SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdw72697

Getting Natural Light Into Dark, Older House

kdw72697
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm a long-time reader/infrequent poster, and I am looking for any opinions on ways to get natural light into a house that has very little.

The longer version of the story: now that the holidays are here and the family is getting together, the topic of buying a relative's house has come up once again.

The pros: It's a nice house in a nice neighborhood and it is larger than ours in square footage. It's also built much more sturdily and recently than mine (1960s vs. my 1924 house).

The cons: There are several issues with layout and finishes, but the major sticking point for me is DARKNESS. I know that sounds silly in the grand scheme of real estate, but I don't think I could live in a house that has little natural light.

It was a 1960s development home, and my husband just happens to have a scan of the original builder's brochure including a floor plan, which I've linked to below.

There are NO main-floor, southern-facing windows because of the way the house is situated on its lot, and no way to add them because of the location of the garage.

The entry hall is dark and windowless, and the walls that create this hall are load-bearing and not easily removed.

The only wall that could easily accommodate new windows faces north (and a neighbor's pool!).

Solar tubes would be an option upstairs, but not on the main floor.

If I can get myself over the light hurdle, I can work on the other issues.

Any advice is welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: colonial floor plan

Comments (24)