SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Smoked chicken thigh help

rob333 (zone 7b)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have tried a few times to smoke and gotten some hit/miss results. My son is going off to university and I'm "doing it up big" all month on home cooked foods, plus whatever he chooses. He's chosen grilled steaks this weekend. Easy enough. The 18th, we'll have smoked chicken thighs. I'm thinking of this recipe. I want to get it right since it's his last weekend at home. Is it right? Would you change anything? I really want to get it right since A) it's been what we've tried to do, and B) his last big meal before being stuck with cafeteria food for months. 'sides, I want him to have something for him to miss, and want to come home (I'm kidding! He'll come home. To pet the cats and do his laundry). Thanks!

Spicy Smoked Chicken Thighs

Author: Jenna

Ingredients

• 6 chicken thighs with the skin on
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons cayenne (see notes)
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoon black pepper

Instructions

1. Light your smoker and allow it to come up to a temperature of 200-220 degrees.
  2. Mix all dry rub seasoning ingredients thoroughly.
  3. Rub olive oil to fully coat the chicken thighs.
  4. Sprinkle the mixed seasonings all over the chicken thighs to ensure they are fully coated with rub.
  5. Lay your chicken thighs on the smoker rack and add smoker wood chips at the same time you add the meat. Apple, pecan, or cherry wood is ideal for this recipe.
  6. It is recommended to ensure there is enough wood every hour. Smoke your chicken thighs for 2 hours and rotate them to ensure they cook evenly.
  7. Total cooking time is 3 to 4 hours total depending on a variety of factors such as size of the thighs, temperature of the grill and outside, how windy it is, and how often you open the smoker lid which will let the heat out. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Notes

Recipe adapted from http://www.smokegrillbbq.com/

If you think 2 tablespoons of cayenne is a lot reduce the amount to 2 teaspoons.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio