SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Help needed in getting DMIL older home on the market for sale.

enduring
5 years ago

My DMIL is in a retirement apartment now and her small 3 bedroom ranch will be put on the market ASAP. It was built in the late 40's or early 50's. We are not planning on any updates. Over the years she has kept up with upkeep, except the last 10 years it has gotten away from her. She's from the depression era, so any updates she made were with sparse. Windows and roof are fair to good.

1). The cabinets are original and they smell like that old stinky wood that cabinets can get. How do I get them to not smell. Especially the one under the sink. DH said he cleaned them, but they stink. There was quite a bit of cooking spillage on the side of the cabinets where the stove sits. I had DH work on that and its better.

2). The carpets in 3 rooms will be cleaned. Any tips on types of carpet cleaner companies?

3). Found TERMITES!!! So that needs to be treated. Don't know anything about that either. We're getting estimates.

4). We had some of the rooms painted, the kitchen, living room, and hall, but washed the walls of the bedrooms rooms only. So the rooms are not perfect. Is that a mistake? I have no say in that department, DMIL doesn't want to spend the money on painting all the rooms. The rooms where painted with SW paint 28 years ago in a semi gloss finish, so they did wash up just fine. No smokers in the house. The bathroom was painted 10 years ago and is fine.

5). The appliances are in worn shape and I wonder if it would be better to just take them out or leave them. I could ask the realtor who is making suggestions. I don't think the family has asked.

6). The 2 flower beds will be pulled, and mulch put down. Wonder if termites will find the mulch a nice place to find shelter after the treatment to the house. Other ideas for mulch, would be helpful. We have straw and could blanket the beds with that and use a netting and tack it down.

7). We are going to spray wash the house with a pressure washer and solution from the big box stores for that purpose. The siding is steel and has lost a lot of paint in areas. Not going to paint the outside, just get rid of the moss and lichen that has grown on the north walls.

Thanks for any thoughts or helpful hints you may have in minimally getting the house ready for sale.

Comments (29)