SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Talk About Running?

John Liu
11 years ago

I am hoping to start a general conversation on the topic of running, or more specifically beginning to run. The pros and cons, risks and benefits of this activity; how to get started and what to expect; running form, do's and don'ts, helpful tips; shoes and gear; if you run, why; if you stopped, why; and anything else related to running and runners.

Introduction and ramble - I ran JV XC in high school. We lived in El Segundo, which was then a tidy middle-class and enclave in Greater Los Angeles, surrounded by what we sheltered kids thought were roughish towns - Inglewood, Lawndale, Hawthorne. Our cross-country should have been called "street racing". The races started and ended on a school field, but most of the running was on sidewalks through the town hosting the meet. The story was that if you were the last runner in a race in a tough town, the local kids would pull you off the course! and beat you up in the bushes! Maybe this was just what the varsity enjoyed telling us younger kids, but it worked. We ran our guts out, sides burning and legs cramping, no clue about pacing or tactics, just a bunch of young kids running as hard as they could for two miles in the smoggy L.A. heat and then collapsing, puking, and - in my case, one afternoon, making what I thought was my deathbed vow that if I could just get through the season, I would never run again. And I never did. The next semester I switched to tennis, and for the next thirty-five odd years, I ran not one solitary step.

Fast forward to a month ago, I realized that I was about to turn fifty, that bike commuting wasn't keeping my weight down, and so I started looking for something else to do.

It so happened that I had recently read an article about early humans. Weaker and slower than all the other predators, without claws or sharp teeth, not yet equipped with fire or edged weapons, our ancestors survived in Africa because they were superior to all other animals at one specific thing. Humans can run long distances in high temperatures, better than any predator or prey animal on earth. We sweat from our entire bodies, thus dissipating body heat far better than big cats, wild dogs, wildebeest, antelope, all of which can only exhaust heat by panting. We stand upright, thus exposing the least surface to the overhead sun. The part of our bodies that does take the sun - our heads - is well insulated with thick hair. And our long Achllles tendons, large gluteus muscles (butts), and high proportion of slow twitch muscles are developed for long distance running. Our chimp and ape relatives lack these, and can't run for miles and miles. So, before we had fire and arrows, spears and snares, we relentlessly ran our prey to death. A band of early humans lope toward an antelope, which speeds away at 30 mph. Minutes or hours later, the humans catch up, the antelope takes off. Again and again, the antelope has to sprint from its remorseless pursuers. It takes hours or days, but in the end the antelope sinks exhausted as the humans approach and club it to death.

Pretty inspiring, eh? I thought so, anyway, But also pretty humbling. I was a complete stranger to the the one physical feat at which our species is really good. This, I decided, was being untrue to my deepest roots. I had to become a runner again. After all, I'm pretty fit - I thought. And I used to race. How hard can running a few miles be?

Pretty freaking hard, as it turns out.

I bought some mail-order shoes - selected simply because they reminded me of my high school racing shoes - and ran a halting mile around the neighborhood. Wow. I literally did not know how to run. I lurched, pounded, swayed, stumbled. My arms flapped around. Sometimes I landed on my heel, other times on my toes. How do you do this? Worse yet, all those powerful running muscles and ligaments that distinguish us from, say, baboons, appeared to be totally absent. All my daily cycling had been for nothing. Where running was concerned, I was like a spasmodic couch potato.

Since then, I have continued trying to run. On business trips, I go to the hotel fitness center and thump on the treadmill. Sometimes I actually go outside and get lost in unfamiliar cities. At home, I've been trying, on Fridays, to take the bus to work and run home. I bought some control-top running shorts, a heart rate chest strap. Installed a GPS running tracker app on my iPhone. I've been doing this for a month now. The farthest I have run on a treadmill is 2.0 miles. The farthest I have run on the street is 2.8 miles, stopping (gratefully) at every traffic signal, at a 8 minute pace (not counting stops - about 10 minute pace including red lights). But I still feel jerky and unsmooth. I have to keep reminding myself what to do on each stride, while not really knowing what is good running form. And it still hurts. My calves and thighs hurt, my back aches, I'm stiff and sore the next day.

Yet, I am sort of liking this lurching rediscovery of my inner runner. So I'm interested in learning more, from the CF'ers who themselves run, or ran. Is this how it is supposed to be? Should a 50 y/o guy even be trying to start running? Is there a magic secret you can tell me, that will suddenly bring back the speedy though puke-prone runner of over three decades ago?

Comments (29)