SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Amazing Dracaena 'Song of India'

I've burned a few Dracaena leaves in my life by simply putting it too close to a window with some direct sun in CA. I opted to not have any here in NV, but I got this tiny little one some months ago--maybe 6" tall--and had it by a southern window, a little bit out of direct sunlight. It was doing nothing except browning a tad on the tips despite only being watered with distilled water.

I saw someone post a photo of a large one on a FB group, and if was outside! I asked about it, and she said -- claimed -- these like full sun. I thought that was pretty ridiculous (but hers was clearly doing well), but after a few more weeks, I decided I didn't care for this plant so I threw it outside to test this claim.

In Las Vegas.
Into the blazing sun from morning to 1pm.
About 90 degrees at the time.

This thing didn't skip a beat. It seemed fine, didn't really burn, and then started getting bigger. Then one new stem emerged, and now another (both yellower that the original whiter one shown).

It's 105-114 here these days. It cares none at all, so I just repotted it yesterday, which also didn't affect it today.

What a trooper! Do you guys know of any other Dracaena that handle this kind of sun and heat?? I had no idea!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting