SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

multiple head shower---problems w/hot water

loves2read
15 years ago

We bought a house that was built about 4-5 yrs ago and moved in in December...the master shower is walk-in with tall ceiling(yes I know problems with that design) but shower heads are at the back of the shower opening (it is like an L turned 180 degrees. so the area you stand is away from the entry/drafts more than most)---the controls are all at the front--so you turn it on and walk to the back...about 2-3 ft from opening

3 shower heads--one rain head from the 10 ft ceiling and two wall-mounted ones separated by a corner (not opposite walls)

two valve/controllers--each one has separate water supply because they don't have to be on at the same time

the rainhead shower and the back wall head work off the same controller-valve assembly with a lever to switch from one to the other and a pull-out rotating volume/temp valve

posting what looks like the valve control/shower head--

the other wall-mounted head has a rotating handle controller

the house was vacant for about 6-7 weeks while we had painting and some other work done...

found that one of the mixing or balance valves was frozen with sediment when we moved in and tried to take a shower so only one shower head got hot (warm) water..the guy who did the home inspection swears that all shower heads were working and had good water temps when he did the inspection--but I also has to show him how to turn on the combo heads to get water from all three at the same time...so I am not sure exactly how HOT the water was--

plumber came out and pulled the bad valve out..

I called Moen and paid 75 for the part and shipping since that was less than Moen would charge the plumber (he said)--part was on back-order--not availible until after Jan 1---when it finally got here (another long story) and plumber came to do the install--there is still not really HOT water in that master shower...

this has cost us almost 400 already with the part and having the plumber do some other things like change the flapper in the master toilet and get the handle to move easier this last trip

we were told that there is valve in shower's controllers that "balances" the water temp so that you can't accidentally scald yourself by turning it on too hot...ok I can see the need for that...

BUT the other downstairs bathroom has basically the same lever controller as the single-head in master and it gets hotter water than the master...it is also a walk-in shower and really more open to drafts/loss of heat than the master--but water was hotter when I took shower there today to compare...not so hot that I had to lessen the volumn--but definitely hotter than coming out the master's heads...

the kitchen sink that has a single-controller faucet that swivels L-R gets hotter water than the master shower heads...all the bathroom faucets that have spread handles get HOT water...I understand why that is...

I know that a walk-in shower leaves you open to drafts and you can't build up the steamy sensation like in showers with doors...but the water out of those master shower heads is just not that hot...

I am not talking about running out of hot water after 5 or 10 min either--I rarely take a shower that lasts 5 minutes anyway

this house has two 50 gal NG water heaters and recirculating system so hot water is just a few seconds from the spout at any location. The original owners had more family members but we have just two adults taking showers at different times of the day/night and rarely using hot water at two locations--like dishwasher and shower or washer and shower--at same time. This is not about draining hot water...

I called the plumbing company back today because the plumber told me specifically that the two fixed shower heads would get HOT water--and they just don't...

so what is the deal--is this a problem I just have to adjust to (and it really annoys me because I do like hot showers but I don't take long ones) or is there something with the plumbing parts than can be adjusted to allow hotter water through the shower heads???

turning up the water heater thermostats won't do any good if the master valves automatically compensate for hotter temp at the valve itself...it would just restrict hotter water and allow more cold...at least IMO...

so any info/ideas???

Here is a link that might be useful: dual controller

Comments (3)