SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llbarrows

HELP! I don’t know what to do with this alcove/office/catch-all space

llbarrows
5 years ago

I will putting my condo on the market before the end of the year. I bought before the real estate crash and the property’s value is still not quite up to what I paid for it 12 years ago. As a newly retired senior on a budget, I hope to squeeze every penny possible when I sell.

I’ve had adult children moving home and back out over the years, and this area has served their needs from time to time. Other than that, it’s been terribly wasted space. This space is an alcove off the hallway leading from living/dining/kitchen area to bedrooms. It’s now mostly a catch-all and I’m at a loss as to how to stage it for when it’s time to sell. It is 88” wide by 66” deep. The white desk on the left is 30”x65”. Its companion “L” is 15.5”x40” and on wheels, so it can slide 30” under the desk. The white file cabinet is also on wheels and can be relocated. On the right is a 24”x62” painted door serving as tabletop, resting on two file cabinets. The last photo looks down the hall from the alcove.

The small bedroom/den across from the alcove has a small Ethan Allen desk 18.5”x40” wide, with a hutch 10” deep x48” tall. This could be relocated to the alcove. I recently donated a large bookcase and most of my books, as I know I’ll need to downsize greatly. The remaining books could be boxed up and stored away if needed.

Other than the small bedroom/den being a light yellow, all rooms are painted Navajo White. I’ve thought the alcove might be better painted a color, possible with the tabletop and cabinets painted the same to help them “disappear.” Also, would it be better to get rid of all the shelves in the alcove? That’s the extent of my ideas.

Any and all ideas/suggestions/comments will be most gratefully appreciated.

Comments (15)