SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27243269

Sports injury and parents situation

User
8 years ago

My son sustained a serious injury in high school sports last week. It occurred due to negligence by the coach. The coach and athletic department have done their diligence for the most part. It's a long story I won't get into here.

OK, so my question for all of you... a teammate of his *kinda* caused this injury. The coach wasn't enforcing a safety rule and the teammate acted silly and impulsively and injured my son. We don't blame the teammate and understand he's at an age when his decision-making skills aren't fully developed. I don't hold any teen boy accountable for his actions when a coach wasn't enforcing the rules. We are not litigious. The school is working with us to be sure all of our son's medical needs are addressed.

BUT! the parents of this teammate haven't contacted us to inquire how our son is doing. We've not heard anything from them. Either the teammate didn't tell his parents what happened (that's possible, although we're a small community so they should have heard by now), or he did tell his parents and they've decided not to contact us. We've known this family for several years. They are very, very strict on their kids and the teammate may have been hesitant to tell his parents.

My son wants to attend games this week as a fan to support his team and I will be with him. How would you address the teammate's parents who will be sitting with us in the stands?

Comments (59)