SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly999

Need Help with Kitchen Plank Tile Flooring Installation Issue

Kimberly
8 years ago

I have an issue that I hope you can give me some insight to. We are installing 6 inch x 36 inch plank tiles and realized that our walls in the hallway and kitchen where we are installing the tiles are not entirely straight. One side bows out at the end of the hallway, while the other side narrows in the hallway. We are running the tiles vertically down the hallway and are doing 1/8" grout spacing. My husband said the wall is off (gradually goes out) by 1 1/2 inches, so he had to cut all the tiles angled that ran against that wall, which looks fine to me because the grout lines are all even. But on the other side of the hallway where the wall narrows is where we now have an issue with the tile that continues and flows through the doorway into the kitchen. After continuing to keep the 1/8 inch grout lines straight as possible, he dry laid the first row of tiles for fit across the room and to the kitchen doorway that meets the hallway. Everything looked good. He started laying tile from the hall across the front of the kitchen then had to work his way back to the hallway, to avoid working into a corner because of an attached island that sticks out midway on the left kitchen wall. He noticed another variance, that started in the middle of the 3rd row, the same wall that narrowed in the hallway, now bows by 1/2 inch or more where the door frame ends. There is about 8 inches of wall after the door frame then there are kitchen cabinets. If he had laid the tiles straight and kept the 1/8 inch grout lines there would of been an angled gap of over 3/4 inch at the doorway. So he fanned the tiles, to meet the doorway tiles, (about 5 of them) but then the grout lines graduated out to over a 1/4 inch. He thought he could easily correct the variance in the next row where the tiles area narrows between the cabinetry but as he dry laid them for fit, he sees he will have trouble correcting the grout line spacing because of the staggered offset pattern and the long length of the tiles. He stopped laying the tiles at this point and we are looking for advice on how we should proceed.

Comments (6)