SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Racking Up Sous Vide's Pros/Cons, Reprise

A few weeks ago I posted my sous vide cooked rack of lamb. I actually cooked two racks, One rack was to be a backup and was later frozen .

I finally took out the frozen rack, Fiddley fussed and sous vided it again at 135F. As the pictures show, the quality is just the same as the first time it was cooked. No overcooking of the meat even it was cooked up to the same piping hot serving temperature. This is another interesting application of the sous vide appliance; rejuvenating leftovers.

I am very excited to share with you the many interesting uses of this technique which is now finally made available for home use, not just for famous chefs or high-end restaurants. As I have said before, it does not automatically make you a better cook, and it cannot cook everything well. Don't use it to bake bread or deep fry pork chops. I find it amazing that there are those who seem morally against such an appliance and cooking pratice which have been proven for such a long time. It is just another appliance that cooks food at a very specific temperature, that is all there is to it.

So far, I am happy with what I have tried; all cuts of beef, pork, chicken, duck, clams, squid, scallops, lamb, ------. In short, anything you don't want to boil to death.

Depending on how low the temperature you set, there are important health considerations in sous vide cooking, but I don't think it is very complicated. Nothing really out of the ordinary practices of keeping clean and checking out proper temperatures for various meats.

I have found that there is no need to go to the extremes and still get wonderful results. For instance, I have no need to try cooking chicken at 130F. Chicken sous vided at 155F is tender and juicy enough for me, infinitely better than cooking it to 212 F,

In the link, which LindaC so kindly provided, it is interesting to know that in some ways, sous vide is a safer way of cooking because you are guaranteed the correct safe temperature, regardless of the thickness and start out temperature of the meat. It is always dicey in normal cooking when you stick the thermometer into the meat, that you are not actually injecting pathogens deeper inside the meat and that you are in fact measuring the part of the meat that has the lowest temperature, and that the timing of resting actually raised the temperature to safe range.

The biggest complain I have with sous vide is just that some times I do one for 48 hours or 70 hours, I would not be able to do anything else until that batch is done. Also, you need additional counter space for another piece of equipment. Still, I may go for a second system.

Dcarch

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz