How to get a heavy older TV down the stairs and out of the house?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (74)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years agoAlisande thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
Related Discussions
Getting Natural Light Into Dark, Older House
Comments (24)Things I have done to improve natural light in my home: 1. front door now is mostly glass 2. removed full height pantry that was in the kitchen/entrance - there is a small load bearing wall there that will be replaced by columns (attached to kitchen island) 3. painted all walls off white 4. chose light coloured finishes in general 5. removed upper cabinets from around kitchen window 6. ensure that window coverings for privacy allow lots of light in Things I am considering doing 1. adding ODL tubular skylights to light windowless areas (from Home Depot) 2. replacing some interior doors that are usually closed with windowed ones to bring natural light into windowless hallway (doors can have curtains or blinds if necessary) 3. adding windows to bathrooms...See MoreHow on earth did I get a baby owl on top of my TV?
Comments (53)Oh I'm so glad he's in safe hands now (now that yours aren't but....) and that he'll be looked after. I came upstairs one day to find the cats pacing in the kitchen, back and forth and back and forth, and found two blue jays in there. One was on top of the toaster and the other in behind the blinds. I have no idea how they got in the house but I did take pictures knowing that no one would believe me otherwise. I thought that I would help the one behind the blinds by raising them so he could get out. But when I raised the blinds I got his tail feathers caught and then he was hanging upside down. I eventually got him out and then opened the sliding glass doors. They must have sensed the airflow as they both went flying out....See MoreWhole house paint colors for older home with dark trim...
Comments (4)I did! I went with the Needlepoint Navy, Jade Dragon, and Chelsea Gray I mentioned in the original post. They worked exactly as I hoped and I've been living with them for several years now and still don't hate them! I want to attach a photo but Houzz keeps throwing errors. If I can get one into a reply later I will....See MoreTankless water heat for an older home with older electric
Comments (12)Thanks Jake and Kevin for your input. Yes, my main motivating factor is economic, but there is also a space issue. The current 50 gallon tank is in a closet under the stairs and blocks the only entrance to the crawl space (I live in a split-level ranch circa 1965). It would be nice to be able to continue to get to the crawl space as I fear a new tank which may be larger in diameter, will completely block the entry, whereas the tankless would open up much more space for being able to fix the "dampness" issue and improving the under house insulation (which is considerably lacking at the moment). I've looked at the hybrid tanks, but at over $1000 each I can't afford them AND I think they are too tall to fit under the stairs. As for an electrician, I have a friend who is a licensed electrician in VA and willing to help me out with installing and upgrading, at the moment I don't think I have 200A service inside the house, but I know I can upgrade to that fairly easily with a new box (which I need anyway). Another part of the issue is that I seem to have a large amount of lime scale build-up in the tank and likely in the lines. The flow rate of the hot water in my second bath is barely a trickle and it is only slightly better in my primary shower. What's the best way to control lime scale build-up? Because regardless of which direction I go with the water heater, it's obvious that lime scale is a problem and will continue to be an issue for either kind of tank and the water lines that flow off it. (why does lime scale not build up in the cold water lines?) Anyway, thanks again for your input, it is definitely something to consider....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years agoAlisande thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: Travel Back to the 1960s in a Most Unusual Round House
An Oakland, California, couple’s midcentury circular home provides a stunning time capsule for all-out vintage modern style
Full Story
MOST POPULAR5 Ways to Pare Down Your Stuff — Before It Gets in the Door
Want to free up some room around the house? Rethink gift giving, give yourself a shopping mantra and just say, ‘No, thank you’ to freebies
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: A ’60s Ranch House Grows Up and Out
A family’s ranch house gets an addition, high ceilings and new indoor-outdoor living spaces
Full Story
STAIRWAYSHow to Get Your Stair Runners Right
Add peace and quiet, beauty (and safety) with a pretty carpet on the stairs
Full Story
HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: A Famed ‘Painted Lady’ Gets a Gorgeous Update
Join us as we walk with the homeowners through one of San Francisco's landmark Victorians, lovingly restored
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz TV: A Tiny-House Family’s Big Adventure
A California couple and their toddler son let go of stuff in favor of living lightly and flexibly in 327 square feet
Full Story
HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: Meet the Gamble House, a ‘Symphony in Wood’
Masterful use of wood helps make this Pasadena home, now open to visitors, a model of California bungalow style
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: See What It’s Like to Live in a Glass House
Tour a couple’s midcentury modern Illinois home, where floor-to-ceiling views of nature are all around
Full Story
ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: Run-Down Victorian Gets a Manhattan-Style Makeover
A pre-earthquake Victorian in San Francisco is revitalized with a mix of modern and classic design and a healthy dose of NYC glam
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESAdding On: 10 Ways to Expand Your House Out and Up
A new addition can connect you to the yard, raise the roof, bring in light or make a statement. Which style is for you?
Full Story
dees_1