SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neely_gw

What's for Dinner - #360

neely
5 years ago

I made the Goats Cheese Crumble as mentioned by a forum member in another thread, for a lunch with salad.

Later we finished it off as a side to our steak and fries dinner.

Comments (101)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Last night was a giant frittata loaded with veg, (anything in the crisper)

Leftovers this morning. ...I need a muffin pan. I'm thinking the one on the right, the round one.

Should be multi-purpose. I really should make-ahead and freeze some mini frittatas and corn bread. Handy for the summer weekends and work week.

• User
    5 years ago

The one on the right seems rather shallow. More for biscuits than muffins. I like the shape. but I like the depth of the one in the middle.

• Related Discussions

What;s for dinner Monday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Glenda, that's a lot of food, but with all 12 bringing a dish it doesn't take long to fill up a buffet. I'm surprised there were no desserts! Raven, everything sounds delicious. We ended up having sliced avocados last night because the mangoes weren't quite ready. Way to go, Jasdip. You're making space in the frig for more of your good cooking! Shirley, I looked for green beans in the grocery today and they were awful looking. I wanted green beans and red potatoes so bad!! Yep, I think we all love our leftovers and most of the time I think they taste better on day 2 (or 3).
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #363

Q

Comments (103)
    So many great looking meals! Ann_t, how on earth you can’t love your salads I don’t know! They always look delicious. How wonderful to have so many lovely tomatoes. I get you aren’t a salad eater, but… my goodness! Petalique, I was hoping someone would post a pizza – I’m so hungry for pizza. Your tomato and zucchini looks incredibly tasty – don’t you love how great those ‘whatever we’ve got’ pizzas always come out?! Always a pleasant surprise! Artemis_ma, you never fail to surprise me; I’d never have thought to stuff a pepper with potatoes, let alone Indian spices – sounds and looks so good. I need to be more adventurous : ) Jasdip, your pasta and tomato meal looks the best to me and has my mouth watering : ) Something about that combination just tastes so good. I’ve not made that this summer… yet! I like that you used asparagus. Your pot roast is making me pretty hungry too – we love a good well-done, melt in your mouth roast. Only thing I don’t like is how the onions always melt down to nothing and I find myself searching for more in the DO! Neely, I don’t even know where to start – that steak sandwich looks delish, your soup/stew is wonderful (you always have such nice chunky veg!). I know what you mean about sometimes just needing vegetables! But you do know what caught my attention! Your fromage frais with the poached egg on toast! Looks marvelous! Nancyofnc, I do that too! (put labels on food for parties). Your tea sandwiches turned out so pretty – and I can almost taste the marmalade/ricotta! Those tomato ‘bugs’ are adorable and I bet they were a hit too! ETA: Sleevendog, for some reason your posts never show up for a while for me! Wanted to say that tomato pic... oh my gosh. That's all I can say! Speechless! Also, thanks for the help with sous vide - that black and blue steak salad below took me zero time to put together because the steak was already done except for searing - following your example : ) Thursday I wanted to grill, so gorgonzola burgers 3-bean bake, and grilled corn. That’s not a lettuce tree growing out of the burger, just an odd camera angle! Friday was busy, so poofed ribs – Ann_T’s recipe – so good! Made more Tunnel Bar-b-que sauce but didn’t thin it as much with Stubb’s and found it was more to our liking with that kick. Made DH some country baby kale (you know, cooked to death with bacon, vinegar, chicken stock). Saturday I needed veg, so black and blue salad hit the spot for both of us. Yes, that’s my plate. Yes, I eat that much : ) Sunday we had Mesquite Salmon with herbed mayo/mustard seed sauce, roasted cherry tomatoes (from my neighbor’s garden) with shallots and basil, and rice.
    ...See More

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More
    5 years ago

Yup, it has been a tough choice. The middle one is tiny. Depth is good for pop-overs but I doubt I'll make them more than once twice a year. The left one is 'muffin tops' depth. Shallow dutch babies, mini corn breads, frittatas, might fit the right one....

I just don't think one style is multi-purpose as I was hoping...

• shirl36
    5 years ago

I have a new induction heat single burner, I think I will really like once I get the learning curve down. Also at same time bought a Lodge cast iron skillet to use on it. I have a couple of my Mothers 1920’s skillet in garage loft but it was easier to order new rather than go and find them (will later). It has been many years since I cooked with CI ( I do use a CI Dutch oven for baking bread often).

Yesterdays lunch was a skillet of good ole fried potatoes. I’m sure it has been 10 yrs since I last fried potatoes, far from healthy eating but they sure were good. Will not be a habit.

i think I was disappointed the burner only heats on the inside ring, and for larger skillets it is heating only in very middle. But I also remember Dcarch mentioning this in a post just recently, disappointed as I was, not completely surprised. But as a Good Ole Marine does, they “improvise, overcome, or adapt”. I’m adapting.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Sleeve, I see, that middle one is 1.5" deep whereas a regular size muffin tin would be 2.5" deep. The far right is 1" deep - more for drop biscuits or scones - but muffin-top muffins would work.

Like you, I have a hard time hitting the buy button until I'm positive! Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth: 2 of us, don't eat that many muffins. My go-to muffin pan (regular sized muffins) makes only 6, which is enough. More than enough sometimes - I hate tossing out stale muffins because we couldn't eat them all. I don't make that many muffins these days. I think if you're not a big muffin eater (great, now I've got that stupid song rolling around in my head! Do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man... ) you might just be happy with the one on the far right only. It'd make smaller (shorter) muffins, perhaps just enough.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you later want to try a standard muffin tin, pick up a cheapy and see if it works for you, perhaps for lighter, less dense more cake-like muffin. Those are the type I prefer (less filling), but I don't know what type muffins you like. That far right looks like it'd also be nice for cornbread and scones :)

Oh for crying out loud. Now I want one.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

2Many. Betty Crocker has a microwave Blueberry Muffin in a mug. A 4 pk for 3 bucks and comes with a glaze packet. LOL. Think it might have been created for you while your in the process of your remodel. It should at least satisify, temporarily your wanting the muffin man...oops a muffin.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you mamapinky0! That's so thoughtful of you, really : ) Always looking for something easy and fast for these harder days when I seem to never not be tired, and microwavable makes it just right. Putting that on the grocery list for today!

...but you coulda left out the muffin man part because I'd just gotten it out of my head! Now it's back : D

• User
    5 years ago

Last night's dinner.

Spicy Pork Tenderloin stir fry with Bok Choy.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

What was that other thread that we talked about "egg muffins"? Hmmm, need to look. Sleevendog, perfect frittata! Not only pretty easy, but cleaned out the crisper too -- win/win! Just wanted to mention, I make "egg muffins" in just a regular muffin tin ~ with about 1/4 cup of egg and then add all the accoutrements. Freeze extremely well and are very well received by the crew (plus, they've been known to add additional accoutrements such as hot sauce, salsa etc. when eating)

Shirl36 -- May I learn vicariously:)? I keep putting an induction burner on my to-do, and then start to read all the "do this, not that, this works, not this one, etc." and I get overwhelmed. Those potatoes are a pretty nice rec for your test run! I hope you'll continue to experiment and show your results!

Just waving at 2Many HA!

Aw, ann_t! Wow, does that look perfect. So, I have to ask because I'm a neb -- what kind of pepper (just so I can kind of gauge maybe how spicy, because I'm a bit of wimp, baby, wuss:)

Can this count? Son helping friend move, driving a truck from Pittsburgh to Texas. I have to let go that none of these guys (three guys moving one girl) have ever driven a moving truck. It's kind of positive that they must have made it out of the very narrow, on-street parking, city street this morning.

So, because I'm a mom and basically will just be looking at my phone all day/night, this is what we're having, or should I say DH is having; I am on the mom/worry -weight loss program. I'm just noshing all day. I thought I'd put it on a nice plate so I don't get banned:)

CathyinSWPA

• laslaslas14
    5 years ago

Tonight sweet and hot sausages, rutabaga (the other half, left after "buttery vegetables" - see above), mashed with butter and a tiny bit of lemon juice and 2017 collards with molasses, liquid smoke tabasco and bits of bacon.

• neely
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lots of soups.. Cathy has yummy pea soup, Zuppa Toscana from 2many and rhubarb lentil from Sleevendog Also must try a tomato sauce less pizza like Sleevendogs'.

laslaslas14 dinner sounds delicious.

Cathy laughed at your put it on a nice plate comment.

So many good looking things to eat AnnT but especially the spicey tenderloin with stir fry veg... definitely right out of our kitchen

Shirl great to be trying new cooking appliances

If I've missed someone's cooking endeavours, I didn't mean to. Quite a lot to catch up which is marvellous. Also everyone's bread and baking efforts look great.

OK another soup

Chestnut soup again, this time from dried chestnuts. Good but not as good as fresh but then again about 80% less work.

We had slow cooked lamb shanks

with mashed potato and fresh green beans... a small pinch of cinnamon in the tomato based sauce.

And finally a pork chop with a pasta, zucchini

and broccoli dish as a side with a creamy cheesy sauce.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Don't know how this happened (houzz, I'm looking at you) but I missed some posts.

2Many -- I'm laughing at "mumble typing"HA! I would dive right into that bowl (white balance be darned) with any kind of cracker. Zuppa toscana is a big time hit here. In fact, there I don't know what gives people more joy --whooping out ZUPPA! (can you hear it?) or the soup. Did you IP that? You know, there are some good recipes for that one;)

ann_t -- can I whisper "I'm not really a fish fan" (older brother, cleaning fishing together, you can imagine) BUT I would def go for that halibut. Yep. Convert! Aw, and yes to Hello Dolly, Magic Squares or we call them 7-layer bars:) I'd eat those with a side of your bagels. Not kidding.

sleevendog -- I want that sweetozark orange. Wow -- love it.

laslaslas14 -- Sausages? Hmmmm, we haven't had those in a while. Good idea, and your dinner sounds great.

Neely -- I'm laughing when you commented on my presentation HA! your one of the beautiful plate club members on this thread, and I actually was thinking of you:) Creamy cheese sauce -- with pasta, zucchini and broccoli -- love it! BTW, true confession, I have absolutely no idea what chestnuts taste like. You've inspired me to look into that. It looks beautifully plated too:)

CathyinSWPA

• User
    5 years ago

Cathyinpa, you don't have to whisper. I'm not a fish fan either. Except for halibut. It is the only fish that I actually like. Oh and Dover Sole in a good restaurant. And I like smoked salmon , (Lox). Not the other smoked salmon that is common here. Other than that, I don't want fish. I don't even care for shrimp. I will eat local spot prawns though.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Oh geez, I'm away from this thread for a couple of days and I'll NEVER catch up, it's just singing right along!

AnnT, I love halibut, but those bagels. (sigh) I'm with Moe, that's breakfast!

Cathy, thanks for that potato picture, now I want some. Oh, and that's a really pretty plate, that blue one. I'm laughing, but really, it IS pretty. Now, relax, take a deep breath. They'll be fine, it's not as hard to drive a truck as it seems. Really.

Shirl, can I have some of your potatoes too? Fried potatoes to go with Cathy's mashed potatoes? (grin) I really like potatoes and we seldom eat them now, and I miss them. A lot.

Neely, Elery would LOVE those lamb shanks. I'd love the mashed potatoes....

Laslas, rutabaga is one of my favorite vegetables, and the molasses with collards? I really have to try that, Elery and I both love greens.

Sleevendog, I also don't think 1 inch is deep enough for a muffin pan, I'd get a deeper one. I have several, but I have them because I use them for cupcakes, all those birthday cupcake towers...

Your food looks delicious, but that tomato, oh my. Jubilee was my big winner last year, and I canned some tomato soup. Neon orange, LOL, causes people to hesitate a minute!

Here it's been kind of crazy, and Elery wanted to "spoil" me a little, knowing I've been worried about Ashley. So, he grilled steaks. Perfectly done for my tastes, with a side of broccoli.

It was very good, and so I made a steak salad out of the leftovers the next night, served alongside a frittata made with mushrooms, onions, sweet peppers, a hand full of spring mix/greens and some fresh chives from the herb garden:

Last night I marinated some venison chops, made Elery's favorite "pot of beans" out of last year's October beans in the freezer and roasted the last picking of asparagus from the asparagus patch.

This morning Elery left for Tennessee, his Aunt Etta died and he needed to go to the funeral. I couldn't go although I wished I could, I have to stay with old Sadie and run the farm. (sigh) So, Elery will be back Tuesday evening and I probably won't cook a single meal until he's back.

Ashley is back home, her next surgery is scheduled for the 30th of July, so keep thinking those good thoughts, this next one is the "big" one. A renal bypass, the main artery/ blood supply to the kidney is removed and a different artery attached, some smaller veins embolized, and hopefully this will resolve some of her problems. After that, no one is sure what the next step is, but this is a big one.

Annie

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Annie my best to your daughter. Is a Interventional radiologist doing the embolisation?

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

I love this thread.

ann_t -- yeah! whew, so glad to know I'm not alone:) And you're making me smile about the shrimp too:) Out of all the fish I've tried, and it's been limited I admit (flounder, bass, trout) halibut is the one that I'll give a whirl. And yours? Parmesan Crusted? And it looks cooked and actually flaked? And I'd snitch of those tomatoes from your pizza on the side? Oh my, I'm all in for that. We're going to a seafood place for my parent's 65th wedding anniversary, crossing my fingers that their halibut is like yours.

One last thing -- I missed your 6/3 post. Wow, does that chicken look perfect. And the toasted sandwiches WITH potato wedges? This is the food that I love. And can I just tell you, I love sandwiches cut in triangles LOL! IDK, I just do. And yep to the regular oven method for the potato gratin, but I keep thinking that this method has potential -- just to need to figure out what it is.

Here's the dish (kind of ho-hum but just the right size for strawberry cake) you were asking about and few others. Kind of have a bit of pottery, but I always just grab my corelle:)

Annie -- So we worried together, yes? I got a text last night: "eating some of the best guac and tortillas I've ever tasted." Had to confirm that meant Houston HA!

Elery spoiling you with some of the best looking steak I've seen in a while. Love that he did this, love it! Mine got me some m & m's LOL, and honestly I probably enjoyed them as much as you enjoyed your steak. Frittata, yes please, but I'm so taken that you styled those chive blossoms on there:) While I'm sure that you've had your fill of asparagus for the season, I'm sad this is the last HA!

Most importantly, out of everything, will be continuing to pray for Ashley and all connected with her upcoming surgery. Life can just be overwhelming at times, and I'll be praying for peace. Also, condolences for Elery's Aunt. I hope that his trip provided some comfort. ETA: Please know that "worried together" comment is in no way equating a road trip with Ashley's surgery -- I know you know that, but I just had to say it:)

Oh, just made some more Ribollita for us and for the elders. No china, just stainless:)

CathyinSWPA

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Wow, look at all the recent activity!!!

Before I go any further, Annie, along with everyone else, my thoughts extreme best wishes going out to Ashley and you at this difficult time.

Annie, you've always said you like your beef rare, and now that you've shown it, wow, you're not kidding! :-)

Ann_T, we buy little fish, and I really balk (refuse) to pay $9/lb for halibut. I wish I lived near you, every single time you make halibut you make me want to pay the price.

Neely, your pork chop and pasta is my kind of meal. So simple yet satisfying.

Shirl, our induction burner sits on top of the stove all the time. It's our go-to cooking source. We love it. It's also soooo handy to take out onto the balcony :-)

I have a confession to make: I hate Pinterest. Earlier this week I got a recipe in my email for Melted Potatoes, which is popular on Pinterest. Today was the day to try it. They are good!!

I also made pork tenderloin with an apricot/dijon glaze. It was just okay, it needed more flavour even though I added red pepper flakes. Plus the glaze all fell off.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Jasdip, I hate Pinterest too, and I really DO hate it. It's a time sucker, but the real problem is that there is a lovely picture, click for a recipe, which takes me to a blog that tells me they got it from another blog which tells me it actually came from XXXX, and no matter how many links I click, there's no recipe. Drives me nuts.....the potatoes look good, though.

Cathy, I guess we did worry together, I worried about Ashley being in Seattle, so far away, and you worried about your son in Texas, so far away. So she got good coffee and he got good tortillas, and all we got was a couple more gray hairs. (grin)

mamapinky, I think a radiologist would do it if it were just the embolization, but with the surgery, it's a surgeon doing everything (I think). They have a whole "team" with everyone from the stroke expert because of her stroke a couple of years ago, to a urologist because of the kidney, to the surgeon who is an expert in Nutcracker Syndrome, to the neurologist because of her seizures due to the stroke. So I'm sure hoping they do it all, while they have everyone there!

What's for Dinner? I dunno, I haven't cooked a single thing since Elery left. He'll be back Tuesday night late or early Wednesday. I haven't even made coffee, just put yesterday's coffee in the microwave this morning. Last night I had Raisin Bran, tonight I was thinking about toast, but that might be too much like cooking. (grin)

Annie

• User
    5 years ago

Annie, I was hoping you would post an update on Ashley. I've been thinking about your both.

Perfectly cooked steak. Just the way I like it too.

Cathy, I love your plates with the webbing.

Jasdip, I would think I died and went to heaven if halibut was only $9.00 a pound. I bought it on sale the other day and it was $20.Lb. It will probably be back up to around $27.lb this week.

I love roasted potatoes. Yours look great. Did you par boil them first and then rough them up in the pan before roasting?

I was up early this morning so I cold smoked a spatchcocked chicken and a couple of filets. The steaks were for breakfast and the chicken for dinner.

After two hours, I removed the steaks from the grill. Turned on three burners of the six burners and added the vegetables and when they were almost cooked,

I removed the chicken from the grill, turned on two more of the burners and grilled the steaks.

Once the vegetables and steaks were removed, I put the chicken back on the grill over indirect heat, and let the chicken finish cooking with the pellet smoke tube still providing more smoke.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Ann, no these were sliced thick, tossed with melted butter and rosemary then roasted at 450°. At the same time I roasted chicken parts that were marinated in olive oil, garlic and lemon slices, for Monday's dinner.

I have 3 cast iron skillets and the largest one had the potatoes in, so I roasted the chicken in a heavy metal baking pan. The chicken stuck and it was a bugger to clean. I wish I'd used my cast iron instead.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

All the delicious talk about scapes. Here is from my garden.

Diver Scallops, shrimps and garlic scapes.

dcarch

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Gonna dive right in – I can’t believe all these extraordinary meals! How long have I been MIA?!

Ann_t, your pork stir fry looks waaaay better than any of my stir fries (uh, see below)! If I could tolerate spice, I’d always add red peppers just for the color… I just have to make do with red bell peppers : )

Ok, I admit I had to read your post on the steaks and chicken 3 times before I followed it, LOL! That’s a lot of grillin’! Your chicken is delicious looking and knowing it was smoked… makes it even better.

I'm gonna get right to it: That steak is just too darned perfect. You grilled it for 2 hours? Please, please with sugar on top, would you detail your steak cooking method? Did you grill over indirect those first 2 hours, and what temp did you aim for at that time?

Ahem.. {trying to get your attention} waving back at CathyinPa! No one will ever ban you! And your “meal on the pretty plate” made my day last Friday! Ok, it was actually your “virtual” wave that put a huge smile on my face in what was otherwise a hot, muggy, somewhat tiring day : ) I smiled the rest of the day – no lie!

Yes, I sure did IP the Zuppa (sounds like a Weird Al Yankovic song, doesn’t it?) – I didn’t change much in the recipe either, just used fresh herbs coz I had some and added basil. DH isn’t a broth man, and he tipped his bowl for those last drops! By the way, beautiful dishes and plates you have… still wishing I’d not gotten rid of mine : / Happy to hear your son handled the moving truck drive to Texas… that was a long haul! Must’ve been a very sweet girl he moved furniture for : ) Had to look up Ribollita – I do love a good veggie soup and that looks loaded with all the good stuff : )

laslaslas14, your sausage dinner does sound good (ok, except the “hot” part, I’m a wimp) and I’ll have to try a bit of molasses and your other ingredients on my next veggies. Always wonder what to do with molasses other than cookies and baked beans!

Neely, chestnut soup? That sounds delicious, and ambitious. Our grocery has had the same two boxes of unshelled chestnuts since December… too expensive here. Last time I had chestnuts we’d visited a local farm to pick up corn and they let us pick up as many as we could carry from their tree – that was at least 15 years ago : ) The topping on your lamb shanks (also can’t get those!) looks perfectly luscious, and the zucchini, pasta, and broccoli combined is making me hungry…

Annie1992, I wish either me or DH could get our steaks to look like that – wonderfully rare! Sweet of your DH : ) And I already commented on your frittata and steak salad on the other thread, but I’ll say it again, both are yummy looking! Either sliced steak or a poached egg on a salad and I’m just the happiest camper. Hafta admit, that tiny piece of venison still looks good, but I feel for you : ) But than again, you did have those lovely asparagus.

I’m very sorry to hear of Elery’s Aunt and I hope he has a safe trip. I’ve been wondering about your daughter’s surgery, and am guessing this first one went well? I will keep her, you, and all yours in my thoughts and prayers : ) That is a big one and especially given all your daughter has been through thus far. I hope this next goes more than well.

Jasdip, I’m not even on Pinterest and I hate it! Only because I occasionally see DIY things that catch my eye and can never get to them because, well, I’m not on Pinterest : ) So, never heard of melting potatoes… they look like fried or grilled potatoes? Apricot and Dijon glaze on pork tenderloin. That sounds soooo good.

Whew, gonna start a new post for pic’s! I’m so dang hungry now!

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I have to say this: I’ve been active in other forums on the ‘interweb’ before – years actually, but none so inspirational, with so many amazingly kind, thoughtful, and generous people. I want to say thanks again to everyone for helping me along the way, for inspiring me to try new things, for all the tips I’ve learned too, and for making me smile, laugh, and even giggle. I found myself checking GW Cooking on my cell last Friday when I hit a small wall, and all my little troubles just melted away.. and I was really hungry after that too! Ha! I only worry lately I’ll forget all the things I see (like today!) before we get the kitchen done (and it’s looking like forever before that happens!), but I figure all good things come around again. They always do : ) Sleevendog’s version of Nasu Dengaku (and that avant garde pie crust!), Ann’s rare beef and Yorkshire pudding, the tip I picked up from Annie to refrigerate cookie dough so the cookies will bake ‘puffy’, the zucchini and spinach pancakes (and raspberry choco ice cream!), Neely’s chunkier than chunky beef stew (and I want to try falafel), Jasdip’s CI chicken with hoisin and putting saffron in basmati rice, sourdough bread inspired by Ann and Cathy, and learning to sous vide from Dcarch’s inspiring meals are a few I remember off the bat… so many more though. Really, I could have gone on and on (and did a bit there). Recipes gathered from other threads, so many amazing cooks here!

Friday I made Mu Shu Beef, and my first Asian pancakes in the electric skillet no less… a bit underdone (the pancakes) and DH wasn’t hungry yet, so the mu shu sat on warm too long. Hoisin sauce dribbled on. We had the leftovers Sat for lunch. Saturday morning I poofed some cinnamon rolls for DH as he was pulling down ceiling drywall that day (which he hates) and he needed a treat to get him kick-started. I didn’t need a treat but I ate one too ; )

Photos for uploading · More Info
    Saturday found me with a fresh bottle of propane and a new working butane torch compliments of DH, so smoked ribs here I came! The pellet tube ran out with 30 minutes to go but only because I decided to lower the temp and grill the ribs over indirect for a full 4 hours rather than the 3, and I’d not filled the tube all the way (duh). Fall off the bone tender using ann_t’s Greek marinade, and despite the amazing smoky taste, we did use a bit of BBQ sauce. Grilled corn on the cob and baked potatoes, which our old toaster oven struggled to bake, but in the end it came through.

Sunday morning we had egg-bites (or if you prefer, IP steamed frittatas!), and Gorgonzola burgers for dinner. Ran out of yellow onions so used red with mushrooms, grilled, to top burgers. ETA: That's the bottom of the burger, I add more beef on the top to 'trap' the cheese.

Baked beans cooked in the IP with bourbon and brown sugar, and more grilled corn (which we’d eat everyday if we could). Yes, I put mayo on my burger, I'm weird.

Followed Ann’s que and this morning I smoked cheeses using the pellet tube. Due to lack of forethought I smoked both mild and sharp cheddar (and now don’t know which are which!), and also Swiss (I don’t even like swiss!), and some Colby/Jack. Kinda went overboard and smoked for 3-4 hours even after slicing it all into small pieces – even the Swiss has me drooling! The smoke flavor is amazing! Forgot to take many photos, so just this:

So, guess what we’re having for dinner tonight? Yup, cheese. Probably something else too. Sorry I blathered on a bit : )

Oh lovely, now I want to make scallops and scapes. Thank you for the inspiration dcarch! That would be my pick of meals for tonight if I could choose : ) Actually I'd dine on that dish the next 5 nights and I know I wouldn't get tired of it.

5 years ago

Neely, I'll have to remember the chestnut soup when we get fresh...maybe roasted garlic...It is the color of one of my pups, taupe. Wiemaraner. Sweet girl she is.

Steak and spatchcocked chicken is our comforts.

Ashley will be in our thoughts. Horrid to search for a solution. So hope the right path and series of specialists are on their way to solve this.

Been busy gardening, a never ending list of projects this time of year.

It was gorgeous and overcast all weekend, 70º.

We smoked/bbq'ed. Sirloin, great sausages. And tested a corn cake rhubarb 'thing'.

Every weekend new flowers.

Grape leaves are tender and perfect for dolmas....freezing a few hundred.

Looking for new recipes...

(posting as I've lost some recently)

5 years ago

2MD, we were posting at the same time last night, then I got busy with pups and dinner. Your cheese looks great. !

I cut the blocks into smaller blocks for quicker smoking but you did good!

We had an anniversary dinner last Thursday...I nailed it with roasted miso glazed pork and DH's favorite Nasu Eggplant. (29yrs)

We will be cold smoking cheese and salmon up-coming weekend if I can get the salmon I want...

I'm all over the rhubarb recipes. Pulled about 30 lbs so I could mow between the beds.

Made a trial 'muffin top' rhubarb corn cake. Failure visually but killer in flavor. I halved the recipe but the cast iron dutch oven top is bigger than I thought. 8inch would be better but a good test. I made 6 pre-mixed kits and would have made more but the weather was so nice....I'll save it for a rainy day project...ordering the round muffin cast iron. The reviews are so good and some make biscuits in 3 and eggs in the other 4. At the same time.

This is savory with just a tsp of coconut palm sugar that is caramel in flavor, less sweet than most sugars....finished with sea salt. I added the rhubarb after 5 min and would have half sunk in a smaller pan.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Sleeve, another example of creativity I want to remember! I'd never have thought to add rhubarb to a corn cake - sure looks good! I can't find rhubarb here so will have to come up with another addition idea. And you just had to mention that Nasu eggplant again, didn't ya?! I've decided not to order miso until things settle down here, so until then I must live vicariously through yours : )

Happy 29th Anniversary!

The cheese blocks ranged in size from 1" x 1" x 4" to 3/4" x 3/4" x 4" - I just smoked them longer because I wanted them saturated with hickory smoke : ) Some got a bit melty, but gosh, who cares? I tried ice, but it's just too hot even in the mornings here now. I've added yet another item to my list of foods I make myself rather than buy : ) : ) : )

Last night we had an assortment of smoked cheeses (DH was duly impressed with the wonderful flavor), along with Genoa salami, copa, prosciutto, and pastrami. Thin sliced baguette, basil pesto, mustards, and onions to make bite-sized sammies. Grapes and apples, carrots and peppers with hummus. Pickled okra, kalamata olives. Everything store-bought except the smoked cheese, basil pesto, and mustards. No pic as it wasn't attractive served on multiple little boards, in plastic cups, and plastic bowls. All was served on our cable spool table, covered with a white trash bag table cloth. Ah, fine dining : ) Hey, I did move the paint cans off!

ETA: I really should learn to scroll up more... Sleevendog, your flowers are beautiful! I miss fresh flowers in the house, but will begin planting next year. Until then, it's fresh herbs as arrangements.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Jasdip -- I hate pinterest too HA! When I search anything, I always use "-pinterest" so it doesn't use that term. So, the potatoes? Well, number one with me. Have to tell you though that apricot/dijon glaze sounds like it would have been a winner.

Ann_t -- side bar "was up early this morning" My favorite time to cook too:) And so I may pass on fish, but I'd eat every single thing you shared -- all of it. BTW, when I grill mushrooms on a skewer, they never turn and just keep rolling back to the first grilled side laughing at me:)

dcarch -- not that I needed prodding to try this garlic scape thing, but wow! your pic is the cherry on top. BTW, with that garden do you find that your drawn to just "check on things outside" about a bazillion times a day? HA! I do.

2Many -- Your kitchen is basically on a hiatus and you post this? I'm laughing. Good Lord, what will we see when your kitchen is complete. Please share about the asian pancakes. Ceiling drywall? Gah! Remember Mike Rowe -- Dirty Jobs "terrible, just terrible." Did you soak the IP beans -- they look perfect with no "blow outs" Yeah! So, I'm putting my fingers in my ears and singing "lalalala" when you write pellet smoker tube -- do not need another toy. That said, my goodness, I'd eat everything and we have mayo lovers here too:)

sleevendog -- your anniversary? I hope that you had a wonderful day. A "nailed" roasted miso pork underscores the celebration in the best way! Love the pics

I made this stromboli a while ago and we're POOFing some tonight.

Not the best pepperoni, but it'll do.

There is extra sauce (in the freezer somewhere).
    Need to get ready for DD and SIL coming home this weekend. If you don't hear from me, it's because I'm trying my hand at some annual cleaning.

CathyinSWPA

• User
    5 years ago

2ManyDiversions. NO NO NO!!!!!!!! LOL!!! I guess I didn't explain very well. The steaks were grilled over high heat for just a couple of minutes. But prior to that, they were cold smoked for about two hours. I wanted to infuse them with some smoke before grilling. The steaks didn't even get warm, but they did take on a nice smoke.

I took the steaks off the grill before turning it on for the vegetables. Once the vegetables were just about done, I turned two of the right side burners on to high and grilled the steaks. When the vegetables and steaks came off the grill, I put the chicken back on (pellet tube was still smoking) and roasted the chicken over indirect heat.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

OMG, Ann, I laughed so hard at your response I choked myself and couldn't stop coughing and laughing for some time!!! Weeeell, heck, I didn't know! I'm so embarrassed : ) I'll never grill the perfect steak, never! My neighbor grills amazing steaks and he's out there for a good 30 minutes! How for crying out loud??!! What he doing? And they are medium rare? 2 minutes, 30, now I'm so confused! I'll get it one of these days by golly!

Too hot here to cold smoke much of anything. Maybe salt. It's killin' me. I broke down and ordered some curing salt so when I have time (yeah, right) I can make Annie-inspired corned beef. Or perhaps Canadian bacon. I just want to smoke something else now! But I also want to grill a great steak. And not a tough, well-done one.

Cathy, yes, I did soak the beans : ) If I don't, I never get a good night's sleep, but we won't discuss DH's digestive system just now ; ) Mandarin Pancakes... they are really light, too. First time I ever made them, but was hungry for something resembling mu shu!

Honestly, I feel as if my cooking mo jo had dried up. The 3rd location of the temp kitchen is against a wall, no windows, only a dim light behind me. The bins are rather jumbled now. And I have my brain on other things. I appreciate the compliment Cathy, but gosh, stromboli? Another meal on my 'want to do' list, which I've never made. Sure looks good! We do love pepperoni : ) Good luck with your annual cleaning!

• neely
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Scapes, scallops and shrimp... looks delicious dcarch.

Love, love this forum and this thread, something new or different to think about cooking all the time. I have of course heard of stromboli through films and TV but never seen it so explicitly thanks to Cathy... another one to add to the must make collection. You do make me laugh Cathy this time the housework reference.

Also had a chuckle at the mix up with the grilling and smoking between AnnT and 2 many. Steak looked great by the way. And I'm amazed at how much cooking you are doing 2many. Can't keep a good cook down.

Perhaps Elery is home now and Annie has resumed cooking... nice to have a break occasionally when with a partner, and funny what we eat when that happens. I posted a while ago when this happened to me, that I craved an Asian omelette. Of all things I could have had. Weird. Thinking positively for Ashley.

Jasdip, melted potatoes sound and look yummy. While wishing congratulations to Sleevendog , I must add that the words "muffin top rhubarb corn cake' just does not register in my brain but trust it was good.

Anyway, not been very adventurous with our cooking here at the moment.

Fried chicken and broccoli. Sliced tender loins.

Another dinner below was good old steak and fries with a completely 70's retro serving of avocado in its shell with French dressing. DH has been cooking the fries lately.

5 years ago

We are getting some great avocados now. DH has often one for desert and I have popcorn....

Odd to have a favorite winter boneless skinless chicken thigh dish now approaching summer...still good and easy no mater the temps.

18 thighs in a single layer, covered in veg...no added moisture, 40 minutes braising stove top.. Sheet pan chicken with a miso glaze and into the oven to roast/broil. Reduce pan juices and I added 3 rhubarbs stalks diced...

6 meals, some frozen, rolled in parm panko bbq sauce... good leftovers and some for later easy tacos in frozen food saver packets. ( we need some easy meals this time of year)

I made a mixed sprouted grain and a pot of beans.

• laslaslas14
    5 years ago

First chef's salad of the season for dinner last night. We will eat at least 5 such salads a week for at least a month, sometimes six weeks. I put the bowl of dry lettuce from the garden on a serving table surrounded by toppings, sometimes dressings, but often just a lot of flavored rice vinegar over a bowl of kidney beans or chick peas and onions. I do it this way so I can prepare a lot of lettuce at once. If it's dried well in a spinner and wrapped in paper towels and then put in plastic bags it will stay crispy for a week.

Toppings: Boiled eggs, chopped chicken, cheese cubes, croutons, avocadoes, tomatoes, kidney beans, chick peas, onions, hmmm..... whatever I might think of.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

laslas, my husband would like that salad, especially the beans with rice vinegar.

Happy Anniversary, sleevendog. All your food looks delicious, but the rhubarb corn cake sounds really good.

Neely, Elery is back home, he got back yesterday, but I'm just tired of trying to cook. I've defaulted to a protein and a vegetable. The vegetable is done in the microwave mostly, and Elery has a salad with his. It's usually not picture worthy. (shrug) Tonight it was pork and brussels sprouts. Lots of salt, because most sauces and marinades are "not allowed".

I did get a nice batch of garlic scapes from the garden though. Too bad I can't figure out what the heck to do with them that's "allowed"!

Annie

5 years ago

I can't think of a low-cal scape dish off the cuff. Maybe diced and steamed with a half rib of chopped rhubarb and 1/4 cup of cooked white beans or garbanzos. Garlic.

I've been rhubarb madd recently. But I have sooo much of it. Just made another batch of juice...the tartness softens once stewed and pressed through a strainer. It is a vegetable after all! So good for you and free. I'm using it anywhere a recipe calls for lemon or lime. (both crazy expensive year round here being imported).

The pink one ^. I need to ice cube tray a few pounds.

The muffin 'tin' is perfect. (just ordered yesterday and here 10am today...what?!)

It is the size of the inside dimensions of a wide ball jar lid. But a 1/4 inch taller. The size of an English muffin. Very happy. Will easily fit a two egg frittata. Or one egg with a ton of veggies. I think it will be multi-purpose as I was hoping. Fits perfectly on my big center burner. : ). (I so dislike bad purchases).

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Neely, what a kind thing to say, especially given how you inspire me and all the wonderful meals you prepare : ) And about the steak mix-up, do you know I actually googled that? 2 hour grilling time for steaks? Of course, I didn’t find a thing, thank goodness! All these steaks everyone is cooking is killin’ me I tell ya! But it’s your fried chicken and broccoli that makes my mouth water today, Neely. Lookin’ good!

I must be hungry for chicken today because Sleevendog’s chicken thighs also make my mouth water… and you know how I love your cooking and prep photos : ) Ooooh, nice muffin tin!!! So happy it’s such a good size – I’d never have guessed looking online it’d hold a 2-egg frittata. How useful will that be!

Laslas, who doesn’t love a good chef’s salad? Thank you for the lettuce storage tip – DH wants lettuce in our garden (when we get to that), and that’s the way I store the store-bought stuff after cleaning it. I’ve never thought to set out chick peas, beans, and onions in rice vinegar… Another inspiration for me : ) Last year we ate quite a few chef’s salads.

Annie, sounds like you are really burned out from the diet : ( Also, as Sleevendog has mentioned, this time of year there’s so much else going on, cooking takes a huge bite of time and energy. Couldn’t you add those lovely scapes to your veggies? What about steaming the scapes with your broccoli, or cauliflower? I don’t know, just a thought. Oh! Sleevendog just posted, and I like her idea far better.

Last night was Subway and baked chips which we brought back and ate on the porch, despite the heat. It was actually not bad and any break from the interior is a good break. Tonight is poofed pork chops and wild rice. I am working on something a bit special for DH this weekend : )

Also picked up 2 huge rib eyes because the only way I’m gonna learn to grill them is… well, by grilling them! Think I’ll do one at a time and DH and I can split the steak. Keeping fingers crossed, and aiming for a Saturday night steak dinner : )

• laslaslas14
    5 years ago

Really weird meal tonight.

Have to use up my rhubarb, green garlic and chives. Have lots of such recipes to try. Wanted to share with my daughter who came by tonight. So: Chive/green garlic pesto on thin spaghetti, Pork/rhubarb skillet over rice and chive/green garlic mini potato cakes. And she’s on a low carb diet!!!! But she made and exception.

5 years ago

Pork/rhubarb skillet sounds good. Last summer I made a caramelized onion/apple/rhubarb sauce and froze in containers for winter meals.

Testing the CI last night was interesting. All good and made a full tray of frittatas. Chocolate wafers for ice cream sandwiches were a disaster but that was a recipe flaw.

Back burner smoked corn salsa unrelated but had with leftover ribs pulled from the freezer.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I think that would make a great popover pan. Cornbread muffins, mini meatloaves, yum!

5 years ago

I've had the fish, bears and corncob CI for year found at yardsales but so awkward in and out of the oven and really don't hold much batter for such heavy pans.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Here is Pork Stew with Rhubarb and either or both: apples or Asian pears.

Enjoyed. The link is to my blog, I may well do this while I am here, although usually I'd rather not link from one site to another without a request, but Houzz is being annoying these days. So here you go.

https://goatsandgreens.wordpress.com/2018/06/15/recipe-slow-cooker-pork-rhubarb-apple-stew/

• shirl36
    5 years ago

Yesterday baked a apple pie in a 8” CI skillet. A first.

A little different recipe in assembling.....melted butter and brown sugar together in skillet...cooled....added bottom crust..then apples with sugar, thickening and cinnamon...top crust...baked 1 1/2 hrs at 350. Very good but so rich.

Carmel on bottom did not slice out well on first slices... this am sliced perfect.

I have had the darkest time setting this thread up, things not working easy....bout gave up.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Shirl that pie looks sooo good. I took butter out of the freezer this morning and out it in the frig. Sometime this weekend I plan to make AnnT's all butter crust for apple pie.

• laslaslas14
    5 years ago

artemis_ma, thanks for the link!

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Shirl, I love your top crust being in pieces!!! Did you cut them out with a cookie cutter?

5 years ago

That looks like a biscuit crust. My Mother makes that. Just a top crust. That would be great as a quick busy weekend fruit tart.

Just the same YeOlde taco Tuesday and Friday. So easy using the previous weekends bbq and grilled veggies. Now have a few back-up packets in the freezer.

Nice to finally dine outside on the deck. I do cook on the Plancha all winter but it is a great serving platter and keeps everything nice and hot by heating it on a burner.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Thanks Sleeve, I honestly don't know if it's a biscuit or regular pastry crust.
    Hubby is sitting here whining that there's nothing for dessert, except ice cream. Your apple pie is making me feel guilty :-( Maybe tomorrow, although temps are heading for the 33°C mark (feeling like the 40's with the humidity). Baking might have to wait.

We both felt like steaks tonite. Heated up the leftover sweet and regular potatoes that hubby likes to make. The round thing is leftover mashed, with an egg and rolled into bread crumbs and heated.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

It's soooo hot today, so it was a slow-cooker day. Slow-cooker pork in a molasses, soy sauce, ac vinegar sauce. The leftovers will be used as pulled pork sandwiches later in the week.

I had a sweet potato all by its lonesome so he got cooked with Yukon Golds and mashed.

The carrots were sauteed in yep, you guess it.... my cast iron.

Dessert was Kate's French Apple Cake that she posted last week. Hubby declared it a keeper. I picked up a round metal baking pan at a yard sale yesterday, it's a bit small and the cake overflowed a bit, but it still did the job.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Oh my....you folks even make a carrot look...well....better than a carrot.

I would love to be able to cook like you kids cook...in the meantime I'll keep looking at your pictures, reading your posts and recipes and learning.

• User
    5 years ago

So many great looking meals.

2ManyDiversions. Your smoked cheese turned out great. I showed it to my son, who is the one the loves any kind of cheese but especially smoked. I like the idea of smoking a number of cheeses at the same time.

Neely, as much as I love all your meals, I honestly could make a meal of your perfect potatoes.

Sleevendog, good choice on the muffin pan. And the cornbread fish are adorable.

Shirl, nice flaky crust on your pie.

Jasdip, that cake is loaded with apples. Would love a piece for dinner. I can almost taste it.

I made smoked chicken sandwiches topped with lettuce, tomatoes and sliced avocado with a garlic mayonnaise from the chicken I smoked last week.

5 years ago

A perfect sandwich. Great combination with smoked chicken. I made a chunky smoked chicken salad with avocado, cherry toms, halved black grapes, and toasted cashews over baby greens, for a bridal shower....they went gaga over it and still talk about it.

The puffy apple cake looks delicious. I bet that top crust was delicious.