SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tina_ma_gw

Help, please! Subway tile installation issues

tina_ma
12 years ago

The tile has been installed and grouted in my tub/shower alcove. I chose DalTile Rittenhouse Square; they are beautifully made and appear to be extremely uniform in shape and size. This was a total gut; the tile guy put up new Hardiebacker and sealed it prior to installation. With the light of day, I can tell that there are several random tiles that are not flat to the rest of the field. Is this within the realm of normal? I'd think that given a fresh surface that the tiles could have all been installed flat. In addition, there's a lot of grout between them - up to 3/16" in some cases (the recommended gout joint is 1/16"). My GC tells me that it is because the tiler didn't do a good job buffing out the final steps and that once buffing is complete there will be less grout and the groutlines will be 1/16". In the laying process, I took a picture one evening and there were spacers between some of the tiles near one of the interior corners. Why would this be? What should I know about this, and what can/should be done? Thanks again!!! (PS - the niche is lovely)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath