SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kehrhardt123

Wood Plank Tile - Bad Install

kehrhardt123
10 years ago

Hi there,

I'm working on a 430 square foot sun room renovation. We're at the point of doing the floors and we chose wood plank tile from a reputable flooring store. I basically hired a criminal to install my floors - literally..

They are about 75 % done with the floors when i had some concerns about some of the height differences. We agreed on 3/32nd spacers - not the smallest - not the biggest. I came home to see some tiles just touching each other - no spacers at all. He said "oh yeah, we didnt have any". I dont see any spacers at all being used - then some very fine grout lines. it is very inconsistent. Some have ridges where it catches your feet and very noticeable to the eye. the reason we wanted a larger grout line was to hide the lippage that i hear is pretty common to these type of wood plank tiles. It is directly on the slab which is relatively flat although i asked him about that and said ti was fine (probably just less work for him). from afar, it doesn't look terrible but definitely isnt professional.

Anyways, i had some concerns about the floor before they continued to finish it and before grouting it. I started googling him more - needless to say, i think i should of done better research. Turns out this guy got arrested 3 times in the last 3 months dui, reckless driving, and assault and just feel its best to not let him back in my house. I basically paid him for what he has done so far and told him we're going to go in a different direction. Expensive lesson to learn, I used contractors that i know personally for everything else, electrical, drywall, windows. why i decided to wing it on a flooring guy is beyond me,

my question is - is it possible to salvage the tiles, lift up, clean and reuse? i would like to stick to my original grout line plan. Or should i try to have someone repair the bad high spots and live with it? or should i start from scratch? I dont think i'm going to care about a few thousand bucks years from now even though it hurts now. don't mind losing out on the labor from the 1st guy - i think its better to just pay him and move on to avoid any issues as this guy who appears to be a loose cannon from his arrest record.

thoughts?

Comments (4)