago. I arrived at a very popular local 10K event, planning to walk. In this event people were requested to group themselves by speed, and I arrived late and got in with the "wrong crowd." Before I knew it, I was caught up among a group of Marines who were running, and it was either run with them, get trampled, or just give up. I chose to run, and I loved every step of it.

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Fly, yes, I've thought of doing the half marathon as a racewalker, but I am so competitive with myself that while training, I always injure myself. Fantastic for you to do all you do considering your fibro. Amazing!

AJ, yep, loss of toenail sport injury! My podiatrist and pedicurist are my toes best friends!!

I really wish I could find the "perfect" shoe. I feel exhilarated when I jog/run and my body really does feel like going further. It's my darn feet. I think my feet know they are 62 and the rest of my body is in denial.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Jen, you should get a Travel Hoop I can just see you hooping on the beach in Puerto Vallarta! Actually that's what I want to do. My DH is working again, so we are thinking of planning a trip. Right now it's between PV and somewhere in Hawaii, since we have never been to Hawaii before.

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Terri, I am SO happy your DH is working. I know it was a tough year for you! Since you haven't been to Hawaii, I highly recommend it. (Of course, I've never been to Mexico.)

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Thanks marlene (sorry to side track this thread!)
    Here's the crazy thing - he was offered (and accepted) a job with the company that laid him off last year. It is actually a better job than the one that he had. He is actually the "boss" for the company's branch in our area. We thought for sure that we would have to move, because jobs (especially well paying jobs) aren't too plentiful in this area. I was actually kind of disappointed not to be moving on, since I know that none of our kids has any interest in living in this area again. I would really prefer to be in a bigger city, or at least within an hour's drive to a large metropolitan area. But I am thankful that he is working again, and we can start planning for the future - including fun things like vacations!

• User
    13 years ago

I'm normally on a treadmill. Even though I'm in the country I don't really like cars going by. I guess that's about silly as there are people at the gym. Hmm...

My sister and I have been running outside at least once a week together and I can really tell a difference between that and the treadmill. You work more muscles.

Ha, we were out last week and it started to pour all of a sudden. We were saying how we would've stayed home if we only knew. We then laughed as my sister said,"Oh well, we look like hardcore dedicated runners!" Usually anytime I see someone out early in the morning running or when it's really cold, raining, snowing, etc. I view them as crazy but dedicated. :) I'll talk through my car at them and ask why on earth they're not in bed still, etc.

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

That is so fantastic, Terri, and what a relief! Happy tears !!!(seriously....it's so good to hear positive news for a change).

I don't think anyone minds this thread being sidetracked for such wonderful news!

I think things are getting better in the Portland area also. I ran into the Cheesecake Factory yesterday to get a jar of their hot fudge (the best) and I had to wait 15 minutes just to get that itty bitty to go order. They were so busy and it was just 5:00 p.m That is a good sign.

So that this post will be on topic, after I ate the hot fudge (almost the whole jar) with ice cream and whipped cream, I did go on the treadmill (I didn't move on it, I just stood there for a long time hoping the calories would burn themselves off).

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

terriks, great news !! glad for both of you...

I feel like such a wimp compared to all above but I've been doing 2 miles of speedwalking on the treadmill ( 3.6 to 4) at least 4 times a week.
    I've tried incorporating running at an incline for part of it, but one knee bothers me and my lower back complains the day after so I've found a formula that works for me.

I wish I could run and make the miles go faster, lol...

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks, that is indeed wonderful news about your husband's job! Congratulations to him, and I'm so pleased you're thinking of taking another trip! (Of course, I say PV! ;-)) That would be so cool to take a travel hoop with me! I think I'd be too shy to do it anywhere other than at the Blue Chairs though - and if you know that area, then you know that it's frequented by some fairly open-minded and tolerant individuals. ;-D

I watched the last part of "The Biggest Loser" tonight, where four of the contestants ran a marathon. Did anyone else see that? It was pretty darn motivating and inspirational - and obviously beyond grueling!

I did 5.10 miles on the treadmill tonight, most of it running - so I definitely did a 5K at the gym. That really made me feel awesome - well, at first. Now my calves feel like tightly balled fists and my toenail seems to be bruised. By the way, does anyone know what to do for a bruise toenail? It's the second toe on my left foot that always does this. I have to wear polish on my toenails, just to cover up that ugly dark bruise beneath the nail. I probably won't actually lose the toenail; it'll just be bruised and painful for quite some time. I just wonder if there's a way to prevent this from happening. It's not an issue with shoe fit - I think I just have a weird toe. :-/

• User
    13 years ago

Terriks - Congrats to your husband about his new job!

I watched The Biggest Loser tonight in awe. I don't know if I could run 26.2 miles. Question, what if they have to go to the bathroom? Seriously, do they scamper off to the woods?

• golddust
    13 years ago

Right now, I'm a gimp. I pulled my Achilles and am laid up. I must get back on the treadmill!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! Well, when my friend did her half marathon, she said there were porta-potties about every mile or so. And she was a bundle of nerves, so she actually had to pop into them a time or two while on the course (ugh!).

The guy who came in first - wasn't his time just a hair over 4 hours? That amazed me! And these folks were still heavy people. When I think of marathon runners, I think of people with long, lean muscle mass. The BL contestants sure blew that stereotype right out of the water. Just proves that if people set their minds to something, they can do it!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mitch, don't discount walking! It's wonderful exercise, and as I said above - walking alone (combined with proper eating habits) caused me to lose 40 pounds several years ago. Not that you're walking to lose weight - but it's obviously highly effective exercise when done at a brisk pace.

Golddust, sorry you're injured! Hope you're on the mend soon and able to get back to the treadmill.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Jen - 5.1 miles = 8.2K! That's awesome!

Mitch, you aren't a wimp. I think that the most important thing is that you are doing something, and speedwalking really works the tush.

Thanks all for the congrats on DH's job. Sadly, less than a week after he was offered the job his father passed away. It was very sudden. He was only 77 and didn't have any major health problems. He had been sick with a cold, and developed pneumonia, which went septic. Fortunately my DH had just had a nice long phone conversation with him the day he was offered the job, which was on a Monday. My MIL called on Friday morning to tell us that he was in the hospital, (we didn't even know that he was sick at that point) and my husband packed a bag and got in the car and drove the 11 hours to British Columbia, where his parents live. Unfortunately his dad lost consciousness before my DH could get there. By Sunday he was gone. It was a huge shock, but it was definitely the way that my FIL wanted to go. He always talked about not wanting to be an invalid, or hooked up to machines, or have a long drawn out illness. It just made our recent good news so bittersweet. Also made us both think more about living in the NOW.

Sorry again for the thread hijack!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Man, I'm so tired and I have stuff to say about posts in this thread but I just don't have the energy.

At any rate, here's the link, jen.

Here is a link that might be useful: what DH is doing

• User
    13 years ago

I came here to mention The Biggest Loser last night, saw it was mentioned and wanted to comment about that, scanned and completely missed how Jen ran over 5 miles!! Sorry!

Way to go, Jen! I bet you felt fabulous in a stiff kind of way when you were done. :)

• User
    13 years ago

Hey AJ , as you can imagine life has been hectic since I got home on May 5th from my bike ride. I read with interest the posts above. I am including a link for you concerning the black toenail. It has all of the info I think is really important for you to see concerning prevention and treatment and cause. I hope it helps.

Repetitive movement is the reason for more injuries than anything else. Think "tennis elbow" etc. You are right to do intervals and to change the slope of the treadmill for that reason. You never ever want to get "into the zone" and do mile after mile on the treadmill or any other machine , in an unchanging pattern.

You were talking also about your stiffness and the calves being bunched. That has several sources. You really shouldn't increase distance more than 10% in your workout plan. So each week up the distance only that much to avoid injury. Also you can get off the treadmill and stretch for a few seconds to relieve the tightness while you are working out. Be sire to stretch a long time after your workout. Also never stretch when you are warming up but wait till after a mile and then begin stretching. It is a great way to get injured if you stretch cold muscles and tendons and ligaments...wait one mile till the blood is flowing.

You noted , I believe, that the running outside was more work. It is the case in any exercise that if you do it for real, by that I mean a real bike or real roads or trails you will get more benefit. Of course not everyone can get outside to participate in that way but there is a huge benefit if you can.

When you are outside you have the elements that add to the intensity of your workout. The temperature and the wind and the terrain all add to the effort you expend. You will also notice that you get interval training builtin as you have hills and flats to deal with. I became a real proponent of trail running for that reason. Every single step you take is a different one so you don't have to worry about injury to one part. Also you get the benefit of all over toning since you are using upper body for balance and you get more toning to hips as well due to hills and need for balance.

I don't have a set training program any more. When I work out I do lower body 3 days a week. I do 3 sets on each of 5-6 machines. I only do upper body one day a week since I am blessed with really defined uppers and don't need anymore definition. I also swim 1 mile a day for about 6 months a year in my pool. I ride my bike to the gym, it is 12.5 miles each way now as my gym moved, so that adds to the cross training. I do want to say as mentioned above that cross training is the best friend anyone can have. It eliminates one more area where injury can be a problem.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is "real work". I never look better or shaplier or lose more weight than when I am doing real work...that is digging holes, pounding nails, painting, cutting the grass and pruning etc. You see folks with muscles and the ones that consistently look the best and most normal are the ones that got those muscles the hard way , by working with their bodies not just pumping iron. So look for ways to use the body as an added benefit too. I will look forward to seeing everyone's progress . It is great to just keep moving no matter if it is in the gym or on the road and no matter fast or slow....

Here is a link that might be useful: black toenail

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wow, Terriks - I'm so very sorry for the loss of your father-in-law! What a shock it must have been that he succumbed so suddenly, but as you say, at least he didn't have to linger and I hope that knowing that's how he would have wanted it helps ease the pain. I hope you and your DH are comforted by many happy memories, and I admire your determination and courage to be more mindful of living in the present.

The running I did last night is felt severely this morning. Ugh. While I was proud of the distance I was able to cover, I knew at the time that I was pushing too hard too soon, and today I'm having that lesson driven home to me each time I get up and move around the room.

Fly, thanks so much for the link! I'm going to return to doing the walk-run method, and work up to where I can run distances without walking like an invalid the day after. I'll have to invest in a stopwatch so that I can practice this while running outdoors too. :-)

Trailrunner, thank you for the wealth of information that you've shared as well! I pretty much consider you to be our resident expert, so appreciate you sharing what you know. Wow - you cycle 12.5 miles to the gym and then work out?! Amazing, woman! I fully agree that cross-training is invaluable, and that good old-fashioned hard physical work turns a soft body into a hard one! I try to be mindful of exerting as much physical effort as possible. Even doing things like loading myself down with bags of groceries and carrying them from the car to the house, instead of taking just two or three bags in a time - I think that every seemingly little thing like that adds an overall benefit. DH will often ask me if I want him to carry a heavy item that I'm carting around, and I make it a point to refuse his assistance. ;-)

I tried trailrunning a few times a number of years ago, back when I was running regularly and also doing a lot of backpacking and just enjoyed being out on the trails. That was tough, and probably one of the best workouts I've ever had.

Thanks very much too for the info on the bruised toenail. It's not painful right now - but I'm wearing open-toed sandals. I'm afraid that when I go to put my sneakers on this evening for the gym, I'll really feel it. I've got a couple pairs of Thorlo socks that have really good padding in the toe area, and might need to invest in a few more since my other socks are cheaper and a bit flimsier.

Gosh, even though I'm stiff and sore as all get-out today, just thinking about running makes me want to get up and do it again. ;-)

• awm03
    13 years ago

I ran daily when I was younger & thinner. Still need to lose weight to run comfortably now, but have worked in some jogging with my other exercise & can do 5 miles in an hour. Still taking a spin class twice a week, & will put in an hour on my elliptical or step bench if I'm not out biking. My main thing is cycling, though, and am putting in longer rides now to get ready for RAGBRAI.

Most importantly, I've lost 25 pounds since Halloween :)

Here is a link that might be useful: RAGBRAI

• User
    13 years ago

terriks, I am so sorry about your father-in-law, somehow I missed that part of the post. I am certain that is was terribly shocking in someone that wasn't even in poor health. I am very glad that your DH has gotten such a boost in his career, that is great considering how much the work climate has gone through.

AJ,you are a trip, I know you want to get back out there but like you said it doesn't do any good to beat yourself up. If you can get back out on trails I know you will love it again.

awm that is awesome that you are doing RAGBRAI. The folks I just cycled with have all done it in the past. I hope you will give us a full report and pics when you do it. 25 # is AMAZING . Everyone seems to have found what works for them which is what it is really all about. c

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Yes...I'm a runner. Your workout of 4mph walking & running & 5.5 - 5.7 is normal for me on a treadmill. I do indoor workouts in the winter....I too sweat like a pig. Then can't run my usual 5-9mi outside once winter is over. It's not the same workout. I'm just getting outdoors again. It's like starting over. :0) I'm hiking 6 mi once a week also. Using handweights while sitting at my desk. In a few weeks I'll be up to speed again.

I don't run races.

• kimberlyrkb
    13 years ago

I have used the Couch to 5K a few times and really like it. It eases you into running a 5K very gently. When I have tried to get back into running without a program like this, I have regretted it - I tend to do it too quickly and end up stiff and sore and hating it. I actually ENJOY running when I use C25K to get started.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

One time I got as far as printing out the Couch to 5K program. Does that count? My niece did it about a year ago, finished a 5K and is now gearing up for a marathon.

Auntjen - you ran a 10K with a bunch of Marines by accident???? That is so funny.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awm, RAGBRAI looks like such a cool event! I wish we had something similar in my area. DH and I both have bikes but haven't been on them in quite awhile ... we need to get back to cycling again! Great exercise and lots of fun.

I haven't run since my "marathon" 4+ miles on the treadmill earlier in the week. The day after I did that I started getting a scratchy throat which then went into a full-blown cold, so I've been feeling pretty icky and have tried to take it easy. I'll definitely ease back into my running though. I'll go back to the walk-run-walk method and build up, instead of rushing headlong into it.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

You've all inspired me to kick my routine up a notch; I've been doing 3 minutes of running at 5, in my daily 2 mile treadmill walk, did 4 sequences yesterday.

I have couch to 5K ready to print out, and I've downloaded the app on my IPhone.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome, mitch! You go, girl! :-D

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I bought a bike about 10 years ago, thinking that I'd get into riding, but it has been gathering dust. My biggest problem is that I live on a hill, and I doubt I would be able to ride back up!

I have always thought that it would be very cool to take a bike tour somewhere. I have a friend that did one in New Zealand. It would be an awesome way to see the sights.

• awm03
    13 years ago

terriks, use those gears! You'll develop the strength to ride the hill sooner than you think. I live in a hilly area too, and had to tackle hills immediately (in addition to hauling too much weight) when I started riding 13 years ago. Just take your time, stop if you need to, but do use the biggest back cog & the smallest front cog.

• awm03
    13 years ago

Auntjen, there are lots of events in Texas. (That's where you live, right?) Hopefully, some of these are close to you. I'll bet you could easily do 30 miles as you're in great shape to begin with. It would just be a matter of breaking into a bike saddle first to avoid a sore tush.

Good going, mitchdesj, for adding intervals to your routine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas bike rides

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Yeah, I really should dust off the bike and use it. I think to start I'll load it in the back of the car and drive it to the bike trail.

Today I walked/ran 3 miles in 35:50 minutes. I started by walking at 4mph for one tenth of a mile, then I started my intervals. I ran .4 mile at 5mph, then walked for a tenth of a mile, then another .1 mile at 5mph, increasing to 6mph for another .1 mile. I did two more intervals of .2 miles at 6 mph, then started my 7 mph intervals. I ran five .1 mile intervals at 7mph, walking at 4mph for a tenth mile between each. I have just started adding in 8mph intervals and did 2 of those at the end, each a tenth of a mile. So in the 3 miles I ran a total of 1.7 miles.

• awm03
    13 years ago

great, terriks. How do you feel? Hope you start reaping the benefits of your extra work.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks, I thought of you last night as I was running (briefly) at 6.5 mph. 8 mph? WHEW!!! I don't know when I'll ever get there, but you inspire me to keep trying! :-)

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Like I said, I've always been more of a sprinter! I only run at 8mph for a tenth of a mile, which takes less than 60 seconds.
    My basic routine is that I split my treadmill time into tenth of a mile segments. I do a total of 5 tenths of a mile at each speed - 5mph, 6 mph and 7mph. I walk for a tenth/mile, which gives me about 90 seconds recovery time between running segments. I add in the 8mph segments if I feel up to it at the end. I have built up my endurance that I can do some of the segments at the lower speed consecutively without walking in between. I always walk (for now) between each 7mph segment. I like to limit my walking to just a tenth of a mile at a time (about 90 seconds recovery time), but sometimes I need longer and walk for .2 mile.

• marlene_2007
    13 years ago

Terriks, terrific! I'm really impressed and jealous. I've never even reached 6 mph...and I've been using the treadmill for decades. I have been jogging (very slowly) at a 12% incline to get my heart rate up, but could never do the speed you do.

What is so great about these threads, is that they are incentives to challenge oneself.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

12% incline?!! My treadmill only goes to 10%. I have enough trouble walking at that incline, let alone jog!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know what you mean, terriks! I attempted to jog for about 1/4 mile last night with the treadmill set to a measly 1% incline and thought I might die! ;-)

Marlene, you must have buns (and hamstrings and calves) of steel!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terriks, you were my inspiration this past weekend when I was doing my treadill work. I did 4 miles, alternating a 4.3-4.5 mph walk with sprints - and you motivated me to really kick my speed up there. I was able to run for a couple of 1.5 to 2 minute intervals at 7 mph and just for grins (and because you'd done it!) kicked the speed up to 8.0. Whoooooa Nelly! I was flying as fast as I could (I was actually a bit nervous about flying off the back end of the machine), and managed to do that speed for a whopping 30 seconds. And then I thought I might actually die. What a tremendous motivator, though, just seeing that I could actually do it! I'm definitely encouraged to keep sprinting and striving for more speed, so I thank you for getting me there!

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

It's kind of exhilirating to run that fast isn't it? I know what you mean about being a bit nervous about keeping up with the treadmill. I have to admit that I have been a bit of a slacker and haven't spent much time on the treadmill since last week. Now you are motivating me to get back on.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Exhilarating indeed! I think running has kind of amped up my testosterone level or something. DH said I positively swaggered out of the gym after that run on Sunday!
    ;-)