SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pease82

Restoring overgrazed clay-free volcanic soil

Karen Pease
6 years ago

Hi - I live in Iceland and own about 8 hectares. Like most pasture in Iceland it was long ago deforested and overgrazed, and erosion is a problem. I'd like to restore it and start locking carbon back up in it. I've taken samples to send in for nutrient and pH analysis, and that should help clear up how best to feed the portions that are grassy but low productivity (low grass density, little green, etc). The bigger question is what to do about the areas with little grass and moss on them, that are mostly gravel pans (varying mixtures of rock, gravel, and sand). Trying to work in "soil amendments" would be way too much of a task, particularly given that half of it is on slopes down into a canyon, the land is bisected by ravines and marshes, etc (aka, access is by foot).
I've started doing a very sparse fall application of a generic grass fertilizer (aka primarily nitrate), in the hopes that the little grass there will be able to start putting out better roots and be able to take up a bit more fertilizer every year as it slowly expands. Do you think that such a "go slow" approach is the best way to tackle it or should I be doing something else? I haven't been spreading seed because one, I only want native grasses, and two I don't think it'd take.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz