SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katybee001

Considering butcher block counter on island, how heavy is heavy?

14 years ago

Massive renovation underway and due to a mistake it looks like we will have less space in our kitchen than we planned for. So we needed to re-think kitchen layout, and accordingly I am rethinking counter top materials as well.

Island (7ft x 3ft) will serve as the biggest prep area, housing a beverage fridge, drawer storage for dishes, pots/pans, and also seating area (will 4 stools fit?).

I am considering butcher block. Reading a few other posts I know there will be monthly maintenance and over time will get beat up, but I think it kind of looks cool when it is beat up on.

Here come the questions ...

1) I've spent an unhealthy amount of time this week trying to find pictures of butcher block counters where people also did seating underneath. Came up completely blank. Any help out there on GW?

2) Architect's cryptic email said "Butcher block can get really heavy if it is thick & solid, may be a way to get the look without the weight?"

3) Of the options long planks versus end-grain look, I prefer end-grain. Does that make a difference with weight/support?

Apologies for not including pictures, I should have some by Monday. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH