SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlg_106

Advice for protecting house during hardwood floor sanding/staining?

Jen B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm looking for practical tips on making the process less stressful. We just went through a horrible kitchen reno with several delays and mistakes made by contractors, we're so sick of the dust and mess and I'm pregnant and have a 2.5 year old too. We'll be staying elsewhere during the week that the hardwoods are being sanded/stained but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for protecting belongings, etc. or things I should check on.

We're putting valuables and fragile items away, the workers are moving the furniture, and they said they will cover the new cabinets and turn off/cover HVAC etc. But should I tape the shoe molding so they don't scratch it? Should I cover the cabinets myself with plastic so they don't get dust, stain etc on my brand new (white) cabinetry? Should I use painters tape to seal the cabinets so no dust gets inside? I'm so paranoid after being screwed by several of the kitchen contractors, I don't trust anyone to be meticulous. I've worked with this company before and they were good, but yesterday during some repair work, they got glue on my new cabinets and also left sawdust in several areas of my floors...so I'm just trying to be proactive given that they'll be here a whole week. Thanks for any tips you can provide on keeping my stuff and my house safe during this process.

Comments (34)