SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Grandma's Sweet Relish

annie1992
5 years ago

2many diversions asked for this recipe on another thread, and so it doesn't get lost, I told her I'd make a new thread.

If anyone gardens and cans, this is a great use for those great big cucumbers that hide under the leaves and lurk there until they are too big. Since they are all chopped up for relish, the size just doesn't seem to matter, the seeds aren't too tough and neither is the peel. My son in law loves the stuff, so I make it every year.

I put all the onions, peppers and cucumbers through the food processor, although I like the texture better with the grating blade rather than just chopped. You wouldn't think the turmeric would really make a difference at this amount, but it does, do not leave it out. The recipe calls for cooking for an hour but I find that if I squeeze the moisture out of the veggies it cooks in much less time, I cook it until it's "thick enough" to be a viable relish on burgers, hot dogs or pulled pork. Elery sometimes eats it on beans, says it's a southern thing.

CUCUMBER RELISH (GRANDMA'S RECIPE)

4 cups ground cucumbers
4 large onions, ground up
4 green peppers, ground up
1 or 2 red peppers, ground up
1 tbls. Salt
4 tsp celery seed
2 tsp. Turmeric
1½ tsp. Pepper
4 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar

Combine veggies and salt and let stand for 2 hours. Drain well, add rest of ingredients and cook slowly for 1 hour. Pack hot into hot jars and process in boiling water bath 15 minutes for pints.

Makes 6- 8 pints

Annie

Comments (14)