SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilhaines

Kentucky Bluegrass Questions - Central Indiana

Wil Haines
5 years ago

During the past couple of years, I have been trying to get a bluegrass lawn established. My lawn has a full lawn sprinkler system as well. Late last fall, I overseeded with bluegrass (after aerating) and hoped that the seed would germinate in the spring. To some extent, this happened, but not as well as I was hoping for. Because of the new seed, I did not use a preemergent this past spring and weeds were more noticeable as a result. Now, I have used Roundup (or equivalent) to kill all of the weeds and undesirable grasses, including some crabgrass. My plan is to dethatch in areas, start watering in about 7-10 days (as necessary), to soften the ground and then aerate prior to sowing seed. I'm hoping to get this done while the weather is warm enough to germinate bluegrass (3-4 weeks as I understand it). I've been told that a total bluegrass lawn may not be a smart idea, but I've also read that a bluegrass lawn is fine, once you get it established and overseed every few years. There is no lawn traffic to speak of. Without other recommendations, I plan to use Pennington's Argyle, Blue Bonnet, and Aries mix. I am also planning to overlay the new seed with a light coat of quality screened topsoil/compost, and water as necessary to keep the seed moist until germination.

Any opinions about how to go about this project? Thanks for your replies.

Comments (8)