SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyromanic

Volcanic gravel/sand

9 years ago

Hello. This is my first post. (Thanks for having me!) I've been on this Central Oregon land for 30 years, and have never tried a vegitable garden 'till this year. Ripped the sod up inside a new deer fenced area in front yard, and mostly using containers this time. I turned the sod under, but it's NO WHERE NEAR enough organic matter to make much difference. We on the East side of Cascade range, and the soil here is very volcanic. Pumice gravel in my yard, and corse sand. No organic matter hardly, no silt, no clay. Very poor. HOWEVER, (and here is my question) my property lies within a few hundred yards of the Little Deschutes River, and not far from my house is the flood plain. Within the flood plain, are some even lower areas, that maybe a hundred years ago, were sloughs. Maybe longer, who knows, but the point is, on my property, close enough to get my pick up truck backed up to it, is hundreds if not thousands of cubic yards of silt. Feels like pudding when it's wet. (these areas never dry out, they are under willow thickets, shaded always, very high water table too) Very black slippery stuff. Definately silt. Also full of earthworms. I could fill my truck a few times and add it to my 30 x 30 vegitable garden. Then start adding compost or peat moss or horse manure, which is free around here.

Or should I skip the silt and just add compost or peat or manure?

Comments (15)