SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cougarllb

What do you do if your fabricator misplaces your remnants?

cougarllb
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We had to buy full slabs, though we only need 1.3. So I have 2/3 of a HUGE slab left, of gorgeous Calcutta Storm dolomite. My friend loved it as well and wanted to buy the larger remnant to use in his bathrooms. I was VERY clear about wanting *all* of the remnants back and questioned all fabricators on their stone management policies as well before selecting our fabricator, who assured me they don't sell or destroy the stone without permission. They were fantastic to work with throughout the process.

However once the project was done, they were not very responsive when I asked how much of my slab was left and when I could come show it to my friend, etc. I also asked the cost to cut some portions out I could turn into cheese trays, cake stands, and other gifts for this holiday season.

We also added a shower bench after we'd already done the original layout, so I told the fabricators to just pick a section that was small and wouldn't disrupt the main portion or the slab so my friend could use it. But when they came to install...the shower bench is clearly not from my slab. It looks like Super White, and not Calcutta Storm, with a more overall gray appearance and duller colors. I immediately questioned it but my husband said he remembered it in the slab so I let it go, but it bugged me so a few days later I pulled up the photos to compare and I knew I was right. Unfortunately the shower glass has already been measured and ordered so ti is what it is; now my bathroom isn't uniform like I wanted, and it bugs me but I"m trying to get used to it. But, to me, it's further evidence they misplaced my stone and thus had to use some other remnant.

I pestered the company until they got back to me, but today confirmed what I've suspected all along - they lost it. They claim that the fabricator throws out remnants if they are less than 24". But I sent pictures of my slab with templating on it and you can CLEARLY see a huge section left with no cuts. It is easily $2,500 worth of material if not more, and they claim it was too small and scrapped? So they are looking again at the fabricator, but are closed all next week for 4th of July, so I won't likely get more info until the 8th or 9th.

I'm extremely upset by this, and it is, at a minimum, $1,000 lost as that is what my friend agreed to pay for the large remnant to use in his bathroom. I asked them how they intend to compensate me for the $1,000, especially since I've already paid the bill so it's not like I can just short pay. They are "reviewing" and will get back me later.

Has this happened to anyone before? What did you do? Every time I do a Google search I just come up with "what to do with your remnants" and how to save money by using remnants, but not advice on what to do if you wanted them but they were sold/stolen/misplaced/tossed out, even after your specific instructions to retain them. Even those smaller pieces could have made quite lovely gifts and crafts, which I told them upfront I wanted to do! I don't need more than 12-18" pieces for trays, etc.

Look how much stone is left! Why wasn't my bench cut from this, and where is the remainder???

That whole center section was unused and is over 24" yet is mysteriously gone as well. For reference, that bottom one is 17" deep from front of tape back, and the top cutout is 28" from front of tape back.

Bench is clearly not from my slab.

Comments (25)