SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diyguy898

What to do with Turf Type Tall Fescue (TTF) in my lawn?

Greg gman997
5 years ago

A few years of trying to revive my lawn with various grass seeds I've finally been successful in getting a green lawn back. However, now II have a new problem, what I thought was just spots of crabgrass is actually numerous clumps of turf type tall fecuse.

I traced this back to one of the grass seeds I've used, Pennington Smart Seed Sun and Shade, I wasn't as knowledgeable then and in this seed mix it's primarily tall fescue with kentucky blue. KBB, fine fescue, and rye grass is what I prefer in terms of look and 80% of the yard is that. The turf type tall fescue is standing out and it looks like a weed. I have lots of this all over my backyard in numerous spots, I would estimate about 20% of the yard is now turf type fescue.

There's so much of it in variable locations I don't think I want to go through the effort of killing it off and reseeding it as I doubt I'll get all of it. I'm almost wondering if I embrace it and just continue to overseed the lawn with tall fescue and eventually it becomes the dominant grass?

Anyone encounter this Dillema? Could you share ideas on how you solved it? And ugh, wish I knew more then, I would have stayed away from that Penningtons mix!

Thanks!

Comments (11)