SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlnick_gw

Floor & Cabinet Design Plan - Need Help!

jlnick
11 years ago

We are in the process of building a new house and have our appointment tomorrow to choose design options. I keep going back and forth over it, and desperately need some help (and my husband is not providing much LOL). I'd love to hear everyone's input.

Originally I wanted to do dark wood floors. I went back and forth on this, reading everyone's advice and worrying a bit about the upkeep. But since the wood I had chosen was low luster, I decided to go ahead since I really like the look.

However, we also really want dark cabinets. We've chosen an espresso color cabinet, and will go with a lighter gray granite countertop. We're going to wait on a backsplash until we see the space put together. I didn't want to do dark cabs and dark floors together, as I prefer more contrast. So I thought we'd do tile in the kitchen/breakfast/morning/mud and wood in the family/foyer/living/dining. I chose a gray tile, figuring that would contrast with the dark cabs while picking up the color of the counter. I also want light gray walls, so I thought it would all flow.

But now, I don't think I like the dark chocolate wood floor next to the gray tile. I think it would work if the floor plan was less open and the kitchen more squared off, but with such a large transition area I really don't think it's going to flow well. Plus, I think the tile I was looking at is too dark gray, and prefer a lighter look against the cabinets. BUT if it's too light I think again the transition will look strange going from very dark to very light.

I'm not sure what to do. At first I wanted to do hardwood throughout the first floor, but changed my mind when I decided on dark hard wood. I considered white cabinets but we really prefer the dark ones, and to be honest I'd be a little worried about doing dark hardwood through the whole floor as it's a LOT of floor so if the upkeep is bad like some people say, that'd be almost twice as much to deal with. I thought half the floor in dark wood was a decent compromise (until I started thinking it won't flow right against the tile).

I could go for a lighter wood and do it throughout. But most of the lighter woods I see are warmer tones and I wanted a gray neutrals and chocolate design scheme through the first floor, with some accent color (probably blue). So I'm not sure a honey toned floor would look right. We have light shiny wood now and I'm SICK of it! I wanted something different, and it looks very orangey to me. I want to stay away from orange and red toned wood, and shiny finishes as I'm ready for a change. I'm thinking maybe a mid-toned cooler toned wood would look best - does such a thing even exist? I am really drawn to gray neutrals and want some shade of light gray for our walls, so I'd like a wood that will complement it. Family room furniture will be chocolate leather chairs we already have, plus new sofas that I was planning on getting in a lighter gray.

So, I am lost. I am open to all opinions and ideas. Thanks so much for reading. Sorry for the long, rambling message. I have been losing sleep over this decision as I don't want to mess it up since we'll have to live with it a LONG time.

Comments (8)