SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicgeek_gw

Need advice on follow-up meeting with designer

chicgeek
12 years ago

Hi. I've been gaining valuable insight for the past few months from looking at this website. This is my first posting and I'll try to make it brief.

6 months ago we started exploring remodeling our kitchen and incorporating our rarely used dining room into our kitchen space. We live in a traditional 40 yr old 2-story 2000 sq. ft. colonial. Currently the kitchen and family room span the entire back of our first floor, separated by a bank of cabinets and the dining room is separated from the kitchen by a wall with only a 30 inch doorway opening. We'd like these rooms to have more of a "flow". We'd like to get rid of the cabinets between the kitchen and family room and open the wall between the dining room and kitchen, which is load bearing. Our entry from the garage comes into the kitchen and we also have a basement stairway and front hallway that enter into the kitchen. So, there is alot of traffic always flowing through the kitchen.

We have had 4 designers and 1 contractor/ customer cabinet maker (who works on his own) evaluate our space. 2 came up with a U-shaped kitchen design, one was stumped and had no design (seriously-when we came to our follow-up meeting 3 weeks after the designed came to our home we were greeted with "this might be a short meeting...").

The last designer came up with a great plan that we really liked. We met about 3 weeks after they came through, but then it took 2 months to get a price from them (and even that wasn't complete). When we got the price it was shocking-nearly $30,000 more than the highest one which was $45,000.

So, my questions: Is this "normal" to have such delays, price variances, and disappointments in design? We are supposed to meet again with the designer who's plan we liked but was so late and expensive and we're a little discouraged, disappointed, and "miffed" that it's taken so long and is so high. We don't really know how to go about addressing our disillusionment with the price and timeliness. We've never remodeled before we're not sure if this is just normal for working with designers and contractors. We had hoped that the project would be completed by this fall, but at this rate it doesn't look to hopeful.

Guess this wasn't so brief...we'd value any input you have. Thanks for allowing me to contribute.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH