SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nj_mom

Wood-on-wood dilemma

NJ Mom
5 years ago

We haven't quite picked out our cabinets yet, since my husband and I are both weirdly picky about the exact tone of the stain color. I prefer the brown/grey end of the spectrum, while he likes more of the reddish tones. So everything we end up compromising on is a medium brown with slight gold undertones. And since our floors are a natural red oak, he's worried that there will not be much of a contrast between the floors and the cabinets. He also doesn't like the "grain" on the maple cabinets, he says it's very "noisy" (whatever that means). He prefers cherry, which is too red and dark for me.

Could we stain the floors darker? Or will the fact that oak has a strong grain and maple has very little grain provide enough of the "contrast" that he's looking for? If we stain the floors, I want to stay away from the greys -- and he doesn't like brown.

Yes, I realize this all sounds very nitpicky. I don't think I could live with a red kitchen, but I also don't think staining the floors is the solution either. (Maybe it is? Darker floors would show less of the grain, right?)

Oh, I'm so confused!

Comments (7)