SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Don't like sous vide?

plllog
5 years ago

In Jasdip's cold meat question thread people declared that they didn't care for sous vide meats. I find that interesting because of all things, sous vide is one of the least obvious cooking methods in most applications because the food is sealed away from any influence of the cooking environment other than low level heat. The big exception is with less cooked red meats which are "edge to edge" at the same temperature/color (though may have a thin line of sear on the outside), which is not a normal sight with standard cooking methods. Outside of red meats, it's really hard to tell by looking.

I'm a convert to sous vide for Passover. If I'm cooking sitdown for 2-3 dozen with two main proteins, it's a huge boon. Feedback from the guests is always positive and enthusiastic (I know the difference between polite thanks and true enthusiasm from my kin).

Last year (we didn't have Seder at home this year) it was four rolled and netted turkey breasts and a huge bison chuck roast that I had to whomp into three pieces to fit the bags. The turkey was just cooked with a sprig of herb in the bag (I can't remember what). I do it at the temperature on a reference table to give a texture as if roasted, rather than rare (eew). It does stay quite pink, but not unappetizingly so. The only problem is that having no drying out action from hot air circulation, the turkey was hard to hold to cut cleanly and some of the slices weren't pretty. I used a sharp slicing knife with granton edge. Perhaps a standard carving knife would have been better? People declared it the best turkey they'd ever had. I actually prefer roasted, but I"m not a huge fan of turkey flavor and I think the sous vide did taste more turkeyish. Or maybe it was just those turkeys and what they ate. The chuck was done inspired by Kenji Lopez-Alt, and finished in a low oven, somewhat barbecue style, with a brush of sauce to keep the surface from over drying. It was in the ice chest with the circulator for days. The result was luscious and incredible and SO delicious. Chuck. With sous vide it got to have the ultimate of low and slow.

Sous vide cooking is just an alternative oven. It's up to the cook to use it to make the food come out in an appealing way. To those who declare they don't like sous vide, I say, don't condemn an entire cooking tool on the basis of a few bad dishes... It's worth trying again if you're offered something different than you've had that sounds appealing. And you may already be enjoying food that was cooked sous vide where it just wasn't mentioned on the menu...

Comments (73)

• plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Biodanomina, I'm sorry I didn't read your joke right. And I do know people like the ones you describe. But there is also a big flavor and texture difference between different temperatures and you really can tell the difference at fully, 100%, no shred of pink showing, well done. The problem with well done is that it's really hard to achieve. Med-rare a little over, is a lovely medium. Well done a little over is somewhere between hockey puck and shoe leather. But just because you can't see the brown ring doesn't mean it isn't there, especially for your friends who don't want any pink. Instead of the well at the edges and med-rare in the middle, off the grill they may be getting shoe leather on the edges and well in the middle. I would think sous vide would be, for them, best of all!

Dcarch, thank-you for the multi-temp steaks explanation. You've probably said before and I didn't absorb it. I get it after a short ponder. Once the 137 is done through, it can stay warm and not cook further at 132. Very clever!

When I've used two circulators it's been for things like the three day chuck and four hour turkey. :) But even on that, in the end, one of the circulators was unhappy, so I put the turkey in the meat bath after I set the meat to rest before finishing in the oven, and it all came out fine in the end. Most people don't need two, I don't think.

2Many, you're very very welcome. But you needn't sacrifice your cooler! I haven't so adapted mine. The vessel can stand open, especially on a hot day where it won't be losing heat as fast as the circulator can pump it.. Or make a cutout lid out of cardboard and styrofoam (ask your appliance dealer for scraps), and put that over the open cooler.

Re storing your circulator, if you choose Anova, as Sleevendog said, the packaging tube is excellent for storage. Or you could save the beautiful tube for long term and use the shipping box during the remodel, with some clean paper or cloth to keep dust out of it. I'm encouraging you for the reasons you mentioned. You're out of your kitchen and you can walk away from the meat and it'll be done perfectly when you get around to it.

Besides running on when I'm tired, my words get bigger and more obscure. :) But if you really get ticked off by odd pronouncements of non-cook friends, you can open a discussion of the relative merits of mirepoix, holy trinity, a simple Italian sofrito, or an authentic Spanish one. ;) Just don't do it around well lubricated Latin men. The arguments over the relative indispensability of peppers can get, um, heated.

And, yes, you can break down a large cut of meat, seal the pieces and either cook them all, then freeze some as is in their vacuum packs, or freeze raw and then put them frozen (raw or cooked) right into the circulator bath. I'm not a big fan of home freezing raw meat, but if you're going to do it, vacuum sealed is definitely the way to go.

No luck on the computer today, but the good news is that the washer is fixed. :)

I found charts at Sous Vide Supreme (another circulator company) that seem to have similar info. I don't recognize it visually, but it might be the same with a new web design. https://sousvidesupreme.com/pages/cooking-guides  This should be a good starting place. I've always had good luck with the info provided by manufacturers on stuff like this. They spend a lot of time designing their goods, and testing, so it makes sense that they'd have a clue. They don't always have good recipes, but the technical info is usually spot on. And the temperatures don't care which brand it is, or whether you're using a hotel pan, a foot bath or an ice chest. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

plllog, I actually tried using the Instant Pot (ultra) as a faux sous vide, but the temps were all over the place so that was a fail. It cooked both cuts (steak) to well (not even medium and I was going for mid-rare), and I grilled them quickly to sear, but they were tender. Which was strange to me, as well-done has never been tender for me. They were just too overcooked for my taste.

Yes, I had to read dcarch’s clever method 3 times before I understood it, but then it really made sense, and is incredibly ingenious.

Ah, clever to use styrofoam – I could do that! You know I remembered last night, we got rid of 2 perfectly good large ice chests last summer : ( Well, I’ll use the styrofoam method, and we won’t have to buy another! I’d not thought about asking an appliance dealer – bet they have some thick chunks! Foot bath… that cracked me up!

No, my friends don’t even want to discuss cooking. What they don’t do, they don’t care about. At all. Fine by me. But no need to roll the eyes! The holy trinity was actually a new term for me… the things I don’t know could fill a book! The things I’ve learned could fill another book! DH thinks that holy trinity/mirepoix is a meal in and of itself simply from the scent of sautéing! “Dinner sure smells good” – this always makes me smile to myself.

Thank you for explaining I could sous vide, then freeze, then finish off. That seems like an ideal situation these days (any time, actually). I think it’d be a great way to an easy meal: thawing sous vide med-rare cuts (cheaper cuts, no less!) and doing a quick sear to caramelize (and re-heat), then topping a salad or adding to tacos or soups and such. Chicken ready for salads… a fast pork chop dinner… I could go on and on…

Your link to the cooking charts took me to a 404 Page not found, which makes no sense because I googled it, found them, and it’s the same URL! And, that’s the one I printed out and lost! With a little cutting, cropping, etc., as it’s an image, not copy/paste text form. Thank you, plllog!

I realize I’ve blathered on and on, as usual. Will add this: DH will take some convincing if I’m to add both the Anova and a food saver to my temp kitchen – as he says, it’s got more going on than most my friend’s regular kitchens! However, with all the take-out we’ve eaten (and the prices are ridiculous – we could dine on prime cuts every other night instead of flat greasy burgers and overly salted fries) – not that I’d want that much red meat… And I've got plenty of credit points to get both for nothing ; )

Thanks again for all your help!

PS: I sure hope others are reading (or will find this at some time) and getting some insight/interest too.

• Related Discussions

Sous Vide - First Impressions

Q

Comments (35)
    I definitely have a Sous Vide Supreme on my want list but since I recently dropped about $700 on a VitaMix set at Costoc it will probably be a while. :D One dish that really fascinates me when prepared Sous Vide is Fried Chicken. Have you tried this before? I love experimenting with new techniques to improve fried chicken and this one is very promising. (My other favorite method is pressure cooker fried chicken but that's pretty dangerous if you don't have the right equipment!) To make Sous Vide Fried Chicken soak your chicken in a strong brine for 30-40 minutes, rinse and soak in seasoned buttermilk for 8-12 hours. Season the meat with your preferred spices, maybe a little hot sauce or fresh buttermilk. Put the chicken in vacuum bags and cook at 160F for an hour. At that point you can dry the meat, coat in seasoned flour and fry it. Alternatively you can chill the meat down in ice water and hold in the fridge for quick frying later. The benefit to that method is that you can do all of the prep work for fried chicken in advance. Also, there are no worries about undercooked centers or dried meat. The chicken stays incredibly moist and the flavors really penetrate the meat. It's great if you want to cook a large amount of fried chicken for a crowd in a short amount of time. It's also good if you want to fry chicken to order. One warning though, you might want to cook the chicken to 165 though since the USDA has recently revised their meat cooking guidelines. Here is a link that might be useful: Hacking Your Slow Cooker: D.I.Y. Sous Vide Setup
    ...See More

Racking Up Sous Vide's Pros/Cons, Reprise

Q

Comments (10)
    Posted by annie1992 "I don't like lamb in any form, so won't conjecture on the proper cooking of it. (grin) ----" Annie, I didn't use to like lamb at all, until they start charging a lot of money. Expensive = taste good ? LOL FOAS, thank you. I look forward to seeing more of your sous vide creations. Alexa, at the risk of being accused of anti Occam's Razor law, let's take a little time to chew the fat. First, the pictures might be a little misleading. I take food pictures using only the auto setting on my camera to save time. Depending on if the light is from the window (day) or from the CFL (night) or if the shot is wide-angle or close-up and the predominant color of the food item, the camera's built-in software takes charge and determines the red/white/blue balance for each picture. The colors on the first two are closer to the real thing. Rack of lamb, very expensive. If you take away the fat, and the bones, and shrinkage, it probably comes to $60.00 a pound here in NYC. Meat, bones and fat have different thermal conductivities, adding to it, the small size and the shape of a rack of lamb, it makes it very difficult to cook it perfectly unless you prefer the whole thing well-done. It is challenging to find a way to maximize perfection to every tiny morsel of this wondrous victual. At the temperature I set at 135F, it is too low to render the fat. Since I don�t eat the fat, it does not bother me just to scrape the fat off while I eat. But if I were to serve others who are not followers of the Paleolithic diet, I probably BBQ the fat a little longer and that will make the issue go away. No, you cannot make Schmaltz using a sous vide cooker. I think it needs to be emphasized that sous vide is merely a particular way of cooking with a special appliance. There is really no recipes for sous vide, no more than recipes for microwave, or cast iron frying pan, etc. It is unfortunate that the French word "sous vide" gives this concept a lot of unjustified mystique; the fact that top chefs and upscale restaurant use it makes it appearing un-approachable. It makes it seem like practitioners of this way of cooking belong to some religious cult. The truth is this: sous vide is just a water oven that can keep constant temperatures. If I were to name this appliance, I would call it "Cookware For Making Perfect Meats For Dummies" If you show a 10-year-old kid how to set the temperature, the kid can cook the meat sous vide just like a top chef. A sous vide cooker simply will not allow you to overcook or undercook, it makes no difference if your piece of meat is frozen on one half and the other half at room-temperature, thick on one end and thin on the other end. No doubt, sous vide is going to go thru similar fade as the microwave oven did. First microwave oven was scosting like $5,000 and there were many myths and fears surrounding these bizarre new electronic "radar ranges." By the seventies, more and more people were finding the benefits of microwave cooking to outweigh the supposedly risks, and none of them were dying of radiation poisoning, going blind, becoming sterile, or impotent. As fears ebbed, acceptance began pouring into the kitchens. dcarch
    ...See More

Sous Vide Help?

Q

Comments (10)
    I did my test today. Couldn't find my fancy pounder so used a mallet. It could have been flatter, but I didn't want to make it into mush. The pieces looked so pretty on the platter, but I forgot to take the picture. I was careful to try it less than perfectly hot since that inevitably happens along the line. It was great! But I'm going to rethink the plum sauce. I don't think it did anything for the meat, and it couldn't compete with the stuffing for flavor. The stuffing is unsulphured apricots, a few medjool dates, pistachios, a crisp white wine and Spanish varietal EVOO. And matzah. Just run through the FP easy peasy. The roulades might have been prettier tied with string but I used silicone bands because they're so hugely much easier. This was 145° F for about 3.5 hrs. The meat is slightly pink, but not "IT'S RAW!" pink, and the texture is cooked. It sliced really easily with a granton edged slicer (except when I got distracted).
    ...See More

First time doing a Sous Vide ....

Q

Comments (30)
    Made chicken breasts yesterday, after some research. It's the reason I bought the sous vide. I will be raising chickens this year, but I've never ever eaten chicken breast that I truly enjoyed. It's dry and it's stringy, no matter how it is prepared or by whom. 149 F, 2 hours, skin on. Cooked with salt, pepper, fresh thyme. Wrapped one with a slice of bacon, added avocado oil to the other. Sliced and served under a sauce/topping of butter, onion, lime, many mushrooms, spinach, tarragon, melted cheese, wine. I'm a fan!!! I even enjoyed the test slice I topped with nothing.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2Many, Good for you for experimenting! But, yeah, regular countertop cookers usually have inferior temperature control because they don't need it. The kind of recipes one usually makes in an instapot aren't the med-rare ones. :) So, the tender is probably from being in the bag. I assume that's what you meant? That you used a bag and the water displacement method? If so, you don't have hot air drying the meat from the outside, or a grill for the juices to drip through.

I'm glad you found the chart!

So...remember those flours and spices you packed away? Can you really really truly not get to them? Because you could use your new FoodSaver you're getting from points (yeah!) and some of the bags that come with it which are better for storage than cooking to preserve them! They're much more likely to last for the duration if they're vacuum sealed. :) But check the procedure for powders.

Your description of how you'd like to freeze cooked portions then thaw and finish them sounds like a great use! You might need to read up or experiment to make sure that you get it hot enough in the middle when you do the outside, but it sounds eminently doable.

And you're very welcome! I wanted to start this thread to bring out a more nuanced view of sous vide cooking, for the sake of discussion, and I think we've done that and more. I've certainly learned things!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

FOAS, gosh, I almost couldn’t stop reading the info on your link, and watching the videos! Lots of detailed information, especially some additional questions I had were answered, such as how long sous vide can stay in the fridge or freezer safely so long as it remains in the food saver vacuum seal – Thank you! I do understand I must put it in an ice bath ASAP if I plan to refrigerate.

Plllog, yes, you assumed correctly, and I’ll add, I truly dislike the water displacement method! I had such trouble removing air (and yes, even tried a straw, which was actually worse) that I ended up placing heavy table knives in another bag and placing those inside the steak bags to weight them! Argh! The Instant Pot Ultra was said to have an 11 degree discrepancy, but using a temp probe, I found it to be far more than that – both ways. I’d hoped to regulate it, but just couldn’t.

No, I honestly can’t get to the flours and spices : ( They were packed, along with the entire contents and some furniture in our kitchen, living room, and dining room and stacked ceiling high into a guest room. The kitchen items are at the back wall. I should have known better as I’ve tossed old flour out before. Oh well.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

"you assumed correctly, and I’ll add, I truly dislike the water displacement method! I had such trouble removing air (and yes, even tried a straw, which was actually worse) that I ended up placing heavy table knives in another bag and placing those inside the steak bags to weight them! Argh! "

You can buy special food safe sous vide weights to put inside the bag.

dcarch

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

^^ See, the things one learns! Thanks dcarch!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

You actually do not need to put any weight inside the bag with your food. Or spend the extra money. Binder clip a household weight to the outside of the bag. Food saver seal a bag of coins or a rock or a brick, ...

I like the Ikea pot rack. It can be used upside down to hold a bag down and if needed to hold down further, a weight on top. I think it is less than 10$.

I used a nice heavy flat rock before I picked up the Ikea rack. Rare that I have a 'floater', but with the Ikea rack you can clip to the tines.

5 years ago

About the two person use, or even if just me alone, or before SousVide in my home, the food saver was a game changer. Organic good quality proteins are expensive, so the proper 'air removed' sealing does protect the quality.

At the moment, after two weekends of grilling/smoking, I have about 8 packages of pork loin with the apple/rhubarb sauce, (tacos, noodle bowl, Cubanos)...3-4 London broil seasoned and sous vide, a couple brisket all ready for the grill, sous vide and just need an over-night thaw. 6 pork chop meals seasoned and frozen I can sous vide straight from the freezer...as well as cod, shrimp, scallops and salmon in portions. I need quick meals this time of year. Shockingly took up very little freezer space for all those meals. (stuffed from a triple batch burger/sausage bun baking, and a grinding of 3 dozen burgers and all that rhubarb and berries now harvesting)

– as he says, it’s got more going on than most my friend’s regular kitchens!

We are not like most of our friends, ; ) That is why you are here and why you want a more efficient kitchen.

I have friends that wear Prada and eat out most meals. Yikes what they must spend just meeting friends for drinks before dinner.

Same group tried an intervention/make-over to get me out of 'who knows what'. DH was sympathetic and said "go along the best you can", lol. Sitting in a pub window winking and eyeing boys is not fun. I wanted to be in my seed staring room and prepping foods for the garden weekend in the country! In jeans and dirty wet knees.

Do not try and get me in a sundress or a boring beach suntanning weekend. : )

• plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Been there, 2Many. The first things I packed away, in the ungettatable corner because I knew I wouldn't need them, were all my entertaining dishes. Then my folks declared that Seder absolutely wasn't going to be at their house, even though demolition was set for the middle of Passover. I had to borrow big pots and roaster oven, and serve on disposable. It's definitely not worth bringing down the stacks over a little flour. :)

But it's also worth having as well equipped a kitchen as you can. I thought a three month Summer remodel with a microwave and induction hot plate, plus fridge and freezer would be fine, but the tile vendors lied all over the place, some started making the floor on the delivery date, and then when I did receive some for the backsplash they weren't useable and had to wait to have them remade, etc. That turned into most of a year remodel and no heat in the Winter because of the plaster dust (had to have the ducts cleaned before turning on the HVAC). Don't do that! The best equipped your temp kitchen is, the fewer imps will play pranks on you to watch you squirm. And when things stall out on progress, you can at least look forward to well prepared, nutritious meals.

BTW, the Instapot may have better temperature control with a stew than water. The design may depend on a certain amount of mass.

Sleevendog, LOL about the sundress!! New York is such an interesting (read foreign) place! You're much more likely to find me in a sundress than jeans, but equally, wet, etc., from work. :) I do dress better to go out, but when friends look askance I just say that one of my faults is a paucity of vanity. :) There's no comeback to that. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, I don’t post much on weekends, but I do read GW cooking on the cell sometimes, and after reading your post, DH said “why are you smiling like that?” I continued to smile and answered “sleevendog”. Funny, he knew. He’s probably tired of hearing me talk of my friends on GW cooking, how incredible you all are, how I wish my own friends and acquaintances took the same pleasure/passion in cooking, growing, or any DIY.

Jeans and dirty wet knees. Seed staring room (I’ll assume you meant starting, but staring also is true!) You didn’t mention the feeling of hands in the soil. The joy of getting the roots when digging weeds. Satisfaction as the seedlings you planted grows another set of leaves, then another. Working in the yard even though it’s raining cats and dogs (and not caring if anyone thinks you’re a loony). Bringing anything in from the garden. The joy of ‘the prep’ (wait, you did mention that!). The millions of times you think to yourself: this is so much better tasting than what I can buy at the store. But I know you think it : ) Don’t we all.

And you’re right, the food saver is something I’ll wish I had bought years ago. I freeze so much.

Thank you for elaborating on what you’d recently sous vide. How you’ll use it. So many good ideas there. That sealed the deal for me.

Plllog, you’re so right. I thought an electric skillet, a toaster oven, the grill, and the microwave would do me. The Instant Pot recommendation here has been a game-changer. Now, sous vide, and yes, it will be another game changer. I’ve heard so many stories like yours of remodels taking far longer, for all kinds of reasons. I know ours will drag on. And on. I just know it.

At some point we’ll have to pack up the entire kitchen – everything but the fridge (which will go in our bedroom). I’m not sure for how long, but my thinking is if I have something sous vide in the fridge (and food-saved veggies!) that grill outside will do me. One bin of dishes and pans (and tucking the sous vide in somewhere too!), and I can live like that for a while. I hope! I’ve never eaten so much fast food in… ever.

So, after an overlong explanation to DH why the sous vide would come in handy now, rather than wait until after the remodel, and why I’d want to get a food saver also, his response? “Whatever you want”.

Ordered! Arriving next week! Thanks to all!!!!!!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Food Saver and Anova orders...

Photos for uploading · More Info

5 years ago

Better keep your bladder empty or you will wee yourself when you open the Anova.

: )

5 years ago

Do start with a less expensive cut. Something you gave up on in the past that always came out tough and chewy. I did boneless pork chops cut very thick and cut a big London broil in half. Both I rub with olive oil, spice rub and herbs. Double seal the bags. You could fit easily 4 meals, bagged, in a pasta pot clipped to the edge...

I always check SeriousEats or similar for times and temps when trying something new or to re-fresh/double-check my notes.

The bags you plan to freeze can be taken out earlier and quick chilled in an ice bath. The meal for tomorrow as well. Just chill and fridge. The last bag for tonight can just stay in your bath at temp and go straight to the grill. Any juices can be used for a gravy/sauce. (pat dry meat with p-towel) and add any dry spice or not.

Jot down what time/temp you used for next time. I keep mine posted inside an upper cabinet door. OOops, you have no cabinets. Just write the drywall, lol.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Too late... but fortunately it happened at home ; ) I also felt a bit of drool, I think.

Also got the food saver. I have nothing to sous vide tonight.. that will change!

But, I have thus far food-saved pine nuts, sriracha salt, sweet bourbon salt, (yeah, nothing really to vacuum seal here!) and DH's baked chips bag. Resealed it. He laughed when he got home! Sadly, it didn't stop him. Need super glue or something.

I have a pork center loin thawing in the fridge... will thaw by tomorrow at which point I will cut them into chops, sous vide them, and freeze for later enjoyment. Got it on sale : ) I'd never consider using it for pork chops, so I'm hoping for the best! The other half still in the fridge, which I'll brine and make Canadian bacon.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you sleeve, I'd read to ice bath, so have made those notes.... and as you can see from above, pork chops which I wouldn't otherwise even attempt to cook. It was all too big for Canadian bacon so I cut it in half - thank goodness! I intend to pick up a london broil tomorrow (keeping fingers crossed, they had them last week).

Glad you mentioned a dry rub/seasoning prior to grilling... hadn't read about that.

Also, did read the juices can be used, but not sure about the coagulate stuff?? Can I just pour the juice as is after grilling on the meat, or should I heat it, remove the 'stuff' and add wine/mushrooms, etc.? I know I'm asking a lot...

ETA: Drywall... ha! DH has all the framing marked with electrical notes, so that's out!

• plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Congratulations on the new toys!!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thanks plllog - I'll update as I go because everyone's been so amazing here! I do 'get' that this is another tool for the kitchen. Sure am hoping I get the hang of it, as it'd be great to reheat pre-cooked food with the sous vide and finish off quickly on the grill. This cooking in a temp kitchen is getting difficult.

You know, you said I could set it up in any room and I chuckled at the thought. We've got the electric cut in the temp kitchen now, so that's gonna be happening! Not laughing now!

5 years ago

The juices are easier to use straight from the bath being warm. Not as easy from a thawed protein. I don't always use it but can be encouraged out with a spatula. Or run the bottom of the bag under hot tap water. Not always enough to use but good flavor to add to a saucepan if a sauce is in the works anyway. I doubt I would bother without a working kitchen. I have so much rosemary that I really want those juices so I've been using it recently.

You can search and read about all our love/hates with food savers. Why I take the time to double seal both ends. A bone or shrimp tail can poke a small hole, etc. Another package in the freezer can poke them. ...

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thanks sleevendog... I found an older post by you mentioning how you put together quick sauces for sous vide (butter, shallots, garlic, etc), and I'll try adding any 'fresh' juice to that to enhance the flavor.

I'd read (here, of course!) about double sealing in a post (will never find that, but I remembered for some reason) and practiced double sealing today : ) Both ends, noted. I used a post-it note to extend the bag : )

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Gosh, I can feel your excitement! I love your hand-written notes that you put on your photos! I laugh at each one, what a riot!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I literally booted my old computer and logged on so I could make this response! I laughed so hard when I read ^^ that! I'm still laughing! Had I known you were reading them, I'd have been a bit more clever and probably checked my spelling!!! Thank you for brightening my evening : ) And yes, I'm very excited!

Oh.. I just found out there will be work done in the back yard week after this... where the grill is... for 2 weeks. DH will only move it to the side of the house where gravel and so forth will be unloaded and machinery moving back and forth. So, anything sous vide I grill off may have a bit of grit to it : D Eh, I don't mind!

plllog thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

I am also "learning" sous vide. This week was the. most. amazing. experience to date. I got a tri tip which, when served was declared to be "great prime rib". Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating..... but in all honesty, not by much.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

sherri1058 - that's so encouraging! I've read about 'almost prime rib' cheap cuts - and seen photos, videos, and pic's here on GW. I couldn't get my pork loin to thaw in time for last night, and had planned something else for tonight. We can't get tri-tip here, but I got something worse, LOL!

Starting the sous vide for my uber-cheap meat today, for tomorrow night's dinner, and am very excited! I did sous vide something quickly last night (a-mazing, best ever!) but want to get more under my belt before "reporting back"! Today will be spent packaging things and readying for sous vide's in week(s) to come.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

For me, sous vide and chicken breast is the way to go. By the time the interior is cooked using traditional methods, the outside is dry and unwelcome. With sous vide, the whole breast gets cooked to where you want it. I do wrap it with bacon when possible, to retain even more moisture.

I'm happier with steak or salmon in the skillet (or on the grill). Because it's faster. And if one is quickly browning the meat (steak, anyway) after, one has to turn the range temps up so high the smoke detectors just love to go off. Salmon can be browned at a lower temp. They do still taste good once you get it down. Thicker cuts would work better especially if you do like rare/medium rare, and you plan to sear.

I do want to try some of the much longer cooking cuts of meat in one, but I just haven't as of yet. I don't want to use the sous vide at over some temperature point, because BPA-free or not, who knows what else will melt out of the plastic! (So I have yet to try veggies in one.)

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Re sous vide chart: Joule has a free app you can download (and you don't need a Joule, just don't sign in), and you can see visuals of the cut of meat or whatever, at several suggested temperatures.

I don't have a Joule (I don't want something the ONLY way you can use it is to be internet-connected or whatever), and this app been great for letting me know what temperature to set my own device (a Gourmia) at. And the best range of time.

Serious Eats has also partnered with Anova, and they've put out visual charts and some good information for certain types of meat and for salmon on their (Serious Eat's) website.

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

artemis_ma, totally agree with you on the chicken breast. Finally, I don't worry about over cooking it!

2Many, Tri tip isn't something that is generally available here. I found it at Costco, and it was pre-seasoned, so I figured why not? Did you know that you can sous vide from frozen? I think the general rule for short cooks is to increase your cook time by 50%. If you're doing something that needs a long cook, you don't need to add any extra time.

5 years ago

Yes, you can Vide from frozen. I think 2DM knows that. She wants to cut the loin into 'steaks' before Viding. Much better portions for seasoning/grilling.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Yes, thank you artemis_ma. I'd found the Serious Eats site a while back, and sleevendog also mentioned it, which gave me more confidence in their times and temps. I downloaded the Anova app, but have yet to even look at it - just going manual for now. I'm going to install that Joule app!

Thanks sherri, I've gotten very confused about the cooking from frozen info (too much online!). I'd read something like take the full cook time and divide that in half, then add that to cook time (i.e. if cooking 1 hour, add another 30), then read to add 40 minutes to pretty much anything. But what about big cuts of meat? It gets a bit confusing. Still, what a wonderful option!

I intend to do some sous vide'ing this week and weekend, report back with photos too. If you want to share your experiences, I'm sure the OP (plllog!) would be fine with that - and I for one would love to hear your thoughts, experiences as someone else new to sous vide. I'm sure others new like you and I are curious, and perhaps we might have a few reading who are just very interested but have yet to try.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, I'm also cutting the 'cheap meat' down too. If it comes out even decent, what great lunch meat, salad topping, tacos, hearty rice soup, etc.! ....Not that I got any ideas from you or anything ; ) LOL! Yes, I keep scrolling and re-reading this whole thread!

Ok, off to cut up that pork loin... I bought way too much proteins yesterday, and combined with the usual huge produce haul, my fridge might fall through the floor!

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

Thanks Sleevendog. I missed that part!

2Many, I also spend a lot of my time reading. I think the worst part is trying to figure out time and (to a lesser extent) temperature. When I was figuring out the Tri tip, I found times which ranged from 2 hours to 24 hours, but most were on the lower end so I settled on 6 but ended up with 7 1/2 because DH was late getting home.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing that - I'm also finding wide time ranges - crazy huh? I know it will be experimental initially, and intend to keep time, temps and notes on everything (seasoning, finish) as suggested to me. I plan, this time at least, to use a somewhat long time for this uber tough cut... Whew, along with not even half the pork loin which made 8, 2" chops, I am still prepping, sealing, and labeling!

One thing I'll hint at here - dinner last night was fast and easy, but really what amazed me were the flavors infused in only sous vide. My gosh.

BTW, I finally realized, to double seal on this foodsaver, just cut off 1/4" off the end, and stick it back in. I was initially doing something ridiculous! I also like that you can turn off the vacuum at any time - great for freezing breads and getting some air out without squishing : )

plllog thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I'm actually looking forward to trying some longer term recipes - 24/36 hour sort of things. Every time though, I think of one I want (and have the item to so cook on hand) I discover I have other plans for when it is done, sometimes out of town! Some day!

I am new to this myself, got my sous vide back in mid March. So I am interested in this thread and everyone's experiments! My favorite so far remains the bone in skin on chicken breast which I find works great at 148-150 degrees F, and does not look pink. Boneless works at that temp, too. I run this about 1 hour 30 minutes, and reserve all juices. Flavors are truly reserved!!!

Not keen on breaking it out right now... anything that adds more humidity to the air in a house currently without A/C is anathema to me!

BTW, the actual Ziploc bags are BPA-free. I have been using them, that brand (the truly zipping bags, not the snapping bags) instead of the Food Saver at this point. I will be switching over in the near future. I'm still NOT comfortable using any plastic bag at the temps required for most vegetables.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

artemis_ma, my goodness, no a/c? I wouldn't use any form of cooking - it'd be cold everything! So glad you mentioned the chicken breast - I had in my notes from online 90 minutes too : ) I made a note of 146 F, so might bump it up now.

I usually post on the WFD thread, but since I'm sous vide'ing (not sure how to spell or say that!) quite a lot right now I thought I'd wait until the weekend was over, then report back on this thread. I'll be doing 2 cuts of meat that require longer times (round sirloin tip roast is one), as well as the pork center loin chops, chicken I hope (have it ready, not sure how this weekend will go) and salmon. Eh, probably something else : )

I've recently learned I'll be losing use of both grill (or rather easy access to it) and temporary kitchen (due to needing to turn the power off all next week for DH to work) so I'm trying to sous vide much as I can beforehand - perhaps if things go well, I can have items in the freezer already (from today's work) which I can finish off if needed in the electric skillet on the back porch, if the dust-raising isn't too bad.

I tried the Ziplock bags when doing a failed faux sous vide with my instant pot and never could get the bag's contents to stay under properly. Might have to try again as some interesting recipes call for marinades. I have frozen one marinade (for chicken) and vacuum sealed it with success just today.

Gosh, don't mean to gab, but I've read carrots are really good in the sous vide. And someday, I'll be trying pots de creme, because that's my favorite dessert : )

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

2 Many Diversions: 148 worked best for me with chicken breast. Try that. I added 150 to the post to keep some readers less paranoid about temperature. But 148 worked awesome for me.

Re A/C. I was supposed to get geothermal but the rebates dried up because construction was too slow. I am having to deal with heat this summer, but will get central air before 2019. I was certainly wanting the more environmentally efficient geothermal, but one reason I moved to retire in MA rather than with my sibling to FL is that since I can't stand the heat or humidity... I had to get out of the FL kitchen idea!!! (Grin.)

• plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago

2Many, indeed, I'm thrilled to have you continue to post about your adventures here. In CF, once the initial point of the post is resolved, any kind of digression is usually acceptable. Your additions are on topic!

OTOH, this thread is getting long, and it might behoove you to open a new thread. That's up to you, however. If you prefer this one, go for it. :) We used to have a 150 post maximum, but nowadays I think threads can run on forever.

Regarding times, chicken and small cuts of turkey will start to go mushy after about four hours. For minimum times, just follow the charts, and check with a probe thermometer if you're not sure. You can always put it in a ziploc to finish if it's under, or go a little longer/hotter when browning.

Red meat generally can take a long long time in the bath without harm. Tougher, larger cuts may take days, but steaks can generally take hours extra.

Remember, if you're doing a long long cook, you should check your water level. Even a small aperture can give evaporation an exit.

Artemis, are you okay with cooking with parchment paper? If so, you could try packing your items en papillote and slipping that into the bag. That would keep anything undesirable from contact with the food, though it would still be in the water and thereby in the air.

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

Thanks plllog!

2Many & artemis_ma, I used both 149 and for my chicken breast cooks, and time ranged 90 to 120 minutes. Great texture, no pink!

The first couple times I did steak I overcooked it! I think I "forgot" that the steak was already cooked when I started the sear..... either that, or the 'Q wasn't hot enough and by the time I got the colour I was looking for it was overcooked. I'm getting better at it though.

Not sure about the veggies SV..... I'm sure they are amazing, but what about my combi steam oven that I paid a fortune for?

• Islay Corbel
    5 years ago

All veggies are amazing as ALL the flavour stays in the bag. Endives cut in half with a little butter and ginger, carrots with a little orange, potatoes for a nearly instant gratin.....

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

carrots SV with lemon pepper and orange peel.

5 years ago

If another thread is started, put Sous Vide in the title so it will come up easily in a search.

I've not used it for veggies much but would like to explore a bit more. I like my steam oven so much I don't really need to go there. I did some testing early on with great success. In a 'part-2' thread I'd like to hear some recipes.

5 years ago

Here is the londonBroil from earlier pic

. I took two out Friday night. One we grilled with the burgers Saturday. (last minute decision). Good call as a couple of us just had slices with salads and opted out on the burger. The second one we smoked for Sunday night supper low and slow while cold smoking cheese. Just about 45 minutes, lots of smoke, about 180-200º. The left-over half, the jerky pup stole while my back was turned...it was saved for some lunches and maybe tacoTuesday. Jerky. : )

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Artemis_ma, I had 146 written originally, but have changed it to 148 – thank you. OT: I woke up in the middle of the night last night, literally sat up, and almost said aloud “that is artemis ma’s kitchen!” Forgive me, I didn’t remember your reveal post, but I guess it’s been in my subconscious all the while… I love your kitchen (said that a while back, but worth repeating). I even remember a family member had made or found an incredible crazy-looking langolier-like (from a Stephen King book) metal creature sculpture with eating utensils which I adored! I hear you, I’m now in TN, where the humidity makes me soaked after 10 minutes outside. I loved NM, the heat so dry… but DH is here, so I am : )

Plllog, you have a good point. I was thinking if there were followers, or later someone searching, they’d like to hear a newbie’s experiences, but yes, this is a long thread now, and many might skip over some of this invaluable information accidentally. I’ll start a new thread but include reference to this one. I’m (again) saving your comments. I need to write all this out in a notebook – writing it again will help me remember without having to look up things every time. I put a towel over and around the container with my long-cook meat yesterday and had been watching the water level like a mother hen : )

Sherri, I’ll keep your comment in mind about fast sears. See? These types of learning experiences are so helpful and I feel others can also benefit!

That’s what I’d read Islay! Endive with butter and ginger? Instant gratin? My brain is in joyful overload!

Bragu, I’d never have thought of that combo, ever… will now!

Sleeve, I think I will start a new thread.. Yes, I will put sous vide in the title : )

“In a 'part-2' thread I'd like to hear some recipes.” – Last night I was thinking the same thing! I’ll make that request and share what I’ve got thus far (which isn’t much, but it’s a start!). Ha! There’s a very happy dog at your home! Did you smile or grumble? I’d have done both! Ah, so you use it for lunches and tacos! Or were going too..

Oh my, that London broil… I hope I’m not sous vide’ing (OK, how do you say it???) the round sirloin tip roast too long… oh well, trial and error!

Sleevendog, I know I sound dense, but to clarify: You had a London broil that had been sous vide earlier, then you smoked it 45 minutes at 180-200 F to finish? Because, I’m thinking I can get (even in this heat) the weber and pellet tube at 200 F…

I have yet to pre-sous vide and freeze anything – because I need to get my times and temps down before doing several at once.

This is so embarrassing, but it’s the only way to learn: I looked for a London broil last Tuesday - but I was also looking for Top Round (which I also couldn’t find). Now I understand London broil is Top Round or Flank Steak or the way it’s prepared??? I bought the ‘round sirloin tip roast’ because it was cheap, and have never bought one before (it’s about the same thickness I think as Sleeve’s London Broil pic). It’s my understanding the top round is more tender than the sirloin tip, but the sirloin tip has some flavor. I’ve stared at photos of cow cuts, read multiple beef articles and my brain is now sous vide! If anyone can clarify what a London broil is, I’d appreciate it!

5 years ago

And don't forget about tempering chocolate. I make chocolate bars using puffed quinoa, crystallized ginger, pistachio, and coconut flake, sea salt...duh, the add-ins are endless. : )

That combo was a big hit. Made the last batch for a bake sale. Puffed rice works as well. Just give it a toasting in a low heat oven. (the 'crunch' is not only good texture that most people like, it is a low-cost filler since ingredients can get expensive.)

I even got the little square thin foil sheets, in pink!, via amazon.

great assist and pics via SeriousEats, HERE

5 years ago

We were posting at the same time.

I was using the search line at the top for 'gazpacho' a few days ago and it would not let me search in 'cooking', then later it would without a problem. Then a search for 'cheese straws' would not let me search in 'cooking'. Checking if a typo in the title would eventually come up since 'cheese straws' is in the postings copy....yes it was low down in the listings....

Still weird that forums do not help to correct typos in titles. Some can be embarrassing, : )

2MD, you are miles ahead of most of us at the early stage.

LondonBroil is a method, not necessarily a cut, but most markets just use that 'term'....whatever it is. I rarely purchased before SousVide. When on sale, it is the price of rice. As long as it does not become trendy. : )

Chicken wings are stupid expensive in NY. Never cared for them anyway. DH laughs because I always move my arm up and down...."why would anyone want to nibble tendons when you can go straight to the belly fat".

I grilled the first LondonB. quick sear. I just wanted to experiment on the low smoke heat for the other one. The cheese was in the HillBillyBox surrounded by ice. The LB was in the smoker.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, Thank you for clarifying about both the london broil and the smoking... I sure would like to hear after Sunday how that smoked one came out for you.

I just read the link/article on tempering chocolate with the sous vide. First, I'm blown away by this because I've tempered more chocolate on a double boiler than I can remember and that's a royal pain but it's worth it for my love of chocolate. Second, because I can't believe how easy that is, how accurate, and there's no babysitting. And you can re-seal it, no waste! How much I've wasted by going over temp, making chocolate messes!

I can hear a purist say, but you need to stir it over a double boiler, that's traditional. It's also not traditional to make risotto in an Instant Pot, but it's better, pretty much fool proof, and no babysitting. It's traditional to do a lot of things a lot of long, slow ways, but if there is a way for something to be improved, or easier and improved, I'll try it if at all possible. Thus, my interest in sous vide...

"I even got the little square thin foil sheets, in pink!, via amazon." Just looked those up, my gosh what I haven't done with chocolate! ... what I will be doing in the future!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

uhm, yeah, I've lacked up my fare shair of mispeled wrds in the serch barr. Nevr corects mispelins!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    5 years ago

Just chiming in. There are only 2 of us and I love my Anova!! I use it at least 4 times a week. I love Chicken, Salmon, Steaks and Pork Chops in it. I always sear in Cast Iron or on the grill. Tonight I am making Cowboy Steak which is a 2 inch bone in Rib Eye about 2.2 lbs. I heated the water to 129 degrees for the rare side of medium, and will sear it in cast iron. We'll enjoy it for dinner, and we can use the leftovers in salads or hubby's beef dip sandwiches. Here it is in the water bath. Oh, I seasoned with salt and pepper and walked outside for a little Oregano and Rosemary. All in the bag. I just use zip locks with the water displacement method to get the air out.

plllog thanked Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
  • plllog
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, thank-you for mentioning the chocolate! I've never heard of that but it's so obvious that any kind of temperature dependent work within the temperature range of the device can be done better with a precision circulator. Probably good for cheesemaking too. I've had good luck with candy making just on the low setting on induction, but I'm going to try to remember sous vide for the lower temperature stuff. Obviously sugar still needs the stove.

Re chicken wings, I agree, but according to the wing lovers I know, it's all about the proportion of exterior to interior that they like, and also the gnawing of the bones. They don't care so much for "boneless" (which look like "nuggets" to me) because of the lack of bone flavor and bone gnawing.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Wow Suzi, no matter where you live, I believe that'd be called a Texas size ribeye - just seeing it in the sous vide makes my mouth water!

I can't always find bone-in with skin chicken unless I buy whole. I don't know what's wrong with our grocery store butcher : (

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions Butchers aren't all the same, but here they call them Cowboy Steaks! Anyway, it was too big for my Cast Iron, so I seared it outside on the sear box (900 degrees) that is attached to my Camp Chef Pellet Smoker. Sorry it's sideways. It was delicious, and there is plenty left for Beef dip sandwiches.