SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

What do you do in the mean time when you're decorating stuck?

piper101
16 years ago

Hello all, QUESTION: When you're at a mental block of what to do decorating wise, in the kitchen when the cabinets, counters and splash have been done for almost 2 yrs and you cannot find a fabric that points you in the right direction?

I cannot believe I've been in limbo this long but it's true and I'm sick of it. I won't bore you right now with pictures since I've done that before here and thought "well surely I'll come across a fabric that is the one and that will lead me to where I should go on this kitchen for paint colors etc." Guess what, I've looked high and low at all stores I can think of and through tons of designer fabric books, fabric websites and I'm no better off.

Do I just do something in the mean time so it's not half baked and when the right thing comes along, change it or what?

My cabinets are white, my granite is green (costa esmeralda) my splash is light green tile with white diamond tile accents (that is whwere I screwed myself up and took my "oh this can go in so many directions" right out the window).

I'm a garden, cottage, country french kind of gal. So since nothing fabric wise has helped me out, should I;

Go with a garden theme, cute like painting some trailing bumble bees buzzing here and there (with the loop de loop trailing/ lady bug, dragon fly) and stuff like that? I've got a border that has seed packets in many colors on a white ground with darker green border (you might remember me now).

I could just paint the kitchen a beigey color and wait with no window treatments like I have now,

Paint and stencil on some fleur de lis,

I could go with yellow/blue/green like 2/3 of my downstairs, I got a border there I could use with flowers,

or something else???,,I'm sure I've thought of other things but can't think of them right now.

I tried a lt green paint but that didn't work but it's still up there. I don't want white paint as the cabinets when put all together, turned out "whiter" than I thought. The floor will be wood or wood like laminate. My kitchen table/chairs are a light wood and I can make slip covers to hide the red w/roosters upholstery (consignment find) to what ever I choose, but I can't even find the curtain fabric, much less that since I don't want to purchase something until I nail the window treatment fabric.

I guess I'm tired of being satisfied with the rest of the downstairs and having to see this sore thumb of an imcomplete kitchen.

What do you do in the mean time? Thanks for your time.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz