SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Escaped Hospital With Minor Injuries

chisue
5 years ago

Some days start out badly, but improve. Not yesterday.

I was scheduled for a bone marrow extraction at our nearby (10 minutes) hospital on Monday at 11 a.m.

Sunday night's rain continued when we got up. I completed my 24-hour urine collection and returned the jug to the fridge.

DH dropped me at the hospital and went to hunt for a parking space that was not flooded. He was back in time to come with me when I was called in by an aide. Ack! We realized my 'sample' was still at home in the fidge.

DH and I went with the aide to meet with my oncologist briefly. He went home to retrieve my sample, and I was shown to a large room for the procedure.

I lay on my stomach and the MD discovered that there was no 'good side' to use -- both sides of my pelvis were painful when compressed. She chose the right side and injected lidocaine -- felt like a yellow jacket sting. She then got the hollow needle in, then STOP! I bled too much for her to go on with the drill-and-retrieval part.

Rather than try again on the left side, she bandaged my back and said the hospital would set up another date for me to have a CT-assisted procedure. (I was thinking of you, wantoretire, and wondering why that had not been done in the first place.) She instructed me to lie on my back for 15 minutes be fore I got up and left. She went out to speak with my DH about the need to reschedule -- probably next week. She asked if I wanted my DH to come into the room, but I said no, thinking he'd be upset by the whole scene.

I lay there, keeping pressure on the wound. The same aide who'd checked us in came in to say I could leave, but I told her my doctor had instructed me to stay prone until noon. (I suppose they wanted the room.) When I saw I still had ten minutes to go, I asked her to DH he could come sit with me. I asked her to leave the door open, but she discovered that it was made to close and would need a prop to stay open. Oh, well. OK.

DH didn't appear. My watch reached noon. I sat up on the edge of the table to be sure I wasn't dizzy. No problem. I put my right foot on the floor to walk across the room to the door.

Have you ever had one second last at least a full minute while your brain tries to understand what is happening? As I put my weight on my right leg and started to swing the left one forward...I saw the walls of the room start to rise around me. I had no support from my right thigh. I pitched forward, landing on my knees and forearms on the floor.

HELP! HELP!

Ah, but the room is soundproof.

I couldn't crawl because my knees hurt so much. I sat on my bottom and scooted to the big, heavy door. Ack! I couldn't reach the latch! Banging on the door didn't bring help.

My left knee was not as sore as the right one, so I used it to leverage myself enough to pull the latch and get the door open a few inches. HELP!

An aide saw me from across the hall. She and an MD came running, lifted me by my arms and sat me on the table. "Did you hit your head," asked the MD. (No.)

My doctor and a hospital supervisor rushed in. "What happened?" "Do you want to be checked out at Emergency?"

I asked if they would give me some ice for my knees while we talked. I declined the ER. I had not hit my head, and I could bend my knees. What use the ER beyond more bills?

We concluded that the lidocaine had spread, leaving my right leg unable to support me.

They told my DH to get our car and brought me to it in a wheelchair. By the time we got home, I was able to hold onto walls and corners to find the cane I'd kept after hip replacement. I took a Tylenol #3 and kept the ice going.

The aide who found me on the floor called from the hospital around 3 p.m. to see how I was. I repeated to her what I'd told the supervisor:

Never leave a patient alone in a soundproof room with the door closed.

My caller said that she knew it didn't help, but that they'd been a person short that day. (Right, it didn't help at all.)

So...here I am, bloodied and bruised, without a successful marrow harvest to be tested.

When I said I'd return to the arms of the KT to moan and groan, I had no idea!

Comments (46)