SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Suggestions - what to can for cancer patient

Kathy F
5 years ago

My brother lives in RI and I live in CA. He's going into the hospital in Boston for intense chemo followed by a bone marrow transplant. He'll be in the hospital for 4-5 weeks and the thing he is dreading the most is the hospital food. He's been in a couple of times for just chemo, and often just wasn't able to eat anything because of the taste (really bland) and/or the texture (not sure here, but I think tough and/or dry is at least part of the issue). There's a refrigerator in his room, a freezer and a microwave available via the floor staff. I want to can and ship to him good, hearty, tasty food that the nurses can heat for him and that he might be able to enjoy or at least eat.

Here's what I have so far:

• Katie's Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
  • Beef in Wine Sauce (from Ball Complete)
  • Chicken Soup (from Ball Complete. Thinking he will be able to add rice from hospital menu)
  • Hearty Chicken Stew (from All New Ball)
  • Chicken Curry (from All New Ball)

Anyone who is smart food safety-wise have any input on the safety of the last 2? More than anyone, I can't risk giving him something unsafe! I've included ingredient lists/methods below and really appreciate any input on safety.

I'm also thinking about Thai Coconut-Squash Soup, also from All New Ball, but again, want to get input as to its safety. It's also on the Ball "Fresh Preserving website here: Thai Coconut-Squash Soup

What other suggestions do you have for a pretty much ready to reheat and eat meal?

TIA

Kathy

CHICKEN CURRY (makes 4 pts)

2 lbs boneless chicken cut into 2-inch chunks

1 c finely chopped onlion

1 c finely chopped tomatoes

1 c peeled and diced potatoes

1/2 c raisins (I omitted these)

2 tsp salt

4 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro

1 tsp curry powder

1 tsp garam masala

1/4 of all the above goes into a jar, then fill to 1" headspace with hot broth.

Process in pressure canner for 1 hr 15 mins

HEARTY CHICKEN STEW (makes ~ 6 pts)

3TBSP butter

1.5 c diced onion

1/2 c diced fresh mushrooms (I omitted)

1.5 c diced carrots

1 c diced Yukon Gold potatoes

1/2 c diced celery

5 c chicken stock

1 c white wine

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1 bay leaf

3 c 1" diced raw chicken

1/2 c thawed frozen baby peas

1 TBSP bottled lemon juice

1. Saute onion and mushrooms (omitted) in butter for 3 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, celery and saute 2 minutes. Add stock, wine, seasonings. Bring to boil and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Stir in chicken peas, lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.
  3. Fill jars to 1" headspace
  4. Process in pressure canner for 1hr 15 mins.

Comments (7)