SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Mulberryknob/ author in our midst

Macmex
14 years ago

Hey folks,

Jerreth and I dropped in on Dorothy and Glenn on Friday. We had a wonderful visit, leaving laden with good things. They have a beautiful big garden. We left them a 18 1/2 lb Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin. Among other things, we got a copy of Dorothy's book. Yes, DOROTHY'S BOOK!

Here's to scoop: It's called "Keep Your Fingers in the Dirt: Lessons in Simple Living from the Oklahoma Hills," published by Xulon Press. Copyright 2009. ISBN 978-1-60791-340-5

Seems like an absolutely fascinating book. I just finished the first 30 pages, which were super. But then, one of our daughters is home from college. She latched onto the book and it's been hard to get from her!

The first chapter is "If Everything You Touch Turns to Manure, Keep Your Fingers In the Dirt." It tells how Dorothy was born in the Ozarks and then moved to California, to be with her parents, then; how she and Glenn moved back as newlyweds. It tells both of the difficulties they faced, and some of the good things about living here. But what really interested me, was all the intricate details about how people lived "out there," from the time of her grandparents till about the time she and Glenn moved onto the old homestead.

Other chapters include:

"You Can't Raise a Garden in a Johnson Grass Pasture" (Hmmm... I tried that back in 1981!)

"Young Hens are Layers; Old Hens are Stewers"

"Cowboys are Supposed to Ride Horses"

"It Don't take a Fancy Cook to Feed a Hard-Working Man"

and

"The Best Place to Raise Kids is in the Country"

There are more. But that should give you an idea. We're thrilled with the book. Not only is it entertaining. It's also informative.

Just thought I'd let all you know. This is one to have on your shelf if you're interested in the homesteading lifestyle or even Ozark culture and history; let alone the window it gives into Dorothy's life.

George

Tahlequah, OK

Comments (37)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

George,

What wonderful news! Thanks for the heads-up! I can't wait to get a copy and read it.

Dorothy,

Congratulations!!!! I hope you'll let us know where to find copies of your book.

Dawn

• merryheart
    14 years ago

Wow that book sounds like my kind of reading. Yes do tell everyone how to get copies! Congratulations to the author! What an accomplishment!
    G.M.

• Related Discussions

Dawn, will you be there?

Q

Comments (9)
    Ardmore has two libraries. They have the Ardmore Public Library, then they have Chickasaw Library. When I lived in the area, you either had to live in town or work in town to get a library card in Ardmore and they were very strict about it. I had one which I got when I was working in town, but I mostly used the Chickasaw Library. When we moved to Lone Grove, my children were sure that we had taken them to 'Green Acres'. They had lived lots of different places, so the first day that I took them to the library, they starting cracking up laughing in the car about a block before we got there. I had no idea what they were laughing about until they pointed to the 'Book Mobile' that was parked across the street from the library. They thought that was the public library.
    ...See More

Quotes - 4 - 12 - 17

Q

Comments (1)
    I like her quotes, not having grown up in the US I am not familiar with children's books, but they were popular it seems. I had to look her up, born in 1916 & still alive! How wonderful!
    ...See More

Quotes 8 - 20 - 17

Q

Comments (3)
    He doesn't seem to have much use for dogs. Maybe he never met one who is as fine a fellow as mine. But then again, he seems to love books. Maybe he has that redeeming quality.
    ...See More

Quotes 9 - 26 - 17 page 2

Q

Comments (1)
    don, I jsut copied and pasted all the Smiley quotes about horses to a friend of mine who rides almost every day. I grew up on a farm and rode myself as often as I could. Don't do that anymore, but appreciate the philosophy that makes it important.
    ...See More
  • Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just looked it up on Amazon.com. Here you go. It's $13.25.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keep Your Fingers in the Dirt

• Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

By the way. Dorothy did the painting from which they made the cover of this book.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

The book is available on Amazon.com and on Xulon's website. I am also selling autographed copies for $15.00 each plus 2.00 shipping. Anyone who is interested can order copies by writing to me in c/o Good News Fellowship, PO Box 1, Natural Dam, Ar 72948. I only get to that box once a week, so please have patience. I will mail books as soon as I can.

George, I didn't sign your book. Remind me next time I'm over there and I will if you like. And thank you so much for the kind words. Dorothy

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

How cool! I've added it to my Amazon wishlist for the next time the money fairy visits.

Diane

• p_mac
    14 years ago

and to those of you that are interested....I "googled" it and there's a preview on the googlebooks.com site. About the first 60 pages....just enough that now I've got to get it to find out what happened next....it leaves you hanging right after Dorothy & Glenn had to deal with a crazy neighbor that started a fire and blamed it on something else....and she finds out her first child is on the way!! I've attached a link to help others who might be curious.

Wonderful reading, Mulberryknob! And of course I want an autographed copy! I'll be sending you a check and a request!

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: Preview of Dorothy's book

• mjandkids
    14 years ago

Can't wait to read it :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

When George posted about Dorothy's book, I already had a couple of books in my Amazom.com shopping cart, so I went to that website, added Dorothy's book, and finished my order.

Today, UPS delivered my books and I've been sitting and reading for the last hour or so.

Dorothy, it is a great book and I am enjoying it so much. I love the cover art too. Clearly, Dorothy not only is an amazing person and gardener, but a great writer and talented artist as well. Since I'm only at the beginning of the book, I can't tell y'all how it ends, but I suspect that "they all lived happily ever after" and I am looking forward to the sequel because an author who has this many stories inside of her cannot stop at one book.

The only problem with starting this book in the middle of the day is that it means I am unlikely to finish today's "To Do" list because I'd rather read Dorothy's book.

Just from looking at the titles of the chapters, I am reminded of how much Dorothy and I (and many of you) have in common.....Johnson grass, copperheads, varmints, fire, the weather....and so much more.

So, y'all go ahead and do whatever work is on your schedule for this afternoon. With a cuddly kitten by my side, I am going to just sit here on the sofa for a while and read, read, read.

Congratulations, Dorothy, on your publishing accomplishment!

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Dawn.

And, Paula I learn things on this forum all the time. I didn't know google had a book site let alone that my book was previewed on it.

I got to thinking that for GW members if you want to email me through GW, I can send my home mailing address directly to you. Didn't want to post it publicly; I get enough unsolicited mail already.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Dorothy,

You are welcome.

I am loving the book.

I had to put the book down and go outside to do my evening animal chores. While I was outside, one of the cats plopped her big fluffy self down in the warm, indentation in the sofa cushion left by my rear end while I sat and read all afternoon. She was MOST unhappy when I came inside and reclaimed my spot on the sofa and the book--which she was using as a pillow. Nope, no spoiled-rotten lazy cats living here.

I am sure our paths will cross at a seed swap or some other gathering, Dorothy, and when they do, I'll bring my book with me to be personally autographed by the author.

Dawn

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Dawn - I'm sooooo envious! No - wait - don't tell me what happens next. I'm sending Dorothy the $ tomorrow!

=)
    Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Paula,

It is SOOOO wonderful. Dorothy is a great storyteller and I am so enjoying reading the book. You won't believe what happens next.....I had to go to page 60 to find out....and then once I knew the answer to that question, I went back to the beginning of the book and started there.

There are some parts that leave me giggling, like when Dorothy decides she wants to consider relocating at the end of Chapter 1. I giggled because I knew THAT didn't happen....but there have been a couple of times I have felt like that myself....and I am still here too.

You need to hurry up and get your book....I am SO far ahead of you now and I'm going to know the ending before you do. LOL

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

It is good, isn't it. I haven't ordered it yet, but I read the first 59 pages the first night and will have to order it to get the rest of the story. LOL

Since I was reading on my computer, I found myself stopping to look up the family on the census. Good job, Dorothy.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol, You know that I intended to buy the book as soon as George told us about it, but after I read the preview, I had to order it "now" so I could find out what happened.

I do love the stories that tell about the family members. I have noticed that people here in our rural area have to run though the whole family geneology thing with anyone new they meet so they can 'place' them in their proper context.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

And I am still learning things. "...look up the family on the census"? How do I do that?

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Dorothy, I have a subscription that allows me to do it. Tell me which family you are interested in and I will try to find them for you. Send me an email. Carol

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Dorothy, There is one census that you can see the Thomas Jefferson Davis family on without having a subscription.

Go to www.familysearch.org
    In the search engine put:
    Thomas Davis, birth 1845, use the plus or minus 5 years, United States and Arkansas.

When you see the choices, choose the one that says 1880 census, and it is the one in Washington County, Lees Creek. I am reading it as Thomas 35, born AR, father born VA, mother born NC. Nancy 28, born AR, parents born KY.
    Palina C 11, John N 10, Sarah S 8, William J 5, Seborn S 3, and Benj. C 1, children all born Arkansas.

The last of the children are on the 2nd page so use the little arrow in the right hand corner of that census screen and you can go to the 2nd page.

On the search page it also had Thomas Jefferson Davis as being the son of John Nathan Davis and Catherine Elkins, and TJ's birthday as 12 Mar 1845 White River AR. This entry will be someone's submission and not an official source.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Dorothy, I sent you a message thru Gardenweb showing your Davis family in 1850. Let me know if you don't get it, because sometimes their mail works well and other times not so much. I did see a Thomas Davis that had served in the Company you mentioned. His military record indicated he died in Blackburn AR on 2 Sep 1918. He joined 25 Apr 1864 and the age of 19 as a private in Fayetteville. It looks like his company fought in Washington County a month after he joined and was also involved in a battle in March of 1865. I also found a death record that matched that date.

I guess you will need to go put flowers on his grave to make this post about gardening. LOL

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Thomas was my grandfather's father. He died before my father was born, but Dad knew his grandmother, who survived him by several years. They are buried at the Blackburn cemetery where their descendants do place flowers at the decoration each June.

I have never taken the time to look up these records but a few years ago one of my cousins did and compiled a family history and recipe book. So part of that info she had put into the book. And some things I know because Grampa told me.

The John N mentioned in the 1880 census lost his right arm to a sorghum mill when he was a boy and learned shorthand with his left hand. He became the court reporter to "Hanging Judge" Parker at Ft Smith. There is a photo in the Ft Smith Museum that shows the court room with the Judge on the bench and Uncle John taking evidence in front of him.

Thanks for taking the time to look this up.

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Hi Dorothy!!! Just this late time tonite (10 pm in NE Norman) went out to check the fog situation. Guess what I found on my front deck? MY BOOK! I've been wanting to know the rest of the story in my few moments of down time and I'm SOOO glad it's finally here! I sent you an e-mail because this will be the perfect Christmas gift for someone very special on my list (my new-found sister). Going to tuck it in with some good reading and yes, Dawn, I'll now know what happened next!

Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Paula, I want to hear the "new found sister" story. Are you willing to tell it?

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Carol - LOL! well, heck yah! It's really not that big of deal to anyone by me but what-the-heck!???

I was born in 1957, birth parents very, very young people (mom almost 16 and father 15). North side of OKC had my mother's parents spearheading "the right thing to do". Here I am and the short story is I lived with my grandparents (mother side) for the first 6 years of my life and was always very close the them. They were wonderful people that still guide my life today. My Papaw loved his garden and I spent every minute I could with him out there. That nice lady named "mom" married this nice man named "dad" and I had a pretty decent upbringing...which meant other siblings as their life progressed but several years away from where I was (next one was 8 yrs younger, then 13 yrs, then the last was born on my 16th b-day). Later in life I decided to find my "birth father" and he was/is just not that big of deal (reason he wasn't there all along). However, after I'd decided to let that line die, his next oldest daughter decided to contact me. I was so scared...he'd told me so many things that didn't lend me to think she'd be open to having any contact with me. (She's only 3 yrs. younger than me) But WOW! Was I wrong and thank Goodness and the Good Lord! She is the BEST sister I could have possibly wanted and also, the BEST friend. She loves gardening, baking and all the "old value" things that I love also. I just couldn't be more blessed!! Dorothy's book about roots is just the perfect gift for her this Christmas. Kinda glad she doesn't read this forum or the cat would be outta the bag. SHHHH! Don't anybody tell her?

There you have it. But I'll warn you...my Sis and her DH have a photo business and I've already asked them to come out for the Spring Swap and take pics. Something we can all share! You won't even notice they're not one of us gardeners becuz they are (just not on the same scale). Just don't tell her I bragged on her ... she'd be embarrassed.

And at this time of Thanksgiving....I'm thankful for my pumpkins (just put up 8 pints of Pumpkin Butter!) and my Sister! Great Harvest!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

That's a great story and I am glad you and your sister found each other. Sometimes the very young make very bad decisions and it takes a long time for things to ever get better. I think it is justice when we suffer the consequences of our own actions, but I hate to see how it adversely affects others, especially children. It's also nice when you have family members that you really like, I see lots of brothers and sisters that grow up in the same house that aren't very good friends. Lucky you. Thanks for sharing the story.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Paula,

What a wonderful and heart-warming story and I am so thrilled for you and your 'new' sister that you found one another and that you have such a lovely and special relationship today.

I am enjoying Dorothy's book so much, and so is Tim. Much of Dorothy's and Glenn's experiences those first few years remind me of some of our own experiences when we bought this piece of land and began clearing it to build the house. I also love the fascinating family history.

And, best of all, we know the rest of the story.....i.e. that Glenn and Dorothy lived happily ever after. : )

Dawn

• Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great story Paula! That too is a story with a good ending. Isn't it wonderful to be able to stand and support family?!

BTW folks, I have a job interview today.

George

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Oh, George! That is great! Sending up prayers for ya!

Diane

• p_mac
    14 years ago

WOW, GEORGE!!! THAT'S WONDERFUL! You work really fast! Saying a little prayer and crossing my fingers too!

Paula

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Paula, mailed the book autographed to your sis today.

And George, still praying for you to get a wonderful job.

• Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey folks, I just received a call from Northeastern State University, physical plant. I am going to start working for them! It's only a temporary job. But I have hope that it will work into something permanent. The pay is lower than what I was getting. But it's a start. This is the only job I've investigated which has excited me, and that, because of the great supervisor I interviewed under.

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

George,

Congratulations! That is terrific news. A temporary job is better than no job....and I've seen lots of temporary jobs work into something permanent too. I am so happy for you and Jerreth and know that having a job (any job!) takes a load of worries off your shoulders.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Great news, so glad to hear it. What kind of work will you be doing? If you get a chance to meet any of the botany teachers, Monica Macklin is one of the best teachers and sweetest people I've ever met. It's been 15 years since I was there so don't even know if she is still there, but took Ok flora from her.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

George, that is great news. The trend now seems to be to hire temp workers and there are several reasons for it. Some companies do it so they don't have to pay benefits, but others do it because it is a way to test them out before they have to make a real commitment to them. I am sure you will do great and if there is a permanent job behind that temp, they will want to keep you. Prays are answered, aren't they?

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

George, that is wonderful!!! I was just checking into every thread to see if one of them had an update on the interview. Yay!!!

Diane

• mjandkids
    14 years ago

I'm so happy to hear about your new job George :-) God is good.

• p_mac
    14 years ago

George - Great news! I'm sure this will help make the holday a bit brighter than it seemed a few weeks ago! Congrats!

Maybe the employment fairy is going to start in northeastern Oklahoma and make its' way south & west?

• p_mac
    14 years ago

Dorothy - got the book in the mail yesterday! Sorry I didn't log in last nite to let you know. I got busy with Christmas decorating and my computer got ignored. LOL

Thanks so much! I'm done with my Christmas shopping!

Paula

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County