SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheem9111

What Kind of Pantry Door for Narrow Kitchen?

M S
5 years ago

Hi All! We are remodeling our kitchen to take it from a closed off, galley style to one that opens to the living room and has a "peninsula" countertop.

The washer-dryer used to be in the kitchen behind an accordion-style closet door (see photo), but we are building a new laundry room elsewhere and want to convert the washer-dryer closet to be our pantry.

I'm having some trouble determining what to do for the pantry door. I feel like the accordion style is dated and flimsy, but the kitchen is really narrow to have a swinging door. I like sliding barn doors, but I'm not sure how that could work given the stairs from the entry down into the kitchen...

It bears mention that the white louvered closet door shown in the first photo to the side of the washer-dryer closet is another empty pantry space--NOT a water heater. However, you can see that we have three steps going down into the kitchen from the entry hall, so I'm not sure there is a way to convert both of these to having a sliding barn door that would look okay, given the stairs...

I also included renderings of our remodel and highlighted the pantry area in the second one.

Any suggestions?!

Comments (4)