SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Considering Iceland

IdaClaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There are other fairly recent threads re travel to Reykjavik, but I'd like to know if anyone has been VERY recently, will be going soon, or has anything to contribute that hasn't already been said.

After much deliberation, we canceled our summer 2019 trip to Peru. There were a number of things about traveling to South America that took us a bit too far outside of our comfort zone, with uncertainty about altitude sickness being one of the biggies. Changing gears completely, we are now considering Iceland, basing ourselves in or near Reykjavik. We would spend two weeks there, and while I've read comments from some saying that their experience in the country was merely "meh" and they have no desire to go back, we are attracted to it because of the wide open spaces and unpopulated, naturally beautiful areas to explore. We love to hike, although we are not risk takers and temper our plans accordingly. We've scoped out a couple of Airbnb accommodations that we like, and we would prepare the majority of our own meals instead of spending $$$ dining out.

We feel we might be more at ease in Iceland than in Peru. It seems like less harried, and it's my understanding that everyone speaks English so we wouldn't have the language barrier that we may encounter in certain places in Peru. Thoughts on comfort level? Anything in particular you'd recommend for reading up on Iceland? I'm a longtime TripAdvisor user, so will definitely be perusing threads there.

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!