SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2018, Week 4, Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

This week's title song is for all the gardens and gardeners who are receiving rain these last few days. Hopefully the rain is falling gently and kindly and without unwelcome tagalongs like strong damaging winds and hail.

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (B J Thomas)

If you can remember when this song was a big hit and when the movie was one as well, then you're at least as old as I am. (grin)

As we begin the last full week in June, your heat-loving crops should be coming into their own now. In our garden, the daily harvest continues to be the same old things---tomatoes, peppers (sweet and hot), yellow summer squash and zucchini. There's no sweet corn or cucumbers here as I opted out of planting the back garden due to the early heat/dry conditions at this end of the state, but I imagine those of you who planted corn and cucumbers are close to harvesting them if you haven't started harvesting them already. The okra is very close to producing, but just seems slow to bloom. My okra did get hit by herbicide drift, so for the plants that survived it, the slowness possibly is related to that. The southern peas are very close to their first harvest---possibly today or tomorrow. Melons won't be ready for a while yet since they followed the brassicas and went in later than usual (another problem resulting from not planting the back garden). The last onions, the long daylength Copras, are still standing but have the look of onions approaching maturity. I'm just waiting for their necks to soften and fall over so I can harvest and cure them. These are the onions that will last for many months after curing, whereas the short-day and intermediate-day length types do not last nearly as long in storage. Pole bean and lima bean plants continue to suffer from blossom drop because of the heat and are not likely to produce anything this summer. I'll probably remove these plants and replace them with something else if I don't find any beans on them by the end of the week. The sand plums are through producing, the cultivated plums are producing ripe fruit now, and the peaches are nearing maturity. Of course, we'll have to fight the squirrels for every peach we get.

What's everyone else harvesting?

As the heat cranks up, watch for the summer pests whose populations crank up in the heat. This includes stink bugs (green and brown), harlequin bugs, asparagus beetles, leaf-footed bugs, squash bugs, squash vine borers, spider mites, grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, cucumber beetles (striped and spotted), many kinds of caterpillars, blister beetles and possibly aphids if your garden has them. My garden rarely has aphids so it is hard for me to keep up on when they're showing up or not showing up somewhere else.

If you've been receiving rainfall, keep an eye out for the fungal diseases that tend to pop up in vegetable gardens following summer rainfall.

It's hard to believe that we'll be talking about July just a week from now, but I'm ready for it. The sooner July comes and goes, the closer we get to autumn and (hopefully) kinder gardening conditions.

Have a great week everyone.

And, if anyone else here is like me and not receiving rain, here's our own slightly modified theme song for the week:

It Never Rains in Southern California

I just substitute Oklahoma for California and there's the theme song for my summer.

Dawn

Comments (89)