SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_mcguire

Miele Combi-Steam oven, Coffee system, Speed Oven installed vertically

PiperMc
7 years ago

Hi- I wars fortunate enough to get an excellent deal on 3 Miele items (open box/never used) at my local appliance store. Score! Well, except for the part where I forgot about electrical and now have to have the electrician upgrade the panel and run additional power to the kitchen. Whoops.

Items are:

• H 6100 BM 24" Speed Oven
  • DGC 6600 XL Combi-Steam Oven
  • CVA 6401 Whole Bean Coffee System

I'm trying to figure out how to install them properly (or pay someone to do it). I have trust issues with installers. The last items we had installed (wall oven/built-in microwave - IKEA) don't appear to have any ventilation gaps at all. Not even between the shelves! In retrospect, that's concerning! Or maybe the older units didn't require it. Not sure. At any rate, I've become obsessive about things, no matter who does the install.

We've removed the old wall oven and the built-in microwave and I'm now staring at an empty appliance cabinet.

So, two questions:

Ventilation: We're going with solution 1, below, because we have shelves above the units that go to the ceiling. The picture is for the coffeemaker install, which has the most restrictive installation requirements. The other two units don't seem to be as concerned about airflow as much.

I've bought new shelves which have a metal strip with built-in air holes in the back to allow ventilation to travel behind the units. The units are only 22" deep at the most. The shelves are 24" deep and the ventilation takes up the last 3.5" inches of that, so I think we're good to go on that part.

Instructions specify: "The cabinet housing must not have a back panel fitted behind the installation niche."

What does that even mean? If I remove the back panel from the appliance cabinet, what does that solve? If I have proper ventilation between the shelves, wouldn't that do the trick? Otherwise, the airflow would pass against a bare wall as it travels up and over through the vent - which doesn't seem to me like a good solution at all. And, do I worry about the shelf above the vent?

What should the order be: They'll all be installed in the same cabinet, vertically. I was thinking, coffeemaker on top, Combi-Steam in the middle, and Speed oven below. Coffeemaker on top seems logical because the steam can ventilate directly out more easily. Plus, I'm short, but can reach what I need to for that. :-) Any reason that wouldn't work? Does the steam oven do anything I should be aware of when it vents? It would be just below the coffeemaker. The salesman didn't see an issue, but he doesn't own these and only works with what is installed in the store.

Anyone have any real-life experience with this?

Comments (8)