SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2018, Week 1: Hot Time, Summer In The City

I'm getting worried we'll run out of weekly theme songs that relate to the heat, hot, summer, misery, etc., but here's this week's:

Hot Time, Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful

So, somehow we just made it through a really difficult week with awful weather. At least we get a break for the next couple of days courtesy of the cold front that just made its way through the state over the last day or so. I hope everyone can enjoy the cool day or two. The weather certainly is starting out better this week, even though the heat will build in again after Monday or so. Let's enjoy the cooler day or two while we have them.

How's everyone's gardens doing? Mine is doing okay. I think it only is doing okay because I have it so heavily mulched because rain just isn't falling here, and we've had high temperatures as high as 100. Nothing much has changed since last week, so it is like the garden is in a holding pattern. We're just trying to keep it watered and mulched and hope the plants are strong enough and well enough established to make it through the never-ending heat.

I've harvested more onions as they fall over, and continue to harvest tomatoes almost daily. There's some beans to pick on Monday after Lillie goes home. Even with cooler temperatures on Sunday, I'm not going to drag her out to the garden. We might set up a wading pool in the shade and go out and play in the water though. Some jalapenos are about to reach full size and when they do, we'll harvest them. The sweet peppers aren't doing much of anything. Those plants are just sitting there sweltering in the heat. I'm thinking they might get 50% shade cloth put up over them this week.

The bush beans are holding their own against the spider mites, but didn't set any new beans last week. I'll be watching them closely to see if they set any over the next couple of days. If not, I'll yank them out. There's no use keeping the plants in the garden serving as spider mite incubators if it is so hot that the blossoms continue to drop. I don't know if a 2-day break in the heat, with only slightly cooler temperatures, is enough to make them or the tomatoes set fruit given that the heat has been so awful in general.

The okra plants are about 6-8" tall and starting to grow a little. They aren't as happy in the heat as they ought to be, but the grasshoppers have been chewing on them a lot. The Semaspore knocked back the grasshopper population a lot, and for a few days the garden seemed grasshopper-free for the most part. All those tiny grasshoppers that had been eating holes in literally every single plant in the garden disappeared. Then, as fields around us begin getting a bit brown and crispy from the heat, a whole new bunch of grasshoppers flew in from the fields, and these are about half-grown and hungry. It is going to be a very long summer.

The pole beans, bush lima beans and southern peas all are growing well and look pretty good if you ignore the grasshopper holes in the leaves, but none of them have bloomed yet. I suspect the heat is holding them back.

The squash plants are doing great and I didn't even grow them under netting this Spring. There's still no squash bugs (not that I am complaining) but I'm seeing SVB moths flying around, so it is likely that we've already got SVB grubs tunneling through the plants. I don't even care. It is too hot to care. We'll harvest squash for however long we get it, and then when they kill and destroy the plants, I'll pull up the plants, bag 'em and send them to the dump, and move on and plant something else there---probably Armenian cucumbers for the chickens. They're going to need all the moisture they can get if the summer stays relentlessly hot.

I'm starting to see an occasional cucumber beetle here and there. I squish them when I can get my hands on them. This really is a pretty good year with a very low and late-arriving population of them here. We usually have oodles of them arriving by early March and this year I didn't see any at all until late April, and only saw 1. Then, in the last week or two, I've seen a few more, but not a lot. Flea beetles are still around, but not doing enough damage to worry about.

We have assassin bugs and wheelbugs in the garden, but I'm not sure what they're eating. Hopefully they're finding something. There's also stink bugs. I hope something or someone is killing the stink bugs. They are doing a lot of damage to the tomato plants.

That's about all from here. So, let us hear about what's going on with you and your garden....your gardening life....here, in Oklahoma, in the hot summer in the city....or the suburbs, the exurbs or out in the sticks. The one thing we all have in common, in addition to being gardeners, is that we all are having relentlessly hot weather far too early.

Dawn

Comments (99)