SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Sous Vide Help?

plllog
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Having made my foray into poultry sous vide last week, I'm ready to start talking turkey. Specifically, I want to make turkey breast roulades for Seder, but I was thinking that sous vide might work better than the combi-steam oven, especially as I wouldn't have to obsess over timing. The problem is that I can't find a recipe close to what I want to cook and I don't have enough experience to wing it. I did get a practice piece of turkey, but hoped you all could help me figure out temperature, time and technique.

If I were doing it in the combi-steam, I'd the fillet lightly to flatten, fill with chopped pistachios and dates and a little matzah meal, roll and tie, then wrap, chill and set. Betimes, I'd paint the roll lightly with plum sauce, and put it on a bed of herbs, carrots, golf ball potatoes and prunes to make a tzimmis. Cook at 320° F, 100% moisture, for about an hour.

If I were doing it sous vide, I'd make the tzimmis vegetarian, and possibly ahead of time.

A) Any guesses for temperature and time for the sous vide?

B) Would I be able to decorate it with plum sauce and let it rest for five minutes, or would it need to be browned first? The chicken I did came out very white, and did brown up nicely, but the surface was "normal" enough that I think I could have just painted it. Would you find that unappealing? When I roast a whole turkey, I get gorgeous brown skin that comes off in the slicing, leaving white meat, so I don't think the company is expecting brown. There's the flavor, too, of course. I could put the turkey in the oven while the lamb is resting, if 10 minutes would brown it sufficiently. I'm not doing it in a pan for three roulades with all the rest to get out while directing many willing but clueless helpers.

C) Any other advice before I get started on my experiment?

Comments (10)