SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

How to get a heavy older TV down the stairs and out of the house?

Alisande
5 years ago

I have a 85-lb. Sony flat-screen (old style, not flat panel) Trinitron CRT TV (c. 2003) that I'd like to dispose of. The weight is unevenly distributed, making it so awkward to carry. It's upstairs, and I can't imagine how I'm going to get it down my old staircase. I thought of offering to pay one of the local farm boys, but I'd hate for them to get injured.

I've had zero experience moving around heavy objects, but maybe the KT has some ideas. Thanks!

Comments (74)

• jemdandy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A bizarre solution:

I do not recommend this if you are not familiar the procedure or there are hazards present. THIS IS A "JOKE" TYPE OF SOLUTION. It is very likely not practical due to the heavy (85 lb) set. It would be difficult to get it out the window without damaging the window sill.

Find a small table that's about the height of the window sill. Place the table next to a window and put the TV on it. Tape across the TV screen with heavy tape; Duct tape should work. Cover most of the screen area. On the ground below, spread a heavy duty tarp. Raise the window and push the TV out. Make sure that you give it final shove that will send it away from the wall of the house. There should not be any projections on the house that the set might hit on its way down. It will crash on the tarp and the CRT will shatter. Hopefully, the tape will retain most of the pieces. Wrap it up in the trap and dispose.

Do not try this if there are objects next to the drop zone that might be damaged such as a casement window.

One practical solution is to use a mover's dolly. Cover the screen with pasteboard and tape in place. Strap the set to the dolly and use 2 strong persons to take it down the stairs. Place a person at each end of the dolly and lift. Use the dolly as a carrier frame with grab handles while going down the stairs. Once down, the dolly can be used in the conventional way.

This can be taken down stairs by one person, however, there is a big danger that it will over power the mover and tumble down the stairs.

I have moved a large Sony CRT monitor up and then later down a stairway by myself. To do this, I put a protective cover over the screen and used small diameter rope to wrap around the set in two directions and formed handholds. I moved it one step at a time and stayed on the downside of the set.

Alisande thanked jemdandy
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    5 years ago

Please don't try to move this yourself. Work smarter, not harder. You'll find an acceptable solution. Safety first! I hired some professional movers to transport a grand piano to my home - it took them less than twenty minutes to bring it into the house from their truck and set it up. They were equipped with appropriate straps and dollies and whatever else that they use. It was perfectly orchestrated and a pleasure to watch, instead of the stressful nightmare I anticipated. There were just two men. I don't know what to suggest for moving this TV but maybe an appliance place could give you some direction. Let us know.

Alisande thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • Related Discussions

Getting Natural Light Into Dark, Older House

Q

Comments (24)
    Things I have done to improve natural light in my home: 1. front door now is mostly glass 2. removed full height pantry that was in the kitchen/entrance - there is a small load bearing wall there that will be replaced by columns (attached to kitchen island) 3. painted all walls off white 4. chose light coloured finishes in general 5. removed upper cabinets from around kitchen window 6. ensure that window coverings for privacy allow lots of light in Things I am considering doing 1. adding ODL tubular skylights to light windowless areas (from Home Depot) 2. replacing some interior doors that are usually closed with windowed ones to bring natural light into windowless hallway (doors can have curtains or blinds if necessary) 3. adding windows to bathrooms
    ...See More

Considering butcher block counter on island, how heavy is heavy?

Q

Comments (5)
    It may be lighter than stone per unit of volume, but you will need to use a lot more volume if end-grain, and that factor will make it begin to approach stone. An end-grain counter top should be 3.5" thick to have structural integrity, while stone at 3 CM thick may weigh 25 lbs per sq ft, 3.5" BB maple will weigh 16 lbs. Casey
    ...See More

Help needed in getting DMIL older home on the market for sale.

Q

Comments (29)
    Jhug, there has been no cash so far, and we have been through just about everything; dang. Palimsest, I got out voted, so the carpets stay, but the corner of the 2 bedrooms are loose to show the floors. Good point about keeping the carpet for floor cover while painting. The floor that I could see looks pretty nice. Got the outside of the house washed, the little garden space remulched, and the 3 awnings washed down. Termite man has treated the house. DH and his sister are still working on the junk in the basement. The area will need deep cleaning once thats out. Main floor is nearly finished. Floors need cleaned. Stove needs deep cleaned under the burners, and in the oven. A couple of hinge repairs on cabinets. I have been through the cupboards with Pinesol. I don't know if it is going to help. Most of the drawers are almost new looking, so have always been covered. The uppers are painted inside, but someone glued down a thick paper liner! It was troweled in. It is curling at the edges so I thought I'd pull it out, thats when I found the glue or mastic. I'm going to buy some liner for the uppers to cover the mess up. MIL had sheet vinyl covering the paper. I didn't know gluing down paper liner was a thing. Its thick, like a heavy card stock.
    ...See More

Tankless water heat for an older home with older electric

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks Jake and Kevin for your input. Yes, my main motivating factor is economic, but there is also a space issue. The current 50 gallon tank is in a closet under the stairs and blocks the only entrance to the crawl space (I live in a split-level ranch circa 1965). It would be nice to be able to continue to get to the crawl space as I fear a new tank which may be larger in diameter, will completely block the entry, whereas the tankless would open up much more space for being able to fix the "dampness" issue and improving the under house insulation (which is considerably lacking at the moment). I've looked at the hybrid tanks, but at over $1000 each I can't afford them AND I think they are too tall to fit under the stairs. As for an electrician, I have a friend who is a licensed electrician in VA and willing to help me out with installing and upgrading, at the moment I don't think I have 200A service inside the house, but I know I can upgrade to that fairly easily with a new box (which I need anyway). Another part of the issue is that I seem to have a large amount of lime scale build-up in the tank and likely in the lines. The flow rate of the hot water in my second bath is barely a trickle and it is only slightly better in my primary shower. What's the best way to control lime scale build-up? Because regardless of which direction I go with the water heater, it's obvious that lime scale is a problem and will continue to be an issue for either kind of tank and the water lines that flow off it. (why does lime scale not build up in the cold water lines?) Anyway, thanks again for your input, it is definitely something to consider.
    ...See More
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Skibby, my late husband was very safety conscious, and it rubbed off on the rest of us. "Work smarter, not harder" is something I've heard my son say. :-)

Jemdandy, I mentioned a handtruck, but I think what we have is a dolly. Maybe they're the same thing? But in any case, that sounds like a good approach.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Please don't throw it out the window! That would leave you with dangerous mess to clean up -- there is a reason that recycling places charge to take these TVs. You can hire 2 men from a moving company, or call someplace like 1-800-got-junk, or yes, hire the neighbor men. Elmer is correct, 85 pounds is not a very heavy load for 2 men, if they are in shape and especially if they have the right equipment. Lifting straps and /or a dolly or hand truck will make it easy.

One method would be to have it strapped to a wheeled device, with a strap then attached to the device for the upper person to use to control rate of descent, while the lower person guides the unit down.

Around here even older CRT tvs, if they are in working order and have their remotes, will be quickly claimed off craigslist.

Alisande thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • marylmi
    5 years ago

I think for a couple of guys it would not be a big deal. They aren't moving a refrig or freezer down the stairs, it is an 85 pound TV. It seems like overthinking with a hand truck, etc. But whatever would work for them I guess. :).

Alisande thanked marylmi
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Any two relatively fit people can move an 85 pound TV down the stairs. I agree with marylmi regarding the overthinking. No dolly or wheeled anything for stairs. If you must, and it is really not necessary IMO, use moving straps.

Alisande thanked wildchild2x2
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

A few years back I had a large, heavy tv to get rid of. The local Goodwill took it, only because it had the ports to plug in video games and people wanted them for that reason only.

Alisande thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I envision two people carrying this TV down the stairs, they are both holding it, sharing the weight. I'm thinking in order for this to go smoothly, they'd have to be side by side. I don't see this happening on my narrow, walled on both sides, 1850 staircase. I'll look into the dolly situation mañana.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Wheels would be far more dangerous than using moving straps or even just a blanket wrap to get the thing down the stairs. The fact that the staircase is enclosed adds an element of safety for the person going backwards. I would not fear for the safety of a generally fit person without balance issues or disabilities. But if you use moving straps or a proper blanket wrap they both descend in line facing forward single file.

Pairs of delivery guys move huge appliances up and down stairs. Moving straps. I am saying it again. Moving straps. Check into moving straps although they are overkill for an 85 pound TV.

But this is a TV that weighs only 85 pounds. DS and a friend moved an entire 250+ lbs. 5 by 8 foot shed that had come off it's base. Each grabbed an opposing corner. Give younger, fit people more credit.

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

Mover's Dolly

https://www.walmart.com/ip/800-lb-Steel-Appliance-Dolly/15692406

Note a pair of oblong contraptions at the bottom immediately above the wheels. These are a skidding devices. It is a continuous web belt running over sheaves. These permit one to 'skid' over the edge of a curb or steps without scraping. The addition of these 'skidders' is the main difference between an ordinary dolly and a mover's dolly.

This one is reasonably priced, or you can rent one from trailer rentals or some hardware/equipment stores.

Alisande thanked jemdandy
    5 years ago

The only real difficulty that I see is having good hand holds, and an awkwardly shaped TV can be difficult in that respect; which is why I suggested the lifting straps or dolly. It is true that a blanket can work just fine. So could rope tied securely around the TV (in two directions, so it won't slip), Yes on one person in back and one in front not on the sides.

My DD and I have (on separate occasions) lifted and moved a treadmill into and out of her 2nd floor apartment, as well as a larger elliptical machine, and both into and out of trucks. Both I think quite a bit heavier than this TV. Neither of us are in the habit of lifting more than 12 pound weights for exercise. So weight really isn't the issue IMO.

Alisande thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • FlamingO in AR
    5 years ago

I would call around and see if anybody even wants this big TV. I know a lot of our local thrift shops won’t take the old-fashioned kind of TVs now. If they don’t want it, I would disassemble it and break it down into smaller pieces.

Alisande thanked FlamingO in AR
  • two25acres
    5 years ago

I had the same situation. A 36 inch flat screen, old style tv upstairs in the bedroom. Hubby and I both tried to take it down the stairs but I just couldn't handle it, not to mention what we would do once it got to the bottom and how to get it taken away. Hubby is ok just leaving it in the bedroom, it's been there a year. Me, I got frustrated with the dog gone thing and figured I would take care of it myself. It has taken a while, I am dismantling the whole thing bit by bit. I'm coming to the end soon. Will tape up the screen and should be able to get that out with hubby.

I will be a very happy camper once it is gone.

Alisande thanked two25acres
  • josephene_gw
    5 years ago

Wrap it with cardboard, tape it generously with duck tape, make handles with duck tape. Make sure ‘handles’ are tough enough to hold weight. Then line stairs with boards or tough cardboards, depending on wood or carpeted stairs, do not want to ruin steps. Turn tv on side, holding handles slide tv down stairs. Use ropes if necessary to keep tv under control.

good luck.

Alisande thanked josephene_gw
  • phoggie
    5 years ago

Drag to top of steps...give it a shove...pick up pieces! Just kidding....but do be careful.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Our Got Junk franchises will only pick up stuff if it's all in the garage They won't take anything out of the basement, upstairs, etc.

Alisande thanked Jasdip
  • wanda_va
    5 years ago

I just dealt with this same situation--my 32" Sony weighed a ton. I checked our local facebook and found a guy who hauls away junk. It was well worth the money to not risk injury to myself or a friend.

Alisande thanked wanda_va
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

My ex and I had that issue a few years ago with a huge TV. We took it apart and carried the pieces out to the car.

Alisande thanked graywings123
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chess-yeah that's me, I guess you didn't read all my posts in this thread. I don't blame you; I often don't read entire threads myself. But the short version is I'm not able to do as you describe by myself. I don't think my very elderly baluster is up to the task either. BTW, I found your opening, "If you don't have any friends . . ." rather odd.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Alisande, I definitely DID read the thread. My point was that getting a tv set to the ground is usually less effort than many folks think it is. You can even use graduated heights of tables/surfaces to get there. And by "friends" I meant "able-bodied friends that could help". My apologies if you somehow were offended by my suggestions.

I have deleted my post.

Alisande thanked Chessie
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There was no need to delete your post, Chess. I wasn't offended; just curious. And I assumed if you'd read the thread you would have seen this:

But I'm still under post-surgical orders not to pull, push, or lift anything over 8 lbs.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. It certainly isn't a serious issue, just something I'd like to see get done one way or another. And I'm sure, one way or another, I will.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Alisande, I did miss that statement, heck I read through the entire thread again and still missed it. I would definitely not have made the suggestion otherwise. Hope you have a good recovery.

Alisande thanked Chessie
  • vicsgirl
    5 years ago

Perhaps you can get it to the stairs, then gently tip it down one stair at a time? Use the weight of the TV to pivot it slowly and let it drop one step at a time. Just my suggestion of what I would do. I'm a 65 yearold female with bad knees and not a lot of upper body strength.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thought I'd post an update, as the TV left my house today. I guess my son's back is all better (heavens, I hope so) because this afternoon he went upstairs and came back down carrying the TV. He deposited it in his pickup. Best Buy will take it off our hands for $25. I'm going to call the recycling center from a neighboring county to see if we can do better than that, but I doubt it. I'm just relieved to have it out of the house!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

I just came upon this post and was on the edge of my seat to learn how things turned out!! Great ending and you even get some money out of it instead of having to pay!! Well done! I bet you feel great relief that this is all over!

Alisande thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Here the recycling fee for tvs is $0.35 a pound if they will take them. Most older tvs would cost more than the $25.00. Considering the time etc. if the Best Buy is closer just have your son take it there.

Alisande thanked maifleur01
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, no, Murraysmom--sorry, but I wasn't clear. I have to pay Best Buy the $25. But yes, I am relieved!

Maifleur, yes the 80+ lb. TV would cost a little more to go to recycling. The center is also a little more of a nuisance to get to than Best Buy. If I'd done this a few years ago, the Salvation Army would have taken it, but they stopped doing that because they couldn't sell them.

• PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

Thx for update. I think I'd have tried taking it apart; dissecting it like in a cadaver lab. :-)

Alisande thanked MDLN
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

"I have to pay Best Buy the $25."

Oh heck no - put it on Craigs List - guarantee someone will come take it off your hands.

Alisande thanked Chessie
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chess, I'd be inclined to do that too. But when I use Craigslist I always meet the people in a public place, never have them come here. Now that my son has custody of the TV, I know he won't want to mess around with meeting people, nor will he want them here. So I think it's out of my hands. Literally. :-)

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Then let him pay Best Buy to get rid of it. Does he work? The person could meet him at his workplace. I have done that with just about everything I have sold on CL.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I doubt Craigslist would turn up many takers. Even for free, old, fat (not flat screen), heavy TV's are not what folks want.......not when you can buy a brand new, HD, 39" flat screen for right around $100!!

• Chessie
    5 years ago

You would be surprised what people will take for free.

• phoggie
    5 years ago

Advertisement...Free...you haul.

But be sure you have a big man with you for safety when they pick it up!...can not be too safe.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Not here......certainly not for any "old generation" electronics!

5 years ago

Oh yes, I have given away old CRT TVs multiple times (mine and my parents). All people ask is that they work and are free. They want them for kids use, a 2nd TV, and more often than you'd think for their primary TV because theirs has broken and they don't have $$ to repair or replace. They've always been claimed off Craigslist within hours.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Yep. If it works, it doesn't matter that is is "old generation electronics"!! There are TONS of folks out there that don't care about that - they don't have the money for something new. Not even $100.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Based on the large tv that set next to a driveway for two weeks with a sign on it that it worked and was free putting a tv out here would be a waste of time. Take pity on your son's back muscles. It is already in his pickup so just let it be.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

There are many folks who do little else than watch television to pass their evenings.

Even for those of the most modest means, I think many would rather drive an unreliable clunker to be able to save money to spend on a new or newish TV of reasonable size that offers better resolution than older models. I don't think low resolution is acceptable to people anymore, not even for those who can ill afford to be picky.

I've had to go down to the local cable office a few times and line of mostly people of apparently very modest means who were there to pay their bills (in cash) was surprising to me. You don't pay a hefty monthly cable bill to supply a signal to an old TV with a less than crystal clear picture.

Alisande thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Elmer, I am confused by your post. ( Myself, I pay bills online so I wouldn't know anything about going to the cable company office. ) Are you saying that poor people who can ill-afford it still have better resolution televisions because they do little else than watch TV to pass their evenings? The people you saw on line were of modest means? How do you know that? Their bills were hefty? How do you know that? Were you standing in line also with a clear view of other's transactions?

• arkansas girl
    5 years ago

Well, we have and use a GINORMOUS television that is over ten years old that still works like the day we bought it. Why would we throw out a very expensive TV (when we bought it) if it still works like new. We mostly only watch dvds and bluerays and do not mess with cable and have not for many years.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Arkansas Girl, I guess you're saying what I did was wasteful? As someone who dislikes waste, I can't really disagree with you. In fact, since I haven't watched TV in my bedroom for many years, replacing the old set was out of character for me all around. But when I had surgery late last year, and spent a few days in bed, I was thinking it would be nice to have a usable TV in the room. The old one worked, but I hadn't used it in so long it wasn't hooked up to anything.

I guess the answer to your "why would we throw it out" question is that once I got used to watching the high-resolution picture on my living room TV, I was reluctant to go back to the old reception. Also, I liked the idea of having something lighter. With a nice wide screen. And a USB port for my Fire Stick.

BTW, we've never had cable, and get our channels from an outdoor antenna.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Almost all cable bills are ginormous. My basic bill is. Some people also bundle everything including phone, cable, internet and who knows what else. After the initial savings for the first year all that savings goes away leaving a large bill. While I am keeping my land line for now which has my internet with the cable and my cell my combined bill would be about $300. I have do not want to know exactly how much but that is an estimate. If I wanted to switch carriers every year those costs could be lowered. Here the cable office where you pay your bills or pickup things like controllers is all one room so everyone knows what other people are doing. While I pay my bills either on line or ACH there are people who do not trust the post office, bank, or simply like to pay things with cash. Several on here have mentioned that all their transactions are done with cash so they would be the ones with the large fistful of cash paying their bills.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Elizabeth, my comments were based on my experiences. Not too many years ago, I offered an old CRT large screen TV we'd decommissioned to the salvadoreño who does work in and around our house. He chuckled and said in half Spanish and half English that his extended family had pooled their money to buy a big screen TV at Costco for the men to watch futbol and for the evening shows for the women in the family.

My last visit to the cable store was to return a settop TV box (after I'd switched to DISH). The people in front of me in line were modestly dressed Spanish speaking women who paid their bills in cash, using mostly singles and also coin change. When people are spending extended time at the counter because of the need to count and recount cash, it's not hard to see what's going on. As you said, you and most others pay these bills with autopay or another online means. Those who are illiterate, or who don't have the credentials to get a bank account, pay bills in cash. And such people are typically hard working folks of very modest means. That was what I saw.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Thank you, OK, I see what you meant. I just found the Initial wording confusing.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I'm rarely accused being eloquent. It has happened a few times. I type comments quickly and while I do go back and review, what seems right to me isn't always clear to others. Sorry.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elmer, you are rarely accused of being eloquent? Are you sure about that? ;-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Hey, you've said you're a writer. I'll stand back and admire. I needed to write, proof, brainstorm and supervise business related documents and agreements in my career and I did that well but stylistically and vocabulary wise for other things, I'm deficient.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

I'm glad you were able to get rid of that old TV - and that your son was feeling up to the task. It's a shame there isn't anyplace in that area that would take them.

I'm lucky that all my local Goodwill donations centers still take electronics - working or not. I think in this area (near Philadelphia) they get enough of them that it's worth having them recycled.

Recently we tried to get rid of 3 old tv sets at our place in upstate PA - not too far from Alisande. We called the local Habitat for Humanity, Safe Homes and 2 churches and they sisn't want them. We called the TV repairman in town and he said he had to pay to get rid of them too. We had a community picnic and I asked all of our neighbors if they knew anyone or anyplace that wanted them and they all said they hold onto them until the township has their annual trash drop-off day.

We had just missed it in June so one of our neighbors gave us the name of a fellow who hauls trash and waste to the dump. We paid him to haul the TV's away.

Alisande thanked maire_cate
    5 years ago

maifleur, it is often true here also that a TV just set on the curb won't be taken -- because there isn't enough traffic of people who might be interested -- although a scrapper cruising the evening before trash pickup will likely cut off the power cord.

I actually picked up an LED LCD TV from just around the corner not long ago, though, set out for the trash. The remote needed a new battery, then re-paired with the TV, otherwise it was in perfect working order. I have been wondering if the failure of the remote to work is why is was set out, or if the family had gotten a newer, bigger TV and just didn't want to make the effort to donate it (all of the local thrift stores will take LCD TVs).