SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyakat

Unslightly transition from tile to drywall - need advice

katyakat
5 years ago

We're almost at the end of a gut bathroom renovation. From the beginning, we were not into the Schluter profile look. The tilers did a great job mitering around the window, the niche, and an outside corner. However, on the curb and one side of the shower, we had to go with Schluter. (Bullnose and pencil tiles were discussed and decided against for the curb, months ago when we put in the tile order. The side transition wasn't discussed in great detail at the time.)

On the left side, the tile runs into the drywall at a 90-degree angle, so no profile was needed. On the right side, however, they used a trim along the edge of the tiled area. I wasn't happy with the metallic look, but my husband convinced me it was better than leaving raw tile edge. I then asked the contractors if perhaps the wall could be brought out to hide the trim a bit, and they said they could totally do that.

They added an extra sheet of drywall to bring it (more or less) level with the tiles. From far away, it looks great.

From close up though, it's awful. I understand that our wall bows out slightly, so the drywall can't line up with the trim perfectly, and the bead sticks out somewhat and can't be sanded down. But what bothers me is the gap of almost 1/8" between the trim and the drywall, and the way it's just spackled and painted over. They are still going to do some "touch ups" on it, but I'm not convinced a simple touch up will make it look good.

Finally, it was just brought to my attention that, since we won't have a full glass enclosure (just a partial glass wall on the left side), the bits of water that will inevitably spray onto this drywall and spackled gap could cause problems down the line.

Did the drywall guy do a crappy job, or are we asking for too much? I feel like they shouldn't have made it sound so "doable" if they knew it would be difficult to line it up nicely.

Any advice on how to fix it at this stage, or is the only way to rip out the drywall and start again? Is it even possible to line it up well if the tile is already in place? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)