SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lookiluus

Need Help with Kitchen Floor Tile

I'm Nicety
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a small, galley-like kitchen (c. 100 sqft). It has 1 small window, a windowed backdoor, and doesn’t get much light until late in the day. So I want the kitchen to feel as big and light as possible. I decided to look for a warm light to medium-colored tile that was not a boring beige or white that had variation. After some searching, I ended up finding Daltile’s Ayers Rock color Golden Ground thanks to the Home Depot site. Went to the official Daltile studio, received a sample, and tried it on my floor. I thought I made my choice.

I decided to try a box of the HD version since it’s $2 per sqft less than the Studio’s version. Didn’t care for it, so I’m sending the HD tile back. But I’m also not “feeling” the initial choice any longer. Can anyone help? I’m open to other brands if it’s thought they’re better.

Thank you!

What I saw in a HD review:

The sample I got (9:45a, rain):

Tried it on this floor (3:30p, sunny):

HD tile and Sample together on new subfloor:

Overcast 5:30p w/ recessed lighting on

Overcast 5:30p w/ recessed lighting off

Sunny, 2:45p, natural light only

See? They look more gray and dreary than I expected. They're not looking anything like this :o(

And yes, those will remain the cabinets and the stove for the time being. I plan on changing them out (particularly the cabinets) down the road, so the tile will be laid underneath them.

Comments (7)