SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anmeador

Poor Pilea needs help!

Ashley Meador
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I got this little cutie at a nursery about 3 weeks ago. She is a Pilea Peperomia and the brown spots were already present, but they weren't as pronounced as they are now, but otherwise it looked great. When I repotted the roots closest to the plant looked good, but farther down i pulled out what looked like hair clumps and throughout the soul there were flat gold flakes of something. I potted in it a terra cotta pot that was approximately 2 inches wider than the pot she came in, with succulent dirt that has some orchid mix for better aeration. I've watered it twice since i've had it, once after repotting and then again about a week and a half later, and both times I watered at the soil level, careful not to poor water over the leaves. I water until the water runs out the bottom and then I remove any excess water, if any, from the tray after about 30min-1 hour. I have not fertilized it but I also do not know how much/ how frequent the nursery fertilizes their plants. It has been on a table, about 10-15 feet from a south-east facing window (no curtains or trees outside) where I rotate it every couple days and every day it just looks worse and worse. It's had 2 or 3 leaves already fall off, they were yellow with big brown spots and some even felt mushy, which is crazy because i've allowed the top 2 inches of the soil to dry out before I watered again. I have moved her to a room where she is over 10 feet away from a north west facing window and about 20 ft away from a south west facing windows ( no curtains or trees outside) just incase it was getting too much sun but its still quickly deteriorating. There are 2 sets of photos, taken only 24 hours apart. Please help! Is there anything I can do or need to stop doing?

Comments (5)