SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2018, Week 4...The Heat Is On, Part 2

As we enter the fourth week of May, the above average heat is making gardening complicated, especially for those of us suffering from below average rainfall at the same time.

In my garden, hard decisions must be made, and then acted upon. I noticed this evening that after a warm and windy day, the edible podded peas and brassicas look extremely stressed, and the lettuce looks almost as bad. I'm likely to take out all the remaining brassicas Sunday or Monday and plant watermelon seeds in their place. In these temperatures, the brassicas that haven't already made a crop are not likely to do so. I might as well replace them with plants that like the heat. I will try to baby along the edible podded peas long enough to harvest for a couple more weeks as long as powdery mildew doesn't show up. I'll keep harvesting a head of lettuce per day for the chickens, in addition to what I harvest for us. My lettuce isn't getting very bitter yet (which I think is amazing with highs in the 90s) but a lot of the heads are starting to get the elongated look that precedes bolting. The bush bean plants are covered in spider mites, with the visual damage doubling each day over the day before. I will try to harvest beans another week or two before I take them out.

With the weather at our place being too hot and too dry, I've made the decision to not plant the back garden. I want to plant it, but I cannot force it to make any sort of logical sense for me to do so. We are so short of rain here that it doesn't make sense to plant a whole another round of plants in the back garden and then have to water heavily to keep them happy in this heat. So, I'll likely clean it up as if I am going to plant it, and then just try to keep the weeds down and start using it as an area to plant the fall garden in July or August, depending on how much rain falls between now and then. If too little rain falls, there probably won't be a fall garden---at least not in the back garden. In hot, dry summers, the voles devour everything I plant in the back garden, which is mostly very sandy soil low in organic matter, and I have no wish to feed voles all summer long.

I had such big plans for all the heat lovers back in the back garden and, now, instead, I'll have to wait and use most of those heat lovers as succession crops in the front garden. This still will mean cutting back a lot on how much I grow because I planted a ton more flowers than usual in the front garden and didn't save space there for the heat lovers.

Since so many heat lovers I had planned for the back garden are vining, I'll just plant them on the front garden fence where, eventually, it is likely that somebody else's use of herbicide will result in drift that kills them. Oh well, if the herbicide doesn't get the plants on the garden fence, then this early heat and/or lack of rainfall will. Or the spider mites or hordes of tiny grasshoppers will get them.

Inside my head, it is like a big alarm siren is sounding---loudly---warning me that it is going to be a simply awful summer. I am trying to listen to that and honor it and alter my garden plans so that I can enjoy the garden I have without going and planting a larger area that I won't be able to water properly. I never forget that no matter what I do, it is the weather that drives the garden and either propels it to success or drags it to an early grave. This year's weather just seems especially cruel.

So, that's my garden news as we approach the end of May and the Memorial Day weekend. What's happening in your gardens?

Dawn

Comments (94)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21