What did you cook today?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
How much snow did you get? What are you cooking?
Comments (81)Defrost - I wrote a long message this morning that seems to have gotten lost in the ether. There are a several roses that I've grown in the past or am growing now. Many of my current plants I started from cuttings, and you'd be welcome to come take cuttings if you would like. I have found them relatively easy to grow from cuttings even though I don't know much about it. Almost all my roses are relatively easy care, but the Japanese beetles bother all but the earliest. I recently read that water that has had cedar soaking in it will discourage the Japanese beetles when sprayed on susceptible plants, so I'll be trying that this summer since I have way too much field area to treat for grubs. - Rugosa Hansa (previous house along with one other Rugosa) - Lovely scent, easy care, but I didn't get good repeat. - Double white rugosa - Lovely scent, not good repeat, looks like wet tissue if it rains but gorgeous if it doesn't get wet. One of two current roses from Uncanoonuc, and it is grafted. I fight the understock to keep it from taking over. - Apothecary rose - striped red and white shrub with strong rose scent. I fight the understock (multiflora I think) which has come up 8' away from the plant. Early bloomer no repeat. Uncanoonuc. - Autumn Sunset - Gold Climber, good repeat, light scent. Another Uncanoonuc rose, also grafted, and after about 3 years didn't come back after one winter, though I don't know if it was due to voles or it was too cold. I would grow again if it were on its own roots. - Fairy rose - previous house - no scent, repeat (almost constant) bloom, easy care. - Dr. Huey - Dark red climber from understock. Not much repeat. - John Davis - light scent, medium pink, one of the Canadian Explorer roses, shorter climber. Long bloom with lighter repeats continuing. - Lady Elsie Banks - medium pink shrub, no scent that I notice. Repeats well. - New Dawn (probably) AKA George's rose since it came as a cutting from my now-gone neighbor George. Vigorous climber, very pale pink very double flowers, little if any scent (can't get close enough to smell) and wicked thorns that require that it be planted away from paths. - An unknown pink shrub rose that was here at the house when we arrived. Lovely scent, no repeat bloom. Cleanest foliage of any rose I grow, and the foliage has a light scent. Although IME own root roses don't take off quite as soon as grafted roses, in the long run, I prefer them as I don't have issues with the root stock and all my own root roses have always come back. I don't do any extra winterizing. I don't know if Uncanoonuc has any roses that are own root. I added Zepherine Drouin (pink climber) and Westerland (orange mix) this past summer and haven't yet any feedback on them. This winter will test them, but they are both own root, so I have faith that they will come through....See Morewhat did you eat or cook during??
Comments (45)Tonight I put the pizza stone in the grill and baked Salmon with doctored up Costco Pesto sauce on top in an old deep dish pizza pan. Husband said it was the best I have ever made. It was served with Costco prepared couscous with an extra squeeze of half a lemon. Lunch was Costco prepared brushetta over Costco sliced demi baguettes, a little Costco crab dip and array of fresh fruit. Tomorrow will be leftovers from all the above. I think I will be shopping at Costco a lot during remodel and will cook up the large quantities of chicken breast packs on the grill, putting in zip locks and freezing. I will have lots of fresh veggies on hand as well as instant rice. Now that I know I can use my outside grill as an oven with the pizza stone in there I dont feel IÂll really be that limited and will even give casseroles a try using the already cooked chicken. I never had much counter space anyway so maybe this wonÂt be so bad....See MoreTest cooking in showroom - What did you do?
Comments (13)Ooooh, how fun. Probably depends mostly on how you plan to cook in real life ... if you stir-fry then test that for sure. I'm not a high heat cooker so wouldn't stir-fry myself, but I'd definitely try an multi-egg omelette in a large pan, and I'd try something like a cranberry sauce in a medium saucepan to test simmer. Melting chocolate is a good test too but it's something you tend to watch it quite closely while doing it. Trying something like bringing a quick cranberry sauce to boil and then leaving it almost untended at simmer for 10 minutes while you make your next dish would be my perfect "real-life" test. I would do both tests if I could. For the oven, I like the tray of cookies suggestion above. It will give you a good sense for how even the oven cooks. Carmelizing cauliflower might take a few tries at different settings to get it "perfect", so not sure I'd make a decision on the results of that alone. Personally I think almost every oven is capable of an amazing carmelized cauliflower, but finding the perfect settings for it is a bit trial-and-error from my experience. I do carmelized cauliflower (and broccoli and onions) almost every night for dinner so have it down to a science with our range. Our previous range was best with standard bake (not convection) at 425, and our current oven is best at convection bake at 400... I tried standard bake and convection roast at various temps with our new range before setting on 400/conv bake as being the best. Okay, well sorry for being so long-winded. I just think it's such a cool opportunity so am going to live vicariously through you in this. :-) Whatever you end up cooking, be sure and come back to post your experience. How very fun!...See MoreWhat did you (or will you) have for your favorite meal today?
Comments (13)Ancient grain oatmeal from Trader Joe's was my best meal so far. I woke up late today, in the afternoon. Now I'm eating lunch: Sonic jr. cheeseburger, which isn't great. I have some chicken thighs thawing in the fridge and bought some green beans and new red potatoes yesterday at a farmer's market when me and my daughter were running all over town. I mainly went for their peaches, which are usually wonderful, this time they weren't quite ripe. Didn't feel like thawing the chicken in the microwave and cooking the veggies. But am thinking of tossing this awful burger and just eating a peach. Anyway, going to make some of the green beans later with potatoes and onions. Will eat a little for a late night dinner tonight. Tomorrow I'll bake the chicken to go with the rest....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNToday’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Classic Eichler Updated for Today’s Needs
A designer helps a couple honor their midcentury home’s design while creating a kitchen that works for their lifestyle
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThe Cooking Hearth Never Looked So Good
Today's Range Hoods Have High Style to Match Their Function
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Elements of Today's State-of-the-Art Kitchens
New technology, smart kitchen layouts and the hottest new appliances will make you feel like a Top Chef
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Did Your Dad Teach You About Making a Home?
Fathers share skills and wisdom with their kids. What did you learn from yours?
Full Story
LIFEInviting Kids Into the Kitchen: Suggestions for Nurturing Cooks
Imagine a day when your child whips up dinner instead of complaining about it. You can make it happen with this wisdom
Full Story
HOME TECHCook Smarter With New Wi-Fi Kitchen Gadgets
Whip up meals with high-tech help, thanks to a phone-connected oven and teakettle, plus a web-surfing cutting board
Full Story
DECLUTTERING10 Types of Clutter to Toss Today
Clear the decks and give the heave-ho to these unneeded items
Full Story
MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story
socks