SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Microwave in narrow Pantry: Thoughts? Pics?

pbrisjar
14 years ago

So, my plan since way before we began our remodel was to get a Whirlpool Velos or similar OTR microwave*. Our kitchen is tiny so the fact that it wouldn't be taking up counter space, combined with all its advanced features sold me on the concept. But ever since I started seeing people on this forum placing their micros in pantries and in little boxes I've been wondering if maybe we should do that. Then yesterday at Costco I saw a neat little compact microwave that I think would work for that. It was cheap, too.

The pantry is not yet built so we can configure it pretty much however we want within the general space limitations. This will be a basic, narrow wall pantry. It needs to be as shallow as possible as we'll be "stealing" space from another room (besides, I seriously dislike deep pantries).

I really don't want to lose the functionality that would come with the Velos. Our current (new) oven is a fairly basic convection oven (Kenmore Elite induction range). I wasn't too concerned about that as I "knew" we were getting the Velos.

This issue has actually become a bit more urgent as I think our current microwave just died.

*I know all the basic arguments against OTR microwaves and for the most part, they don't apply to us. Hubby doesn't cook at all (not even heating things up in the micro) and we do not and will never have kids.

Comments (12)