SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitney_sellers

My floor plan design needs help! Design meeting tomorrow!

Whitney S
5 years ago

My husband and I are going into our third design meeting for our floor plan and we seem to have taken a step backwards. We are trying to keep our total square footage under 3700 sq. ft. We initially wanted 2 kids rooms sharing the jack and jill bathroom, flex room, powder bath and study on the left side of the house, and guest room (and bathroom that also allows hall access), master, kitchen, laundry and formal dining on the right side. After our first meeting we ended up being close to our 3700 sq. ft. target, but also with a 30 foot long hallway on the right side of the house that we wanted to eliminate, so we moved the guest room to the left side of the house to the kids wing. These revisions have pushed us up to around 3900 sq. ft. and we see a lot of wasted space that needs to be addressed. We wanted to have a bigger opening to the dining room, and in order to do so, the entry way was extended but now we think it is too long and looks funny. We would love to have separate master closets, with a door that is shared to the laundry room from a common area of the bathroom. The garage started out as a connected three car, but transitioned into this split car design to help eliminate part of the long hallway. Now we are thinking the connected 3 car is better, but will require some adjusting. Please help! We know this has a ways to go.

Comments (56)