SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose1614

granite installation issues - please help

Rose1614
11 years ago

Hello! My uba tuba granite was installed on Friday. There were a few issues: the seam near the sink was noticeable from a distance (probably at least 3/16" wide), there are gaps behind sink between 3/16" and 5/16", they left a glob of cement on the side of a cabinet which when removed took of an area of my cabinet finish (can be fixed with the touch up paint, but this seems sloppy), sink cutout was lopsided by 3/8" (noticeable to me, not to others) and the island was not exactly what I ordered (it was off by 1/2" and I realize now that this issue was minor compared to the others.) The installer returned yesterday to look at the issues. My GC said if they could fix the seam, he could deal with the gap. They did something with the seam so it looked much better. Not sure what he did, but it is less noticeable now (our plumber even said it looked better). But now, the area around the seam is a bit duller than the rest of the counter. So the installer came out again today and apparently polished it with a wax (this is what they told my GC - I'm not home... trying to work with all this going on!) GC said when he wiped it down, the surface is not as shiny. I'm concerned they're trying to put a bandaid on the issue and that it will look awful in a week. Is it appropriate to put a wax on the granite to make it shiny, and if so, will it last? This area is right by the sink, so I'm concerned that I will be wiping it down a lot and the shine will go away. The installer also told my GC that the uba tuba needs to be sealed, but everything I read on the web says that uba tuba doesn't need to be sealed. BTW, I put a stop payment on my check that was the final payment, and won't pay them until they've fixed the issues. Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)