SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Question about installing tile wood look plank on kitchen floor

scrappy25
9 years ago

Hi, posting here because of all the problems I have read about lipping on tile in kitchens.

I have decided to use the Montagna wood look tile from Home Depot for my kitchen floor since the color is almost a perfect match for my current hardwood. I also have samples from 3 other different stores including tile specialty stores but they do not quite match. The Montagna planks are 6" x 24" and one review on the 6 pages of reviews suggested using a medium set mortar because of the slight bowing of the tiles. No one else mentioned this problem.

So my question is,
1. do I need to ask my contractor to make sure that the tile installers use a leveling system or a self leveling concrete before installing the tile? He will be taking up the subfloor to run new electrical.
2. Once the new subfloor goes down, what layers need to be on top of that to be sure that there is no lipping?
3. Should I ask for medium set instead of thinset?
4. What is needed under a tile floor to ensure that water does not pass into the ceiling below if we have a dishwasher or an icemaker flood in the kitchen? (both of those have happened to us in the past but we currently have sheet vinyl flooring which is continuous so no gaps).
5. We are planning to use the same tile in our planned sunroom which is a 3 season room. Would the same layers be used in that room as in the kitchen.? No need for waterproofing there since it has a crawl space under it.

thanks in advance! Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Montagna gunstock wood look tile

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 23:01

Comments (5)