SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

Slide bar in shower/tub combo

EvaElizabeth
5 years ago
I want to install a slide bar for the handheld shower in my kids’ tub/shower combo to help my special needs son to be more independent. I came across the Moen Magnetix when I was looking at slide bars and decided it was cheap enough to try it out (even though it’s not the greatest look). Our old house had a slide bar but it was hard for him to get the handle in the bracket and he often left it dangling or called for help. Even though it’s much easier to replace, the magnetix is too high for him to reach because it attaches to the shower arm. So I have 3 related questions!

1. Is it possible to install a slide bar in this type of shower at all (it’s a Sterling system and I doubt it has “aging in place” backer boards, but I could be wrong)? Just based on pictures it seems like it would have to be installed so that one end is in the drywall and the other end is in the shower wall, and the profile of the shower wall could be a problem in getting the bar straight. Can the bar be attached to the shower or does it have to go through it into the wall?

2. Is there a way to modify a slide bar to use the necessary Moen clip, keeping in mind that the Moen water line feeds from the magnetic clip and is normally connected directly to the shower arm. I read Delta’s slide bar clip can be modified to work with a different brand of handheld but I would still have to find a way to connect the Moen clip. I’m not opposed to a different handheld but it has to be easy to insert for someone with poor dexterity.

3. Is it crazy to attach a handheld to a jointed shower arm like this? He’s not wheelchair bound so it doesn’t have to be super low, but he’s very small for his age and he can’t stand on his toes. I’m pretty sure he could reach a 15” shower arm.

Thank you!

Comments (2)