SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkjjpc

Miele downdraft airflow issue

Joseph Catlett
5 years ago

We just installed a Miele 30" downdraft to go with our 30 Miele induction cooktop. The installation is in an island, and for a variety of reasons that was our only option. I understand that downdrafts cannot be as effective as hood vents, but the airflow from our Miele downdraft is very low.

The set up is that the 10" duct comes out the front of the downdraft into a 90 degree elbow into the crawl space. There it makes an another 90 degree elbow for a straight run of about 9 feet to the exterior vent. Our contractor installed a 700 CFM in line blower in the crawlspace near the exterior vent. He tested the airflow at the exterior vent and got about 300 cfm on low, 500 cfm on medium and about 700 cfm on high. He was using an airflow meter that attached to his smart phone. I'm not sure how accurate those are. While I could feel the airflow at the exterior vent, it did not seem like as much as 700 cfm, but I don't have a reference.

At the downdraft itself, the airflow is minimal even on high and the "boost" setting. On high there is barely enough air to pull in a strip of paper towel held close to the inlet. I boiled water in two pots, one on a front burner and one on the back burner. Little to no steam from the front burner went into the vent, a little of the steam from the back pot went into the vent.

I am having a hard time reconciling the cfm readings at the exterior vent, which seem very reasonable, with the lack of airflow inside. The contractor says all the connections are taped with no airleaks, but I have not been able to check that myself.

Any suggestions? We can install a higher cfm blower, but I want to make sure we are not missing something else that is causing the low airflow.

Comments (8)